PG3 on Polisy

TJF1960

3 hours ago, Jimbo said:

No, good question. AFAIk it only replaces the slots that were occupied on PG2, but will need to confirm that with @bpwwer

The restore from PG2 backup does just that.  It takes whatever is in the PG2 backup file and attempts to restore it to PG3. 

It is an extension of the normal backup/restore process but has the various limitations in that the exact same node server must exist for PG3.  If the node server isn't available for PG3, that slot will be ignored.  Otherwise the slot on PG3 will be overwritten to match the PG2 slot as close as possible.

1 hour ago, bpwwer said:

The restore from PG2 backup does just that.  It takes whatever is in the PG2 backup file and attempts to restore it to PG3. 

It is an extension of the normal backup/restore process but has the various limitations in that the exact same node server must exist for PG3.  If the node server isn't available for PG3, that slot will be ignored.  Otherwise the slot on PG3 will be overwritten to match the PG2 slot as close as possible.

Tried restore and it failed.  Well some came over and some did not but the ones in pg2 never deleted and so I basically had two running in the same slot.  I tried deleting the one on pg2 and then it deleted the stuff from the ISY so I had to set it up all again on pg3.   My log is attached   LOOK at 14:39

pg3_2-16-2022_24243_PM.zip

so after my install failed I am manually deleting nodeservers.

One of mine Climacell shows as managed in PG2 and Pg3.  It shows up in ISY under list of nodeservers.  If I go under the NODESSERVER menu (in the ISY admin console) its not there but if I choose CONFIGURE at bottom of that menu its there under slot 20.

Does anyone have a way to delete that or am I just out a slot now??

I'm sorry that there are so many issues with migrating from PG2 to PG3, but PG3 is not yet complete and there has been zero development effort to create a migration process at this point.

A node server slot on the ISY can only be managed by one Polyglot and if something changes in the configuration of that slot, it can result in Polyglot thinking something else is managing it (i.e. marking it unmanaged).

The process should work something like this:

1. backup node servers with PG2.  Results in a pg2_node_server_backup_file
  2. Stop PG2, PG2 is no longer going to manage the node servers.
  3. Restore the pg2_node_server_backup_file using PG3.
  4. PG3 will update the slots on the ISY to change management of those slots from PG2 to PG3.
  5. Review and possibly restart the node servers on PG3

This is how the process should work, but it may be broken/buggy at this point as it is untested.  There is not yet any provision for migrating a single node server or maintaining a mix of PG2 and PG3 node servers.   

Because only one Polyglot can manage a slot and there isn't any way to migrate a single node server, the only current method is to delete the node server from PG2 (losing all nodes and programming). And then install/configure the node server on PG3 (and recreate any programming).  

6 minutes ago, bpwwer said:

I'm sorry that there are so many issues with migrating from PG2 to PG3, but PG3 is not yet complete and there has been zero development effort to create a migration process at this point.

A node server slot on the ISY can only be managed by one Polyglot and if something changes in the configuration of that slot, it can result in Polyglot thinking something else is managing it (i.e. marking it unmanaged).

The process should work something like this:

1. backup node servers with PG2.  Results in a pg2_node_server_backup_file
  2. Stop PG2, PG2 is no longer going to manage the node servers.
  3. Restore the pg2_node_server_backup_file using PG3.
  4. PG3 will update the slots on the ISY to change management of those slots from PG2 to PG3.
  5. Review and possibly restart the node servers on PG3

This is how the process should work, but it may be broken/buggy at this point as it is untested.  There is not yet any provision for migrating a single node server or maintaining a mix of PG2 and PG3 node servers.   

Because only one Polyglot can manage a slot and there isn't any way to migrate a single node server, the only current method is to delete the node server from PG2 (losing all nodes and programming). And then install/configure the node server on PG3 (and recreate any programming).  

