Recommendations for personal weather station

TJF1960

Hi all,

I am looking for recommendations on personal weather stations.  I currently have an accurate five and one which has worked fine  and suited my needs  for the last five or six years.

I seemed to have heard good things about the weather flow tempest personal weather station. Seems reasonably priced.  And Bob as a node server on PG3.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be welcome. 

Thank you,

Tim

32 minutes ago, TJF1960 said:

Hi all,

I am looking for recommendations on personal weather stations.  I currently have an accurate five and one which has worked fine  and suited my needs  for the last five or six years.

I seemed to have heard good things about the weather flow tempest personal weather station. Seems reasonably priced.  And Bob as a node server on PG3.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be welcome. 

Thank you,

Tim

I have used Weatherflow since they started consumer level devices, first with Air/Sky units and now with Tempest devices. I have them at 2 locations.

Are they perfect, no and they have had some hardware failures. However, their support and customer service is on the same level as UD's. They have stood behind every problem I have had.

You should know that Tempest doesn't report snow and if you have limited sunshine, you will require the newly released power booster.

@TJF1960 I've had a Davis Vantage Pro 2 since 2014 and I've had no problems.  I like the rain gauge and anenometer; however, I especially like the console that goes indoors.  You can tell at a glance what is going on rather than having to pull up the app.

@bpwwer has written a couple of nodeservers on PG2 depending on whether one has Weatherlink Live or Weatherlink IP (both communicate to the outside world).  I haven't moved to PG3 yet; so, I don't know whether he's ported both of them over to there or not.

10 hours ago, DennisC said:

Are they perfect, no and they have had some hardware failures. However, their support and customer service is on the same level as UD's. They have stood behind every problem I have had.

Same experience here.  I had a situation where I had to restart my Tempest a couple of times due to sensors going off-line, which was enough for WeatherFlow to send me a new unit -- promptly, and without charge. 

I live in an HOA where they're picky about visuals, and the design of WeatherFlow can pass muster here, while spinning anemometers and wind guages won't. 

There isn't a console that ships with WeatherFlow, but there's an Alexa skill that can audibly report data. 

@bpwwer also wrote a WeatherFlow plugin for my Rainmachine, so it gets hyper-local weather data to adjust irrigation run times.

I got Weatherflow because I need the lightning sensor to alert me when I should avoid going out on the lake. Apart from some battery issues at low temperatures I have been happy with it. I use a verbal report of current conditions as my alarm clock and also have lightning and high wind alerts set up. Alexa will give me current readings any time I ask plus I have some tablets dedicated to displaying weather station data. I also have a Tempest unit but have not installed that yet so I don't know if I can reccommend it without some personal experience with it.

Been thinking about getting a weather station for some time and have pretty well convinced on picking up the Weatherflow  Tempest after following this thread.  Solar power is a great option for me here in Florida.

While looking at the Weatherflow site I noticed there is a map with data from many of these stations.  Wow! I also noticed there are a couple of stations within a 1/4 mile of my place already.  Just curious, is there anyway to import this data into the weatherflow poly rather that buying my own station since they are already publishing it for anyone to use?

Paul

11 minutes ago, palayman said:

Been thinking about getting a weather station for some time and have pretty well convinced on picking up the Weatherflow  Tempest after following this thread.  Solar power is a great option for me here in Florida.

While looking at the Weatherflow site I noticed there is a map with data from many of these stations.  Wow! I also noticed there are a couple of stations within a 1/4 mile of my place already.  Just curious, is there anyway to import this data into the weatherflow poly rather that buying my own station since they are already publishing it for anyone to use?

Paul

I believe you would need permission from the owner, their stations #, and they would need to provide you with an authorization key.

I’ve had an Ambient Weather Station for a couple of years now.  No issues.  It works very well with Home Assistant (giving data directly from the weather station) and Alexa too (giving a verbal report when asked).  There is an Ambient Weather Node server for the ISY994 but I haven’t needed to use that yet.

Adding to the thread.. installed a tempest last summer. love it. Super slim looking vs the old style "wind spinning " sensors. Integration to ISY has been great too. Set up an Alexa routine so that all I say is Alex, Tempest and I get all the info read out to me. 

Isy sends me weather reports every hour via pushover / notification Node server, and if winds meet a certain criteria, I get critical alerts. (I live on a lake and boat / sail so like to keep track) Also drives an awning to shut / open depending on wind strength and direction. Lumination data drives which lights come on via occupancy sensors, and how bright based on ambient light from tempest, etc.

Havent had a single problem with it! 

Next on the list is to use the lightning data to have Alexa or elk node server alert me when closer or moving closer. Alos looking at using the barometric data as predictors for the next 24 hours. Lastly on the list is sprinkler system integration as my elk node server / isy runs my irrigation system. 

Very powerful device with great integration. 

2 hours ago, tazman said:

Thanks for all of the links and information about the different units! I would really like a unit with what I consider a nice display and would like it to connect to ISY I hope someone could tell me if the units I'm looking at would be able to connect to ISY.

Tom

There are pros and cons to both the units you list.  

