eisy | home packaging ...

21 hours ago, lilyoyo1 said:

I don't understand it either. Most companies do not post their plans or strategy. Most things are assumed (such as with phones and TV's). Other "leaks" comes from reporters following FCC filings and insider leaks.... unfortunately UDI isn't big enough for that. 

UDI chooses to engage with their community on their forum which is where they drop their plans and upcoming devices. Those who choose not to frequent the forums will miss things while those who do; get the benefit of those sneak peaks. 

Things become all over the place because other people will create new posts all over the place with questions about what they've heard/read at which point UDI responds. 

News and announcements" are generally reserved for things one they become official. 

@lilyojo1 and @asbril, I'll describe a very specific scenario that occurred to me. After receiving an email from UD about the ZMatter board for polisy, I ordered two of them. After having done that, I stumbled across the fact that polisy was being abandoned (due to supply chain issues) and replaced by eisy. At that point I had no idea if, or how long, polisy was going to be supported. I did not know if the ZMatter boards I had just ordered would be usable in eisy. So I had to start digging around in the forums to get those answers. 

In this specific case, since UD reached out to me with an email advertising the ZMatter boards, that email should have also explained the planned support window for Polisy(supported until at least 2026), and should have explained the migration plan (eisy is the replacement for polisy, ZMatter board will be usable for eisy via USB enclosure, etc. ).

I don't expect UD to sacrifice competitive advantage by revealing proprietary information, nor do I expect them to provide an unreasonably frequent update of their product plans. 

Once contacted, Michel is always forthcoming and helpful in every way, including with information. My criticism is meant to be constructive, and I remain very supportive of UD. 

• Like 2
29 minutes ago, wmcneil said:

@lilyojo1 and @asbril, I'll describe a very specific scenario that occurred to me. After receiving an email from UD about the ZMatter board for polisy, I ordered two of them. After having done that, I stumbled across the fact that polisy was being abandoned (due to supply chain issues) and replaced by eisy. At that point I had no idea if, or how long, polisy was going to be supported. I did not know if the ZMatter boards I had just ordered would be usable in eisy. So I had to start digging around in the forums to get those answers. 

In this specific case, since UD reached out to me with an email advertising the ZMatter boards, that email should have also explained the planned support window for Polisy(supported until at least 2026), and should have explained the migration plan (eisy is the replacement for polisy, ZMatter board will be usable for eisy via USB enclosure, etc. ).

I don't expect UD to sacrifice competitive advantage by revealing proprietary information, nor do I expect them to provide an unreasonably frequent update of their product plans. 

Once contacted, Michel is always forthcoming and helpful in every way, including with information. My criticism is meant to be constructive, and I remain very supportive of UD. 

I start to understand that many only use this forum when they have a problem or question, and that is fine.

However, this topic has been widely covered in this forum. The ZMatter board can be added to the Polisy and when you get your eisy you can transfer the board to the eisy in a USB enclosure (*).

Personally I have ordered the ZMatter board but I have not yet decided whether to add it to my Polisy or to wait for eisy as I am not a big fan of opening the Polisy and touch the inside. If I understand the time line, I should be getting the ZMatter board in the next 2 weeks and the eisy before the end of the year. That is (for me) a short time lag and I may just decide to wait for the eisy.

(*) I don't know whether that enclosure ships straight away with the board or whether we need to get it separately.

Edited by asbril
54 minutes ago, wmcneil said:

I still don't see what the problem is. What does the board have to do with the eisy coming out? Would you not have ordered the board if you knew that? I assume you already have 2 polisy's which is why you ordered 2 boards so it would still work with them (the eisy as well) so there's nothing lost. 

Yes you found out about the eisy from reading the forums but had you not done so, nothing about your situation would've changed. 

Time and time again, these forums have shown that more information isn't always best. If someone chooses not to be engaged with their system, more information would probably cause greater issues than it solves for the few who may peruse the forum every so often and catch a sneak peek at future plans.

Can you imagine if the email you received said: 

"Here's our new zwave/matter board." Works with polisy and our next gen system that will go on presale in November for a release sometime in 2023. We'll still be supporting your polisy so you don't have to upgrade to that unless you want to".

How many emails and phone calls do you think they would've received from casual users vs. the couple of complaints on the forum about lack of information? There's a reason why companies don't talk about unreleased products. It's more of a distraction than anything else 

Edited by lilyoyo1
46 minutes ago, asbril said:

I start to understand that many only use this forum when they have a problem or question, and that is fine.

