Are Insteon devices worth anything now?

TNC

After tinkering with my HUB, I performed the factory reset, several times. Then went to Dr. Google to find that performing the reset makes the system useless. I have a HUB (latest version), several switches/dimmers, toggle and decora, several plug in lamp modules, several remotes, a fan module, an LV controller, two 8 button in wall controllers and two thermostats. I have started to replace the system with another and not going back. Is there any value to my Insteon HW or shall I just show it to the dumpster?

Don't be tossing it yet. Wait until the fat lady sings. Many people will want the devices for years to come as they have PLMs to spare. I have four myself.

UDI is inthe process of attempting to aquire rights to manufacture PLMs as well as possibly more than we know of. Don't give up yet. There is likely a way to fix your hub that will be revealed later by some hacker.

5 hours ago, larryllix said:

Don't be tossing it yet. Wait until the fat lady sings. Many people will want the devices for years to come as they have PLMs to spare. I have four myself.

UDI is inthe process of attempting to aquire rights to manufacture PLMs as well as possibly more than we know of. Don't give up yet. There is likely a way to fix your hub that will be revealed later by some hacker.

Agreed. Sometimes it's just best to sit on your hands.

9 hours ago, TNC said:

After tinkering with my HUB, I performed the factory reset, several times. Then went to Dr. Google to find that performing the reset makes the system useless. I have a HUB (latest version), several switches/dimmers, toggle and decora, several plug in lamp modules, several remotes, a fan module, an LV controller, two 8 button in wall controllers and two thermostats. I have started to replace the system with another and not going back. Is there any value to my Insteon HW or shall I just show it to the dumpster?

Insteon shut off their cloud servers.  Insteon hardware can still be made to work tho, you just need a controller that will access the hub.  Many users have turned to Home Assistant which is a no cost open source project that will run on a variety of hardware.   Best for Home Assistant is a pi4, but a 3 will do, or check out the getting started pages for more hardware options.   There are some other choices like Homeseer and hubbitat, that require so fee's to get started.

My son's house was using an Insteon Hub, he adopted Home Assistant to control his hub, and is very happy with the outcome.

2 hours ago, HomeautoGuy said:

Insteon is dead.  Fire sale your devices. 

The company may have ceased operations, the cloud servers may be gone.  Insteon is far from dead.

3 hours ago, MrBill said:

Best for Home Assistant is a pi4, but a 3 will do, or check out the getting started pages for more hardware options.   There are some other choices like Homeseer and hubbitat, that require so fee's to get started.

Seems as though rpi is in short supply.  I happen to have an unused zero.  Do you think it can handle Home Assistant?  My father in law has just a few insteon devices and was using the now useless hub.  Trying to get him back online.

8 minutes ago, apostolakisl said:

Seems as though rpi is in short supply.  I happen to have an unused zero.  Do you think it can handle Home Assistant?

No... Pi Zero will not work.

If you can't source a rPi 4 then go for a Odroid which is supported by easy installation.  Another alternative (more work to install Home Assistant) would be a Rock64 board.  

When in doubt... read the docs: https://www.home-assistant.io/installation/

40 minutes ago, carealtor said:

I run Home Assistant on a Win10 VirtualBox VM.  Pretty easy-peezy.  No RPI needed.

Yeah, but my FIL doesn't have a 24/7 computer running either.  I suppose I could set it up on a spare PC and let it run on that until such time as rpi comes available.

3 hours ago, apostolakisl said:

Seems as though rpi is in short supply.  I happen to have an unused zero.  Do you think it can handle Home Assistant?  My father in law has just a few insteon devices and was using the now useless hub.  Trying to get him back online.

In the on boarding pages they suggest pi4, but say a Pi3 will work.   I googled yesterday and saw where some people had install instructions for a zero.   I don't know much beyond that.

That said I also didnt't pay attention to how old the zero instructions were, and HA has grown leaps and bounds in the last 18 months

I ran Home Assistant on a Pi 3 in the past, was not happy with it. I now run Home Assistant on the old Qotum fanless PC that I used for CQC before, it is using about 10 watts and is much faster than a Pi.

Archived