Using Adjust Scene puts motion sensors in perpetual state of needing to write updates?

Oakland Jeff

I wanted less latency with my motion sensor triggered scenes (from program execution), so I'm experimenting with the technique (outlined by others) of creating a scene with the motion sensor and the switch, and using Adjust Scene to change the on level based on time of day, and setting it to Ignore if I have manually hit the switch (that is, if I manually adjust the switch, I don't want the MS triggered scene setting to reassert itself until I turn the light off or the light programmatically times out)

Anyway, It seems that the motion sensors are in a constant state of trying to write updates as a result, and I fear the result is that I'm actually getting more latency and light failures because of network traffic. My old programmatic way of doing this never had these problems. So, what am I doing wrong that causes these writes to not be written to the motion sensors?

I've just converted 3 of my motions to use this technique and already my console is very unhappy...

427858240_2021-06-2020_35_42.thumb.png.13d16669a46115263beea28bf51364e5.png

Here are the relevant programs in my suite

Master Bath Adjust for Time - [ID 0059][Parent 002F]

If
        Program 'It's Dark Outside' is True

Then
        In 'Master Bedroom / Master Bath Recessed' Set 'Master Bedroom / ~Master Bath Recessed' To 8% in 2.0 seconds
        In 'Master Bedroom / ~Master Bath-Sensor' Set 'Master Bedroom / ~Master Bath Recessed' To 8% in 2.0 seconds, No retries

Else
        In 'Master Bedroom / Master Bath Recessed' Set 'Master Bedroom / ~Master Bath Recessed' To 40% in 2.0 seconds
        In 'Master Bedroom / ~Master Bath-Sensor' Set 'Master Bedroom / ~Master Bath Recessed' To ignore

I adjust the overall scene so when I ask google to turn on the light it does so correctly for the time of day, and you can see that during the day, I want the scene to ignore the motion sensor's control of the switch.

Then use this one for when I've touched a switch and want to disable the motion sensor for that reason...

Master Bath Ignore Sensors - [ID 005A][Parent 002F]

If
   - No Conditions - (To add one, press 'Schedule' or 'Condition')

Then
        In 'Master Bedroom / ~Master Bath-Sensor' Set 'Master Bedroom / ~Master Bath Recessed' To ignore

Else
   - No Actions - (To add one, press 'Action')

Finally here is the program that uses all these... invoked whenever I touch the switch:

Master Bath Switch Use - [ID 0041][Parent 002F]

If
        (
             'Master Bedroom / ~Master Bath Recessed' is switched On
          Or 'Master Bedroom / ~Master Bath Recessed' is switched Fast On
          Or 'Master Bedroom / ~Master Bath Recessed' is switched Fade Up
          Or 'Master Bedroom / ~Master Bath Recessed' is switched Fade Down
          Or 'Master Bedroom / ~Master Bath Recessed' is switched Fade Stop
          Or 'Master Bedroom / ~Master Bath Recessed' is switched Brighten
          Or 'Master Bedroom / ~Master Bath Recessed' is switched Dim
        )
    And 'Master Bedroom / ~Master Bath Recessed' is not switched Off
    And 'Master Bedroom / ~Master Bath Recessed' is not switched Fast Off

Then
        Run Program 'Master Bath Ignore Sensors' (Then Path)
        Disable Program 'Master Bath Motion Detect'

Else
        Stop program 'Master Bath Off Timers'
        Enable Program 'Master Bath Motion Detect'
        Run Program 'Master Bath Adjust for Time' (If)

Anyway, maybe more info than required but It probably can't hurt.

Thanks so much for your help!

