Echo Ambiguous Commands

BONeil

I know with enabling 'rooms' in Echo I can tell Alexa to 'Turn on the lights' and based on the room\echo association, it will turn on only the lights in the room associated with that particular Echo I gave the command to.

Can I do this with other devices? For example, I have reading lamps in my living room and office. I would like to be able to say "Alexa, turn on the reading lamp" and turn on only that reading lamp in the same room as the Echo. In the portal I noticed it does not allow you to add devices with duplicate spoken names. 

The Alexa app won't let you create the same group names, but you would be able to use them as room triggers.

Make a group for living room and put the reading lamp and the echo in that group and should be able to say "Alexa, turn lamp/light on". Do the same for the office. Depends if you have other lights setup in the group already. You could possibly change the type to a plug and control it differently or give it a custom group name to help you finetune what trigger you can use.

Maybe @bmercier can help confirm if this is possible or steps to do it differently with ISY and Alexa App setup. Trial and error never hurts though. 

On 4/26/2021 at 5:13 PM, BONeil said:

I know with enabling 'rooms' in Echo I can tell Alexa to 'Turn on the lights' and based on the room\echo association, it will turn on only the lights in the room associated with that particular Echo I gave the command to.

Can I do this with other devices? For example, I have reading lamps in my living room and office. I would like to be able to say "Alexa, turn on the reading lamp" and turn on only that reading lamp in the same room as the Echo. In the portal I noticed it does not allow you to add devices with duplicate spoken names. 

It has been my experience that this is not possible. When adding other devices they will turn on and off when you instruct Alex to turn on the light. If I am wrong though I would love to find the answer. I have tried quite a few times with no success.

Tim

Archived