SMTP Settings "Default Settings"

raymondjiii
Go to solution Solved by Geddy,

I admit that I have no idea what the SMTP Settings - "default settings" actually are but...I did have programs that would successfully email me. Now, I get no emails and no text messages (sent to my my-number@txt.att.net). Anyone experience this? I could see the text messages not arriving as that seems to be a hokey thing by ATT where they constantly block incoming messages - but I'm curious from whom these messages come from when "default settings" are used?

Thanks

Ray

Started testing this...

I've been using smtp.gmail.com, not the 'Default'. 

Some of my tests (by clicking the 'Test' button got through just now, but one (third try of four) generated this in my email:

Address not found

Your message wasn't delivered to 508*******@txt.att.net because the address couldn't be found, or is unable to receive mail.

The response from the remote server was:

550 5.2.0 <*********@gmail.com> - Is51orBZZfuqjIs52oNfl3 - Internal error

---------- Forwarded message ----------
To: 508*******@txt.att.net
Cc: 
Bcc: 
Date: Tue, 02 Aug 2022 09:37:02 -0400
Subject: Polisy Notification Test!
Tue, 02 Aug 2022 09:37:01 -0400 Test message from Polisy

>>>>>

-> I redacted the phone number and email address (they were in the email).

• Solution

I would say this is an AT&T issue and not a UDI problem. 

While I don't see a huge uproar about this searching Google for AT&T issues there is this one post that was easy to find:

https://forums.att.com/conversations/att-mail-features/att-email-to-text-feature-is-not-working/62e57d87e232bb632089fdd0

Perhaps search if other AT&T users are having issues. 

• Like 2

Now this is funny...

There's a link in that forum thread @Geddyposted to. (I'll keep an eye on that, by the way - but not holding my breath - it's ATT after all.)

When you click on the link the web page it takes you to doesn't work. ? (And yes, I'm signed in.)

>>>

That link in the thread:

We also recommend that you use our Troubleshooting and Resolve tool. Just click the tool that best describes your issue.

Edited by Athlon

Best Solution is don't use email for notifications. Use Pushover, via pure Network Resources or the Notification Node server.

Second best solution is create an email at your ISP or gmail and configure ISY to send FROM that address.

Also send your emails TO that same address.  Download a separate email client on your phone such as SPARK email and turn on notifications and exempt it from DO Not Disturb, Add the from/to email above to Spark. 

End result... ISY uses the address to send email TO the same email address ISY is sending FROM.  You have a separate mail client on your phone that is allowed to use Push notifications anytime.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
While I don't see a huge uproar about this searching Google for AT&T issues there is this one post that was easy to find:
https://forums.att.com/conversations/att-mail-features/att-email-to-text-feature-is-not-working/62e57d87e232bb632089fdd0
We are having problems with SMS messaging lately and it seems to be getting worse over time.

After deleting messages from my IoP they sometimes pop back up 3,4 days later ad new messages. For years, now I have noticed the same thing happening g with old messages, when they show up gain, along with actual new messages.
I always figured it was my android os but now, not so sure.

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

I've been using text messages for two things - Roomba battery is at 100% and ready to go again, and a garage door has been open for 30 minutes. Both stopped working days ago (ATT).

This morning I set up notifications in HA for both events and after testing it's working great.

I think the difference is it's not really a text, it's a pushed message to whatever mobile device (phone or tablet) has an HA instance on it and properly logged in with notifications on.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Geddy said:

I would say it is too. I would say that ATT is blocking emails from UDI - from what I can deduce.

email is an interesting beast - i recently moved a municipality from an exchange server to microsoft 365 - learned some things but i am in no way an expert

microsoft 365 has some rudimentary filtering but i chose to add barracuda for extra protection - and its good - has fended off attacks successfully - so far

internal email is not parsed - only incoming and outgoing external email

of course it does not deliver viruses - but that is not all that is not delivered

if  a sender's dkim or spf key has a problem, not delivered - this is not uncommon even among technology companies (check your dns entry) - some will overlook those errors (microsoft 365 will), barracuda (by default) does not ignore those errors

'intent' is another reason email is not delivered

this one was interesting - 'reputation' - caused me some grief

if barracuda (not a small player) deems you to have a bad reputation (spammer, for example), your emails are not delivered - you can check if a company is on barracuda's naughty list here

https://www.barracudacentral.org/lookups

interesting to know, if someone is on the naughty list, it will be blocked from delivery if that company is referenced in the email content - if someone forwards an email to me that refers to that company, not delivered - this can even be in a signature block

for example, if barracuda considers instagram to be naughty, an email to me with an icon linking to their instagram account - even in their signature block - no delivery 

it will not pass if i send that email with the signature block, remove the signature, its delivered

as best i can tell, those notifications you get are from the email provider - if barracuda rejects delivery, i am unsure if you get a notification

so email is not absolute - if it sends to one account successfully, that gives you some information but is not proof that it should send to all

computers suck

not back to my first sd-wan conversion - wish me luck

6 hours ago, RPerrault said:

email is an interesting beast - i recently moved a municipality from an exchange server to microsoft 365 - learned some things but i am in no way an expert

microsoft 365 has some rudimentary filtering but i chose to add barracuda for extra protection - and its good - has fended off attacks successfully - so far

internal email is not parsed - only incoming and outgoing external email

of course it does not deliver viruses - but that is not all that is not delivered

if  a sender's dkim or spf key has a problem, not delivered - this is not uncommon even among technology companies (check your dns entry) - some will overlook those errors (microsoft 365 will), barracuda (by default) does not ignore those errors

