How to update ZOOZ ZST10 700 stick

nadler

I thought this might help others.

From Zooz support:

The process for updating the ZST10 700 will be the same as the one described in this article, however at the main screen you'll need to pick OTW instead of OTA: https://www.support.getzooz.com/kb/article/253-how-to-perform-an-ota-firmware-update-on-zooz-devices/

Attached is the firmware that should help resolve the issue of the devices dropping offline.

You may need to try to have Simplicity Studio install the Z-Wave PC Controller by choosing "Manage installed packages" instead of "Install by technology type".

Please give the update a try and let us know if you have any questions about the process.

Note:  I haven't tried this yet.

I will try to attach the firmware to this message when I receive it from ZOOZ

• Like 3

Thanks, I tried this out more for interest as my zooz dongle is working ok.

I presume the controller version is 7.17?

The instructions were slightly incorrect for me.  Basically I did the install of the Simplicity sw and technology (used All) which also installs the drivers.

I then selected the controller on the left then clicked the Tools icon on the right then scrolled down to Zwave Controller which launches the icon panel, then I selected OTW Firmware Update.

I determined I was on v7.15 through the Simplicity sw and tried to update using OTW but got this error.

Capture.thumb.PNG.83e9e37548413ae50321dd97a1fe0de4.PNG

1 hour ago, mmb said:

Thanks, I tried this out more for interest as my zooz dongle is working ok.

I presume the controller version is 7.17?

The instructions were slightly incorrect for me.  Basically I did the install of the Simplicity sw and technology (used All) which also installs the drivers.

I then selected the controller on the left then clicked the Tools icon on the right then scrolled down to Zwave Controller which launches the icon panel, then I selected OTW Firmware Update.

I determined I was on v7.15 through the Simplicity sw and tried to update using OTW but got this error.

Capture.thumb.PNG.83e9e37548413ae50321dd97a1fe0de4.PNG

I'm going to send you message to zooz and see if they have anything to say about it.

• Like 1

I believe you will get that error when the version of firmware you are installing is the same as what is already installed. Anyway that's what happens when I try to install the same version using Simplicity Studio.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kzboray said:

I believe you will get that error when the version of firmware you are installing is the same as what is already installed. Anyway that's what happens when I try to install the same version using Simplicity Studio.

That was my first thought but SS reported my Zooz at 7.15 and I think the upgrade Nadler provided is 7.17.

Capture2.PNG----------------------------------------------------------------------

Capture4.PNG.e42f9dc34c0558fbf57ebb39a9ec2859.PNG

Maybe I'm wrong.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edited by mmb
Added image

I can confirm that the supplied file is indeed for version 7.17.x and I was successful in updating my own S2 700. When queried now it reports 7.17.x and not 7.15.x as it did before I did the update. I wish I could offer more help, but it's the blind leading the blind at this point.

• Like 1

One thing I notice that is different is the Tools panel. Mine is fully populated with available selections. Yours seems to be grayed out. Maybe verify you have completed the installation for Simplicity Studio? It took a bit of doing for me to get all the right pieces installed.

2022-02-03_14-52-10.png.e8edd7943162604913d09ab4fac2f886.png

Edited by kzboray

I can confirm that the supplied file is indeed for version 7.17.x and I was successful in updating my own S2 700. When queried now it reports 7.17.x and not 7.15.x as it did before I did the update. I wish I could offer more help, but it's the blind leading the blind at this point.

Did you follow step exactly in article?

@hart2hart I had to guess at a couple of install steps, but they made sense so things went pretty much per the instructions. The main difference was that when doing the "Install by Technology Type" I selected "32-Bit and Wireless MCU's" Not all. This seems to have worked as I was able to do the update and under "Tools" Z-Wave PC Controller" is an option.

Here are the steps I took. These are from memory, so I may have missed a step or two, but this should get you most of the way there.

1.) Register an account with Silicon Labs

2.) Install Simplicity Studio https://www.silabs.com/developers/simplicity-studio

3.) Accept the License and log in using the credentials you created

4.) Click "Install" and Select "Install by Technology Type"

5.) Check "32-Bit and Wireless MCU's" then click "Next" (This will take a few minutes to complete.)