Acurite doesn't make the data available, at least not easily.  There are various hacks to get at the data.  If one of your main purposes is to use the data in the ISY, you might want to consider something else.  On the other hand, the price is good and the hardware tends to be reliable.

Ambient weather makes solid units as well.  The node server for them is fairly mature.  I belong to the facebook group for them and it seems like about once a week, someone is complaining about server outages.  The data for these is routed through a cloud service before it gets to the node server. I've never owned one so no personal experience.

Like a lot of folks here, I have WeatherFlow stations.  I've been involved in field testing for them and currently use a field test Tempest most often.  The disadvantage of these is the lack of a console.  However, there are projects to make use of an RPi with display or you can use a $49 kindle as a display so it's not expensive to add one, just some effort on your part. The really nice thing about them is that they report all the local sensor data directly on your local network and the node server can take advantage of that.  They have had issues with rain and lightning accuracy.  If those are high on your list of things needed, the Ambient model may be a better choice.

I have the Davis Vantage Pro2 wired weather station which works well and has a nice console.   I have another system for HVAC control so I don't integrate directly with ISY.   I have arranged a raspberry pi  to access the weather station data from the same Meteobridge/weatherbridge linux puck that sends data from the Davis weather station to Weather Underground and other PWS web interfaces.  The PI then sends the data to my HVAC control system -- just like a Node server for ISY.   Like most PWS, I can also follow data from it on Weather Underground via an ipad etc.  As I said I am not familiar with direct Polyglot support but would be surprised if it doesn't exist.  

3 hours ago, stillwater said:

I have the Davis Vantage Pro2 wired weather station which works well and has a nice console.   I have another system for HVAC control so I don't integrate directly with ISY.   I have arranged a raspberry pi  to access the weather station data from the same Meteobridge/weatherbridge linux puck that sends data from the Davis weather station to Weather Underground and other PWS web interfaces.  The PI then sends the data to my HVAC control system -- just like a Node server for ISY.   Like most PWS, I can also follow data from it on Weather Underground via an ipad etc.  As I said I am not familiar with direct Polyglot support but would be surprised if it doesn't exist.  

it does... I have the same system Davis Vantage Pro2 and Meteobridge.... the PG2 node server is Meteobridge-auth and in pg3 just Meteobridge.

7 hours ago, bpwwer said:

There are pros and cons to both the units you list.  

Acurite doesn't make the data available, at least not easily.  There are various hacks to get at the data.  If one of your main purposes is to use the data in the ISY, you might want to consider something else.  On the other hand, the price is good and the hardware tends to be reliable.

Ambient weather makes solid units as well.  The node server for them is fairly mature.  I belong to the facebook group for them and it seems like about once a week, someone is complaining about server outages.  The data for these is routed through a cloud service before it gets to the node server. I've never owned one so no personal experience.

Like a lot of folks here, I have WeatherFlow stations.  I've been involved in field testing for them and currently use a field test Tempest most often.  The disadvantage of these is the lack of a console.  However, there are projects to make use of an RPi with display or you can use a $49 kindle as a display so it's not expensive to add one, just some effort on your part. The really nice thing about them is that they report all the local sensor data directly on your local network and the node server can take advantage of that.  They have had issues with rain and lightning accuracy.  If those are high on your list of things needed, the Ambient model may be a better choice.

Thanks for the rundown Bob. I will look into what options there are before I make my decision.

23 hours ago, tazman said:

I just bought the Weatherflow Tempest.  Love it so far.

People do use kindles or fire tablets as a permanent display.  Can get them for as little as $49.  Check out this thread to see how:

https://community.weatherflow.com/t/use-a-kindle-as-a-weatherflow-display/1223

Paul

7 hours ago, palayman said:

I just bought the Weatherflow Tempest.  Love it so far.

People do use kindles or fire tablets as a permanent display.  Can get them for as little as $49.  Check out this thread to see how:

https://community.weatherflow.com/t/use-a-kindle-as-a-weatherflow-display/1223

Paul

Thank you Paul it looks like it would be possible for me to setup a Kindle as my display. I feel the Tempest is a better unit and using the Kindle it gives me the display I wanted!

• 1 month later...
On 3/13/2022 at 1:54 PM, tazman said:

Thank you Paul it looks like it would be possible for me to setup a Kindle as my display. I feel the Tempest is a better unit and using the Kindle it gives me the display I wanted!

I bought a $40 kindle and installed the android app store.  Works pretty well.  They have even added an "always on" option in the tempest app.  One small problem is that it occasionally stops updating and you need to restart it.

48 minutes ago, palayman said:

I bought a $40 kindle and installed the android app store.  Works pretty well.  They have even added an "always on" option in the tempest app.  One small problem is that it occasionally stops updating and you need to restart it.

Yes I, have had mine going with a Kindle and occasionally have to restart it. I also have readings on my "Magic Mirror" using house panel that I display current temperature humidity and the high and low for the day. I'm very happy with my choice! I appreciate all the recomenations and @bpwwer for helping me get it setup properly!

Archived