'intent' is another reason email is not delivered

this one was interesting - 'reputation' - caused me some grief

if barracuda (not a small player) deems you to have a bad reputation (spammer, for example), your emails are not delivered - you can check if a company is on barracuda's naughty list here

https://www.barracudacentral.org/lookups

interesting to know, if someone is on the naughty list, it will be blocked from delivery if that company is referenced in the email content - if someone forwards an email to me that refers to that company, not delivered - this can even be in a signature block

for example, if barracuda considers instagram to be naughty, an email to me with an icon linking to their instagram account - even in their signature block - no delivery 

it will not pass if i send that email with the signature block, remove the signature, its delivered

as best i can tell, those notifications you get are from the email provider - if barracuda rejects delivery, i am unsure if you get a notification

so email is not absolute - if it sends to one account successfully, that gives you some information but is not proof that it should send to all

computers suck

not back to my first sd-wan conversion - wish me luck

All it takes is one person to mark your email as junk for the reputation to start decreasing. I work at a cancer hospital and I was amazed to see the reputation dip from people marking their cancer related appointment reminders as junk.

I know there was some type of Sender Authentication that was put on our account but I forget what that was about. 

On 8/2/2022 at 10:43 AM, Geddy said:

It’s interesting that there is “no huge uproar” about this from ATT. That reminds me of “looking for huge uproar” when Insteon shut down. It took a good week to find anything and it was on crappit…I mean reddit that I first found anything at all.

I think that in the land of text messages, my guess, is that “email to text” is about 0.0001% or less of all text messages. And very few people are going to care or even notice…and very few mobile carriers as well.

I’d bet $ that ATT has invested “0” resources on this issue…they have no support…just a “forum”.

Thanks @Michel Kohanim for the update. Testing the default with T-Mobile email to text worked almost instantly. Hope other carriers continue to support this. 

I know Google Voice stopped forwarding texts (sometime last year) to the actual cell phone because of some abuse issues.

https://www.engadget.com/one-of-google-voices-best-features-is-going-away-092145507.html#:~:text=The Google Voice app now,ring all your other phones.

https://9to5google.com/2021/03/09/google-voice-soon-no-longer-forward-messages-phone/

I always wonder when people start having relay issues from email to text if the carriers themselves start turning it off. I know it's low priority delivery as it is (for most carriers) so what's keeping them from turning it off completely? 

Text comes in from the alerts@universal email so that's great! 

I'll second that. I hit the Test button on the "Settings/Groups" tab and got an immediate text message from the email to text thru AT&T. I have the "Default Settings" checked.

Thank you.

Text comes from 1410100173 - not sure how you were able to see that it originated from alerts@universal email though. Maybe you are managing your own smtp server.

5 minutes ago, raymondjiii said:

Text comes from 1410100173 - not sure how you were able to see that it originated from alerts@universal email though. Maybe you are managing your own smtp server.

you're using 10digitnumber@txt.att.net change that to 10digitnumber@mms.att.net and it will come thru with the From email address.   Another benefit is that txt.att.net will break up long messages longer than 160 character into multiple messages, wheres mms.att.net accepts long messages without truncating them into smaller messages.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, raymondjiii said:

But iPhones etc will automatically put SMS segments back together automatically - and make it look like one text message. But granted the number of messages on the wire would still be more than 1.

But they won't from AT&T when sent thru the email gateway because segment 1 will be from 1410100173 and segment 2 might be from 1410100179, etc.

Just use @mms.att.net.... you'll be happier.

19 minutes ago, MrBill said:

But they won't from AT&T when sent thru the email gateway because segment 1 will be from 1410100173 and segment 2 might be from 1410100179, etc.

Just use @mms.att.net.... you'll be happier.

I just tried it...Now, what's interesting is that the text message (at least on iphone or MacOS) will show the icons for the other Email addresses on the list - that's probably a good thing. But I do not see see the text message originating from alerts@universal. Instead I see the MMS coming from <VERY long guid>@mail.universal-devices.com. Not a big deal but if I could somehow receive them from alerts@universal I'd gladly take that option.

Edited by raymondjiii
  • Like 1
32 minutes ago, raymondjiii said:

Text comes from 1410100173

Make sure you delete any old messages that came through with numbers. The phone (or as @MrBill says AT&T) might be picking something up and applying that number to it.

I'm on iOS and T-Mobile and it came through with alerts@ email for the from. 

Have you tried the @mms.att.net as @MrBill suggested?

Just now, Geddy said:

Make sure you delete any old messages that came through with numbers. The phone (or as @MrBill says AT&T) might be picking something up and applying that number to it.

I'm on iOS and T-Mobile and it came through with alerts@ email for the from. 

Have you tried the @mms.att.net as @MrBill suggested?

Yes. That's what I was trying to say - I just made that change that MrBill wrote up, then hit "Test" and then I got what I got. I had no old messages from AT&T still on the device.