Cheers,
Jeff

7 hours ago, Oakland Jeff said:

I wanted less latency with my motion sensor triggered scenes (from program execution), so I'm experimenting with the technique (outlined by others) of creating a scene with the motion sensor and the switch, and using Adjust Scene to change the on level based on time of day, and setting it to Ignore if I have manually hit the switch (that is, if I manually adjust the switch, I don't want the MS triggered scene setting to reassert itself until I turn the light off or the light programmatically times out)

Anyway, It seems that the motion sensors are in a constant state of trying to write updates as a result, and I fear the result is that I'm actually getting more latency and light failures because of network traffic. My old programmatic way of doing this never had these problems. So, what am I doing wrong that causes these writes to not be written to the motion sensors?

I've just converted 3 of my motions to use this technique and already my console is very unhappy...

427858240_2021-06-2020_35_42.thumb.png.13d16669a46115263beea28bf51364e5.png

Here are the relevant programs in my suite

Master Bath Adjust for Time - [ID 0059][Parent 002F]

If
        Program 'It's Dark Outside' is True

Then
        In 'Master Bedroom / Master Bath Recessed' Set 'Master Bedroom / ~Master Bath Recessed' To 8% in 2.0 seconds
        In 'Master Bedroom / ~Master Bath-Sensor' Set 'Master Bedroom / ~Master Bath Recessed' To 8% in 2.0 seconds, No retries

Else
        In 'Master Bedroom / Master Bath Recessed' Set 'Master Bedroom / ~Master Bath Recessed' To 40% in 2.0 seconds

I adjust the overall scene so when I ask google to turn on the light it does so correctly for the time of day, and you can see that during the day, I want the scene to ignore the motion sensor's control of the switch.

Then use this one for when I've touched a switch and want to disable the motion sensor for that reason...

Master Bath Ignore Sensors - [ID 005A][Parent 002F]

If
   - No Conditions - (To add one, press 'Schedule' or 'Condition')

Then

Else
   - No Actions - (To add one, press 'Action')

Finally here is the program that uses all these... invoked whenever I touch the switch:

Master Bath Switch Use - [ID 0041][Parent 002F]

If
        (
             'Master Bedroom / ~Master Bath Recessed' is switched On
          Or 'Master Bedroom / ~Master Bath Recessed' is switched Fast On
          Or 'Master Bedroom / ~Master Bath Recessed' is switched Fade Up
          Or 'Master Bedroom / ~Master Bath Recessed' is switched Fade Down
          Or 'Master Bedroom / ~Master Bath Recessed' is switched Fade Stop
          Or 'Master Bedroom / ~Master Bath Recessed' is switched Brighten
          Or 'Master Bedroom / ~Master Bath Recessed' is switched Dim
        )
    And 'Master Bedroom / ~Master Bath Recessed' is not switched Off
    And 'Master Bedroom / ~Master Bath Recessed' is not switched Fast Off

Then
        Run Program 'Master Bath Ignore Sensors' (Then Path)
        Disable Program 'Master Bath Motion Detect'

Else
        Stop program 'Master Bath Off Timers'
        Enable Program 'Master Bath Motion Detect'
        Run Program 'Master Bath Adjust for Time' (If)

Anyway, maybe more info than required but It probably can't hurt.

Thanks so much for your help!

Cheers,
Jeff

There's a bug right now where this doesn't work. Not sure if it's been fixed in 5.3.3

41 minutes ago, larryllix said:

I would say v5.3.3 fixed this. Works much better without tying up ISY CPU time.

I believe it is fixed in 5.3.3.  I use "adjust scene" to change on levels based on time and/or ambient light levels and it just works now.

It's actually fixed as of 5.3.2... but don't stop there just go to 5.3.3 where it's also fixed.   

After 5.3.3 is loaded you will need to get all the queued items written by putting the device in programming mode and writing updates to the device (it's on the device right click menu) once they are all written they shouldn't come back from using "adjust scene"

Thanks for all your help!

I upgraded from 5.3.0 to 5.3.3 and after I cleared out all the queued writes, everything has been working just great! I've proceeded to update all the rest of my program-only motion activated suites to the new-for-me Scene plus programmatic Scene Adjust. Very happy with the product and with the super helpful community (looking at you all!) always ready to pitch in.

Cheers,
Jeff

Archived