6.) Select "Auto" & Accept the license agreement

7.) Open Simplicity Studio and click on "Tools"

8.) Select "Z-Wave PC Controller" and install the new firmware

• Like 1

@hart2hart I had to guess at a couple of install steps, but they made sense so things went pretty much per the instructions. The main difference was that when doing the "Install by Technology Type" I selected "32-Bit and Wireless MCU's" Not all. This seems to have worked as I was able to do the update and under "Tools" Z-Wave PC Controller" is an option.
Here are the steps I took. These are from memory, so I may have missed a step or two, but this should get you most of the way there.
1.) Register an account with Silicon Labs
2.) Install Simplicity Studio https://www.silabs.com/developers/simplicity-studio
3.) Accept the License and log in using the credentials you created
4.) Click "Install" and Select "Install by Technology Type"
5.) Check "32-Bit and Wireless MCU's" then click "Next" (This will take a few minutes to complete.)
6.) Select "Auto" & Accept the license agreement
7.) Open Simplicity Studio and click on "Tools"
8.) Select "Z-Wave PC Controller" and install the new firmware

I couldn’t think what MCU stood for but thought it was most logical choice and I was too lazy to look it up. Lol, so installed all. Of course knowing I could uninstall and be more diligent next time.

It worked perfect on FW upgrade and took less than minute.

@mmb Here is the response from ZOOZ:

Hi Noel,

Thank you for sharing the screenshot.

We haven't seen that error before, but after doing some research, other users have suggested it means that the Z-Wave device being updated does not contain signing and encryption keys - however, our technicians were able to update the firmware just fine, and to the best of my knowledge, did not need to perform any additional steps with 'signing and encryption keys'. So we're not sure what would be needed to resolve the issue here.

We would recommend reaching out to Silicon Labs support for additional input since they've provided the firmware and maintain the PC Controller software. They may be better able to assist here.

Looking forward to hearing back from you.

Maggie

ZooZ is certainly responsive.  I would say their customer service is almost as good as UDIs! 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mmb said:

Those are the steps I followed, just to be clear on Step 8 you selected OTW and zwave controller then picked up the file?

Also I didn’t do the Network/Add bit.

Yes, I used OTW (Over the Wire, Not OTA Over the Air)

• Like 1

Dumb question, but I remove my current Z-Wave dongle from Polisy (shut down Polisy first) and plug in my PC. Then I run the software and update, then put back in Polisy?

WIll this affect any settings for ISY on Polisy after plugging back in eg. does it reset the Z-wave dongle, or does this even matter?

BTW, after installing simplicity studio, you can isolate the Z-Wave controller portion here... even zip it up and transfer to a new PC.

C:\SiliconLabs\SimplicityStudio\v5\developer\tools\zwave\pc_controller

Current version I show is 5.52.301

I can confirm that firmware 7.17 is definitely needed.

As a funny side note and cautionary tale:

I was using a wifi antenna dock as my USB extender and wasn't seeing anything on DMESG so I tested the stick and extender using Simplicity Studio and discovered that the shells of both the dock and the stick were combining to prevent full insertion/reliable connection (nothing or DMESG spamming as the stick came in/out).

Since you need to upgrade the firmware anyway, I suggest you:

• Insert your stick directly into your PC and update the FW as instructed above. I wouldn't recommend updating firmware using an extender, if yours is iffy because your cat was chewing on it, things might not go so well ?
  • Remove the stick and reinstall it using the extender.
  • Go into settings for Simplicity Studio
  • Hit REFRESH, if the stick doesn't appear, troubleshoot your extender or get one that's RELIABLE
  • Select the stick and press OK
  • At this point we know the extender is working.
  • Go into Network Management and confirm that your FW is at 7.17 (just to be double dog sure)
  • Remove the stick/extender from your PC and install it on the POLISY.
  • Shutdown the POLISY
  • Cold boot the POLISY (this was crucial for me)
  • Open the AC on your POLISY and confirm that the z-wave menu is now populated.

I want to thank the community for all the great content and support, it's much appreciated.

17 hours ago, kzboray said:

@brians When you load up the new firmware it is like doing a factory reset to the Z-Wave dongle. I'm pretty sure you will need to re-add your z-wave devices to your Polisy.

That's pretty ridiculous if that's the case.  Polisy should be blind to it.

I've updated the firmware on my SiLabs 700 stick 6 times and zwavejs/HomeAssistant couldn't care less.