My issue is that I need a terminal command to manually delete a nodeserver from polisy.  Its deleted from both pg2 and pg3 but still shows up in ISY.  I deleted the nodes but its still showing up as a server.  And if you go to PG3 and go to install it the slot is missing.  So I need to clear that slot. Something is messed up.

3 minutes ago, macjeff said:

Its deleted from both pg2 and pg3 but still shows up in ISY. 

If it's deleted from PG but still showing in the ISY then delete it from the ISY NodeServer menu.

Node Servers -> Configure -> NS to delete -> Click it to open the menu -> Click Delete

22 minutes ago, simplextech said:

If it's deleted from PG but still showing in the ISY then delete it from the ISY NodeServer menu.

Node Servers -> Configure -> NS to delete -> Click it to open the menu -> Click Delete

already tried that.  get the Socket Timeout Error every time

I think I need to go into polisy to the correct directory and us a RM command

Screen Shot 2022-02-16 at 8.26.46 PM.png

An update was posted for a Pg3 nodeserver and I dont see an UPDATE button in the store.

I can understand since PG3 allows multiple copies of the same nodeserver

How would you know there is any update?

And more important how do you install it without totally removing the nodeserver.

I had a developer try this and he got the same thing so this is an issue.

4 minutes ago, macjeff said:

An update was posted for a Pg3 nodeserver and I dont see an UPDATE button in the store.

I can understand since PG3 allows multiple copies of the same nodeserver

How would you know there is any update?

And more important how do you install it without totally removing the nodeserver.

I had a developer try this and he got the same thing so this is an issue.

Restarting the NS updates to the latest version. Notifications will happen in the future.

I mentioned this on earlier post and after some PM with some developers I was told to email UD tech support so I did but I want to post basically what I sent them here.

A nodeserver got screwed up in PG3 upgrade

It was both in Pg3 and Pg2 after the install

I did not realize it at first so I configured the Pg3 stuff.

Then I realized it, So I deleted it from pg2 but the Pg3 one deleted at the same time.

I checked and Both pg2 and pg3 show it as managed now

Then I went to reinstall but the slot is still taken.

I went into ISY and its there in nodeserver list.  

I go to configure and delete and get a Socket Error.

Rebooted ISY and Polisy and same thing

It is not in either the nodeservers (pg2) or ns (PG3) directory when I ssh.

So it must be in a database.

Any way to fix or am I out a slot?

32 minutes ago, macjeff said:

I mentioned this on earlier post and after some PM with some developers I was told to email UD tech support so I did but I want to post basically what I sent them here.

A nodeserver got screwed up in PG3 upgrade

It was both in Pg3 and Pg2 after the install

I did not realize it at first so I configured the Pg3 stuff.

Then I realized it, So I deleted it from pg2 but the Pg3 one deleted at the same time.

I checked and Both pg2 and pg3 show it as managed now

Then I went to reinstall but the slot is still taken.

I went into ISY and its there in nodeserver list.  

I go to configure and delete and get a Socket Error.

Rebooted ISY and Polisy and same thing

It is not in either the nodeservers (pg2) or ns (PG3) directory when I ssh.

So it must be in a database.

Any way to fix or am I out a slot?

What Nodeserver? There's a lot of different ones

1 minute ago, lilyoyo1 said:

What Nodeserver? There's a lot of different ones

Its climacell but tI dont think the issue is the nodeserver.  Its the fact that Pg2 and Pg3 sees something in a database saying its still installed but its not.  I assume the issue was caused by pg3 but both show it as managed so I cant do anything.  ISY sees it but wont delete it.  Tried running on a PC and two macs to make sure it was not some sort of local JAVA issue

Here are my thoughts after spending some time doing the upgrade......This is FYI only.  I know its beta (maybe alpha) and I love the challenge so please dont take this as an attack.

1. Upgrade needs some work.  It did a few of them but then got stuck and failed.  I posted the info.  I am almost 100% sure due to the failure both Pg2 and pg3 dont have a nodeserver installed but they both show something is in the old slot which says managed.  Posted on that too.

