Update issues

jlamb

I seem to be having update issues on the polisy.  I can’t seem to update/upgrade.  I have version 2.2.8 and front end 2.2.8.  I have an upgrade button (to 2.2.11) but when I use it, it goes through what appears to be some kind of process, but when I log back in it still is on version 2.2.8.  Any suggestions on getting my polisy to update?

Thank you.  I’ve tried to SSH into polisy with putty, but can’t access.  I’m not sure I’m clear on the proper host name and port in the connection screen.  I’ve looked at the forum but can’t find the proper entry info.  Any further suggestions?

@jlamb

Here's the Polisy User Guide.

Latest Packages Not Installed

If the above does not work, you will need an ssh utility (such as putty) to connect to Polisy over the network: 1. ssh admin@polisy (you can change polisy to the IP address of your unit) 2. Default password is admin. Once this process is done, please change it 3. Run the following commands:

• sudo service polyglot stop
  • sudo service udx stop
  • sudo pkg update
  • sudo pkg upgrade
  • sudo service polyglot start
  • sudo service udx start

Perhaps that will help. It's been a while since I tried to go in with putty and not local to my Polisy at the moment to try the connection.

Note to change the user password once the process is complete. (So it isn't the default pass!)

4 minutes ago, jlamb said:

I reviewed that in the wiki, however it doesn’t address the port that putty asks for.  I’ve gone through those directions and replace admin with my actual username I set and also tried with my updated password.

The default ssh port is 22, which is what the Polisy uses.

So, I was able to login using SSH.  Went through the package update and upgrade commands  as suggested by Geddy.  After finishing, I logged back into my polisy with my web browser. It is still showing 2.2.8 as the version.  Not sure what I’m doing wrong. Any ideas?

1 hour ago, jlamb said:

So, I was able to login using SSH.  Went through the package update and upgrade commands  as suggested by Geddy.  After finishing, I logged back into my polisy with my web browser. It is still showing 2.2.8 as the version.  Not sure what I’m doing wrong. Any ideas?

Read through this thread, and you may get an idea of why:

@jlamb I'm not entirely sure what you're trying to upgrade, but it might be time to open a ticket with UDI to get specific help. We've tried most options that have been discussed previously. 

I just checked my Polisy to see how it compares to what you're saying...

Mine:

image.png

I haven't directly run any update packages in a while. I haven't tried it. One of those "ain't broke, don't fix it" moments. 

Have you checked the information here: https://www.universal-devices.com/polisy/

Submit a ticket here: https://www.universal-devices.com/my-tickets/

Thanks for the help.  Just trying to update the polisy to latest version as yours is showing Geddy.  However, mine is staying stuck at version 2.2.8. and front end version of 2.2.8.  My ISY version is 5.3.4 as yours shows.  I’ve tried the  methods as detailed in the polisy wiki but with no luck.  I will open a ticket as you suggest.

Thanks again!

7 hours ago, jlamb said:

Thanks for the help.  Just trying to update the polisy to latest version as yours is showing Geddy.  However, mine is staying stuck at version 2.2.8. and front end version of 2.2.8.  My ISY version is 5.3.4 as yours shows.  I’ve tried the  methods as detailed in the polisy wiki but with no luck.  I will open a ticket as you suggest.

Thanks again!

Sorry you couldn't get it updated. I'm sure UDI will take good care of you once a ticket is opened.

One last thing I would suggest is just going the "simple" route of using the multi purpose "button" on the front of the Polisy.
https://wiki.universal-devices.com/index.php?title=Polisy:User_Guide#Update_Polisy

Update and Upgrade All the Packages
               Click the button once.

Wait for the bootup sequence to finish:

Normal Bootup Sequence

• All three lights on the front light up when powered on
  • After a few seconds, only the left most stays lit for up to a minute
  • All three lights start blinking and a beeping sequence starts which lasts about 5 seconds
  • Everything is operational once only the left most light is lit

How old is your Polisy? And have you setup a bunch of stuff on it? I might suggest a factory reset (again using the button on the front), but that would be a last ditch effort. 

One last suggestion I have...I got mine just a few months ago and had a stalled update out of the box. I forget the command I used, but know I found it around here somewhere. I found this in another thread that somebody was having issues just logging in on the web portion. Not sure if this will help, but might force the update to 13. 

In SSH type these commands:

sudo pkg update && sudo pkg upgrade
cat /usr/local/etc/udx.d/static/update13.sh | sudo bash

(Try to copy/paste, but if you can't the line between update13.sh and sudo bash is the vertical line on the keyboard)

Hope that or the ticket route gets you fixed up. 

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a follow up on my issue.  I believe due to the age of the Polisy (I received the pro version when they first rolled out), it was having updating problems after trying the different suggestions in the forum and through the wiki.  As suggested here, I sent in a ticket to UDI.  Working with Michael, I tried different SSH commands he was asking me to complete and sent the outputs to him.  In the end,  Michael walked me through the process of allowing him remote access by which he logged in and fixed the issue.  I am now fully updated and functional and service was second to none! 

JL

7 hours ago, jlamb said:

I am now fully updated and functional and service was second to none! 

Great! Glad to hear it was resolved. Yes, UDI offers great support for their devices. The forums are good for general troubleshooting and trying to get answers for common issues. The Polisy has variables that Michel and the rest of UDI are just better suited to handle through their ticket and support methods. 

Enjoy the options Polisy brings!

Archived