Away Program Fails to Reliably Lock Z-Wave Yale Assure Locks

isyrocks!

Hi All,

I have an "Away" program that runs when I set my alarm. The away program turns off lights, thermostats, etc. I also have it set to lock 3 Yale Assure Z-Wave Locks. My issue lies with the ISY 994i reliably locking the 3 doors. More often than not the doors do not get locked. If I manually lock the doors via the ISY or mobile app it works just fine. I think it may be related to a memory issue or that the ISY can't handle the amount of embedded operations that I am requesting it to do with the "Away" program. I tried creating a separate "Lock All Doors" program and putting a 15 sec delay between each Z-Wave Lock Door call but that hasn't seemed to solve it. Any ideas why I might be experiencing issues and how I could troubleshoot? 

image.thumb.png.1c824d8ab07c684418dc72f21d081038.png

ISY 994i v.5.3.3

Z-Wave 500

1 hour ago, isyrocks! said:

Hi All,

I have an "Away" program that runs when I set my alarm. The away program turns off lights, thermostats, etc. I also have it set to lock 3 Yale Assure Z-Wave Locks. My issue lies with the ISY 994i reliably locking the 3 doors. More often than not the doors do not get locked. If I manually lock the doors via the ISY or mobile app it works just fine. I think it may be related to a memory issue or that the ISY can't handle the amount of embedded operations that I am requesting it to do with the "Away" program. I tried creating a separate "Lock All Doors" program and putting a 15 sec delay between each Z-Wave Lock Door call but that hasn't seemed to solve it. Any ideas why I might be experiencing issues and how I could troubleshoot? 

image.thumb.png.1c824d8ab07c684418dc72f21d081038.png

ISY 994i v.5.3.3

Z-Wave 500

Being that you blocked your programs it's hard to tell. Looks like you have a lot going on though. You can try a wait between each line to see if that helps as well as ensure your UI matches your firmware 

Looks like the problem would be with the 'Lock All Doors' (then path) program.... no idea what it does, but I'd make sure it waits in between locks, it may even need a wait at it's start if the queue is already backed up.  Also check the error log for clues.

Edited by MrBill
  • Like 1

@isyrocks! the easier/better way to share programs on the forums is to right click on the program, select the bottom option ("copy to clipboard") then paste the program to your message/post here. This captures all the important parts, and it makes it searchable and editable for anybody helping you.

image.png

Result of paste:

00-Query All - KEEP - [ID 0000][Parent 0001]

If
        Time is  3:00:10AM

Then
        Set 'MyISY' Query

Else
   - No Actions - (To add one, press 'Action')

Also, is there any reason you're on 5.3.3 on the ISY994? The latest version is 5.3.4 and a simple update/upgrade from what you're running. Very small fixes were made, but still, suggested to go ahead and get up to the latest version since you're almost there already...and you said you have z-wave 500 so it's okay to update. I don't think it would help your issue, but wanted to ask and suggest the update. 

Your initial "away" program seemed long. If you had it doing a lot of things without the waits there was risk of missed signals going out. Sometimes it might be better to break processes down into smaller chunk programs and have one program trigger additional programs (with waits between those triggers). And you scrambled a large chunk of what you're trying to turn off. It might be something that you have a program simple as:

If: armed away

then: Run "THEN" of away program 1, wait 10+ seconds, run "THEN" of away program 2, wait 10+ seconds, run "THEN" of away program 3

The "Away Program #" would not have an "IF" value and would be disabled. Thus the only time they would run was when called on by the "armed away" program since they would specifically process the "THEN" of those programs.

• Like 3

@isyrocks! i just noticed that you have 4 programs run from that program in a row.  that's likely the problem, but i can't really tell what the other programs are doing.  But if you start 4 programs in rapid succession then you're likely going to overflow something.  The ISY doesn't wait for the program to finish before it runs the next, it just starts them all up.  Check your error log, I'll be there are errors.

• Like 2
12 minutes ago, MrBill said:

The ISY doesn't wait for the program to finish before it runs the next, it just starts them all up.

@MrBill thanks for that. I was wondering if that was the case. I haven't really spent much time in the error log but will do so for this testing. I am also going to run things with the Event Viewer pulled up. I am guessing you are right and that I am overflowing things. I am calling all sorts of stuff, turning off a multitude of lights on different floors, turning off 3 harmony hubs, setting a bunch of variables, adjusting thermostats, turning off av receivers, adjusting camera motion settings, etc. etc..

@Geddy thanks for the detailed feedback and suggestions. I like the idea of "chunking" things and that makes sense and then adding the waits. Seems more of a micro service architecture approach.

Might be the weekend before I make the time to get this resolved but I am assuming with this great feedback I will get it sorted.

• Like 2