2. Installing nodeservers is a LOT slower.

3. It seems updating on the physical ISY is a lot slower after restart of ISY or Polisy.  My pg2 things are updated way before my pg3 things.

4. I like the interface but wish there was a restart polisy option (at least I dont see it) to reboot the entire polisy. I do from command line or Pg2 has the option.

5. Updates need some work.  As pointed out by Jimbo, no notification but they are coming. 

6. Would be nice to be able to roll back to old versions if you have an issue.  A lot of my things I run on pi have a menu you can install back versions.

7. Randomly and it could be after I reboot my computer or Polisy I have to login to Portal again.  Wonder why its not auto logging in?

8. Love the new store and purchase options but every time I click on Store the first time I log in, it says error getting purchases.  I have to then click on purchases and usually they pop up but as in #7 sometimes I have to log in again, and then go back to store and all is well.

To summarize- THANK YOU for your work.  Its a very good and mostly stable beta.  Needs some work, but overall its usable.  I hope the developers get rewarded for their hard work,.  Again THANK YOU

7 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

If you restore from PG2 to PG3 without first deleting the NS in PG2 you will have this issue. That should be part of the instructions. The only error is that you can't manually delete it from the ISY, for that we need Michel's help

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

If it was part of the instructions I missed it.  I thought it had to be in the ISY for the upgrade to see that you are running it.  At least it was only one of the nodeservers and not all of them,.   I can afford to lose one slot but not a dozen of them!!!

1 hour ago, macjeff said:

Here are my thoughts after spending some time doing the upgrade......This is FYI only.  I know its beta (maybe alpha) and I love the challenge so please dont take this as an attack.

1. Upgrade needs some work.  It did a few of them but then got stuck and failed.  I posted the info.  I am almost 100% sure due to the failure both Pg2 and pg3 dont have a nodeserver installed but they both show something is in the old slot which says managed.  Posted on that too.

3. It seems updating on the physical ISY is a lot slower after restart of ISY or Polisy.  My pg2 things are updated way before my pg3 things.

4. I like the interface but wish there was a restart polisy option (at least I dont see it) to reboot the entire polisy. I do from command line or Pg2 has the option.

5. Updates need some work.  As pointed out by Jimbo, no notification but they are coming. 

6. Would be nice to be able to roll back to old versions if you have an issue.  A lot of my things I run on pi have a menu you can install back versions.

7. Randomly and it could be after I reboot my computer or Polisy I have to login to Portal again.  Wonder why its not auto logging in?

8. Love the new store and purchase options but every time I click on Store the first time I log in, it says error getting purchases.  I have to then click on purchases and usually they pop up but as in #7 sometimes I have to log in again, and then go back to store and all is well.

To summarize- THANK YOU for your work.  Its a very good and mostly stable beta.  Needs some work, but overall its usable.  I hope the developers get rewarded for their hard work,.  Again THANK YOU

All great points. I like except#7. I wouldn't want it to auto login for security reasons. 

21 minutes ago, lilyoyo1 said:

All great points. I like except#7. I wouldn't want it to auto login for security reasons. 

Point well taken.

I was told when I move to ISY on polisy I wont see as much of the speed issue.

and with #7 maybe have it ask for login when it needs it.  for now you have to click on the purchases tab and see that its not logged in and log in.

@macjeffThank you for all the detailed feedback.   I can address some of now, and some of this on the list and will be address as time permits.

Yes, agreed.  As I posted somewhere else (earlier in this thread maybe), the migration process has not been worked on at all.  The current PG3 releases have been mainly focus on allowing node server developers to port their node servers and not on all the features needed by normal users.

This is good feedback.  I'm not sure why installing would be slower, but I haven't tried to compare.  I didn't think PG3 was doing anything differently from PG2 when installing a node server.    But I can understand if the node server startup/initialization is slower. We've made changes to try and improve the process to make it more reliable and part of that is that there are now cases where some processes wait for others to complete so they can't corrupt each other which was a problem with PG2.

