Strange problem with Ecobee 5, Alexa and ISY

brysonlndg

I have a strange problem that I dont know if it is Ecobee, Amazon, or the UD Portal causing the issue... I am thinking it is not the UD Portal, but who knows, i could be wrong.... I have searched the forums and done basic internet searches, but am coming up empty.

I have the Ecobee skill enabled (I have tried both Ecobee skills and it happens with both enabled), and I have the UD Portal skill enabled.

If I issue a voice command, say I have a scene called "Kitchen Island" for the main kitchen lights, with spoken word "kitchen" built as a scene, categorized as a lightimage.thumb.png.c037e6dc22b8f4e34dbeedfa92d9c7be.png

The ecobee thermostats (i have 2) which are both ecobee 5, with built in Alexa, both say "the skill linked with kitchen is not enabled, please enable the skill to control this device".

I unplugged every Echo device near either thermostat, and verified that when I say to turn this scene on, the scene does not turn on.

If I mute the microphone on the thermostat, the microphone icon goes red and stays red, and the light bar at the top of the thermostat turns red and stays red. I have disabled and reenabled the skills and it keeps happening.

Ideas?

What happens when you discover, from the ecobee5, after adding a dummy new device?

I have an ecobee4 with Alexa built in. After several attempts to enable it to work again,  turned it off permanently. Alexa information will tell you not to place speakers in a corner or against a wall. The stat never heard well and frequently  (several times per night) would respond to something on the TV.
The ecobee4 doesn't support WiFi5
The ecobee4 didn't arbitrate with other speakers and would answer clobber the other units in the room. ( I am finding they all must be on the same WiFi SSID and frequency band)
The ecobee4 didn't support about half of the features, other alexa boxes did = none of the later added features.

Amazon brag claims they have fixed all these ecobee4 bugs. I hope they have, at least somewhat.

Possibly the ecobee5 cannot support the ISY Portal skill.

i agree... I emailed ecobee support, no response other than their usual auto-form response, I dont have time to call and spend several hours trying to fight my way up the chain to someone who will acknowledge there is a problem and issue a ticket to fix it with their developers.  for now, I posted an Amazon review spelling out the bug and an annoying result of turning the microphone off at each device, hoping one of their people read the post and actually forward it to a developer... I am hoping i get caught up in the next couple weeks where I will have time to call

3 hours ago, larryllix said:

What happens when you discover, from the ecobee5, after adding a dummy new device?

I have an ecobee4 with Alexa built in. After several attempts to enable it to work again,  turned it off permanently. Alexa information will tell you not to place speakers in a corner or against a wall. The stat never heard well and frequently  (several times per night) would respond to something on the TV.
The ecobee4 doesn't support WiFi5
The ecobee4 didn't arbitrate with other speakers and would answer clobber the other units in the room. ( I am finding they all must be on the same WiFi SSID and frequency band)
The ecobee4 didn't support about half of the features, other alexa boxes did = none of the later added features.

Amazon brag claims they have fixed all these ecobee4 bugs. I hope they have, at least somewhat.

Possibly the ecobee5 cannot support the ISY Portal skill.

Have you tried doing a factory reset on the device and building it back in?  Since I have been troubleshooting this problem, I have been doing a forget all/discover from my pc since I have been troubleshooting this since  you cant forget all from the app on the phone... very annoying... 

What a strange problem.  Are there any other devices listed in Alexa that have the word 'kitchen" in them?

Is it just the kitchen scene that's a problem or are there other scenes/lights that don't work?

I have 2 ecobee5 thermostats and they seem to work identically to any native Echo that I have.  I have both skills enabled as well. I haven't tried it but I wonder if the skills are even necessary for the Alexa part of the ecobee to work.  I would think no but not sure.

Do you have multiple Amazon accounts?   Maybe they not on the same account?  Just throwing out ideas...  A call to Amazon may be the only way to sort this out.

Ok, so after finally taking the time to call ecobee support (ends up they didnt pinpoint the issue at all, but I stumbled across what was causing the issue after speaking with their support dude).

I wanted my Alexa commands for everything house related on a separate Amazon account, not tied to my CC for multiple reasons.  When I finally got the new Amazon account built (that required calling cust svc to get the second account activated), I went into alexa.amazon.com from my pc (cant do on mobile app) and deactivated skills and devices.  I signed onto the new Amazon account, and a couple days after doing this, added the ecobee thermostats to integrate with Alexa.  

While talking to the guy today, I decided to try getting the ecobee built on the primary Amazon account and see if it had something to do with multifactor authentication, because on the secondary account, it was not active because I dont have an extra cell phone to tie to that account, and the same phone number cannot be used twice.

When i logged into Alexa with the primary account info, i was shocked to see all devices still there including the thermostats.  I went through and deleted every scene, device, thermostat, deleted and verified all skills were bye-bye, and then deleted all Echos. 

I logged into the secondary account, and started re-adding Echos.  Then added skills, then discovered devices, then re-linked the ecobee thermostats one at a time.

everything works now... hope the solution to this fiasco helps someone else down the line...

thanks everybody

Archived