2 hours ago, macjeff said:

This is supposed to be handled by the ISY software so it was removed from PG3.

This wasn't a requirement for the Polyglot framework.  It has been discussed but there isn't a clear path forward on how this can be implemented within the current framework.   This is not likely to be something that will be in the initial release of PG3 if ever.

There are some known issues with the store/portal authentication process.  In order to access purchase information and make purchases, you need to be authenticated with the Portal.  When you authenticate with the Portal the authentication is valid for about 1 hour and that authentication info is only held in memory for security reasons. 

There is a method to refresh the authentication automatically, which PG3 will do, but in most cases now, the refresh happens after it attempts to access the purchase info so that first attempt fails (which is why you see the message about failed to get purchase info).  A refresh or resync after that should succeed.   This will be improved, but right now, since it doesn't really effect functionality, it is lower priority. 

I finally started to move some Zwave devices from ISY to I-o-P and it is a time consuming task, especially having to rewrite my related programs.

It is actually a complex situation, as many devices are connected in programs. For instance, I have a Homeseer dimmer switch in my master bedroom that is programmed so that the sentinels show if lights are ON in specific rooms. Now that I moved the Zwave devices in 2 rooms to I-o_P, they no longer show the status on the Homeseer switch sentinels.

I would like to move some nodeservers to I-o-P, but two of my favorite niodeservers (Holidays Google and AVRemote) are not on PG3 yet. Is there a way to us PG2 nodeservers on I-o-P ?

2 minutes ago, asbril said:

I finally started to move some Zwave devices from ISY to I-o-P and it is a time consuming task, especially having to rewrite my related programs.

It is actually a complex situation, as many devices are connected in programs. For instance, I have a Homeseer dimmer switch in my master bedroom that is programmed so that the sentinels show if lights are ON in specific rooms. Now that I moved the Zwave devices in 2 rooms to I-o_P, they no longer show the status on the Homeseer switch sentinels.

I would like to move some nodeservers to I-o-P, but two of my favorite niodeservers (Holidays Google and AVRemote) are not on PG3 yet. Is there a way to us PG2 nodeservers on I-o-P ?

I have not got to that point.  Been working all day and was just about done and my PLM got all screwed up.  No scenes worked etc.   So now resetting PLM

but I was told you just change the IP address to that of the Polisy with the correct port and it should work.  And of course you have to have the portal on the new one.

53 minutes ago, macjeff said:

but I was told you just change the IP address to that of the Polisy with the correct port and it should work.  And of course you have to have the portal on the new one.

Where would I make that change ? In Polisy, inthe Administrative Console ????

36 minutes ago, dbwarner5 said:

@macjeff @asbril see if the first post here helps you 

Wow, this is long and complex.

On the one hand if the Nodeserver does not exist in PG 3 it can not be installed in I-o-P, but I also read that PG can be pointed to I-o-P.   

However, my migration will take a long time. I have some 80 Zwave devices and I have Minimotes (controlling curtains)  that are not easy to access. I am trying to migrate these if & when there is a Zwave migration tool.

What also complicates my situation is that so many devices are in programs to work together, that I can not migrate one wirhout the other. AND I extensively use Holidays Google nodeserver which does not (yet) exist in PG3. So I can not migrate the devices that are used with this nideserver.

The good news is that it seems (time will tell...)  that my ISY is working more smoothly, now that I have migrated 2 rooms and a few nodeservers. For a while now I have had  many 'memory full'  issues on my ISY, skipping programs as a result. Running ISY and I-o-P  alongside oneanother (until migration has been completed)  is a bit of a hasle, but maybe  it improves the performance of my setup in the meantime.

As aside, one of the rooms that I migrated is my office where I have the ISY, Polisy etc, and this resulted in a mesh issue of the ISY, with more distant devices having communication issues. I think that I resolved this by individually doing the 'Update Neighbors'.

My biggest issue is now that I need help with getting my Home Assistant to work again.... Help Needed :-) 

Archived