However, this topic has been widely covered in this forum. The ZMatter board can be added to the Polisy and when you get your eisy you can transfer the board to the eisy in a USB enclosure (*).

Personally I have ordered the ZMatter board but I have not yet decided whether to add it to my Polisy or to wait for eisy as I am not a big fan of opening the Polisy and touch the inside. If I understand the time line, I should be getting the ZMatter board in the next 2 weeks and the eisy before the end of the year. That is (for me) a short time lag and I may just decide to wait for the eisy.

(*) I don't know whether that enclosure ships straight away with the board or whether we need to get it separately.

"the eisy before the end of the year."

I just looked in the UD Store. Don't see the eisy available for order... Am i missing something?

I did the preorder the Z-Wave dongle when I got the email for it.

Cheers.

9 minutes ago, TriLife said:

I just looked in the UD Store. Don't see the eisy available for order... Am i missing something?

Cheers.

Not orderable just yet... here are two related posts from the previous page of this thread:

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, TriLife said:

Cheers.

You are not missing anything.  Based on what I have read on the forum, I expect that ordering of the eisy will be possible pretty soon, but keep an eye on this forum.

I don't think @wmcneil 's expectations are misplaced. Both eisy and ZMatter are relatively large investments in time and money. So, having more information about how all this fits together is really important. Regardless, I should have provided more information.

Attached is a look at the final prototype for the USB enclosure for ZMatter. As you can see, ZMatter plugs right in in the same was as it does into Polisy. So, you can take your time deciding whether or not you want to migrate to eisy. You are covered either way and you won't lose your investment in ZMatter if you migrate to eisy.

With kind regards,
Michel

IMG_20221117_085038864.jpg

IMG_20221117_085219934.jpg

IMG_20221117_085908183.jpg

• Like 6
2 minutes ago, Michel Kohanim said:

I don't think @wmcneil 's expectations are misplaced. Both eisy and ZMatter are relatively large investments in time and money. So, having more information about how all this fits together is really important. Regardless, I should have provided more information.

Attached is a look at the final prototype for the USB enclosure for ZMatter. As you can see, ZMatter plugs right in in the same was as it does into Polisy. So, you can take your time deciding whether or not you want to migrate to eisy. You are covered either way and you won't lose your investment in ZMatter if you migrate to eisy.

With kind regards,
Michel

IMG_20221117_085038864.jpg

IMG_20221117_085908183.jpg

Go ahead and put my name on one

• Like 2
46 minutes ago, Michel Kohanim said:

With kind regards,
Michel

VERY exciting!

Couple questions - 1. the middle pic shows the installed enclosure covering the port next to it - is this just for demonstration purposes (ie is there a port it can plug into that doesn't block anything?), or will it block a port? Would it work with a typical "usb extension cable" if necessary?

2. Will the ZMatter board on the Polisy give us instant ability to directly control existing Zigbee devices? Or is it purely for the new/soon Matter communication only?

3. Will the enclosure come with the ZMatter board? or with eisy? Or totally separate purch?

Thanks Michel !! Keep up the great work!

2 hours ago, asbril said:

Wow, I can have my dog's name engraved ?  🤣🤣🤣

I changed my mind and will have my wife's name engraved :-) . She always blames my hobby / obsession of home automation when one or another light does not work (once every blue moon....). If her name is on the board, I can blame her.😜

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
2 hours ago, ShawnW said:

Couple questions - 1. the middle pic shows the installed enclosure covering the port next to it - is this just for demonstration purposes (ie is there a port it can plug into that doesn't block anything?), or will it block a port? Would it work with a typical "usb extension cable" if necessary?

Excellent questions: demonstration purposes only because the 3 ports on the side are a little closer together. This said, you can easily plug it into the USB port on the back which covers half of the headphone jack. Yes, it's regular USB so you can use USB extension cables.

2. Will the ZMatter board on the Polisy give us instant ability to directly control existing Zigbee devices? Or is it purely for the new/soon Matter communication only?

By early 1Q 2023, you should be able to control many Zigbee devices + possibly dual mode Zigbee/Matter.

3. Will the enclosure come with the ZMatter board? or with eisy? Or totally separate purch?

Enclosure is separate (about $18). But we'll have the same cost for ZMatter mPCIe and ZMatter USB. It does not make sense to penalize those who want USB.

With kind regards,
Michel

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Michel Kohanim said:

Excellent questions: demonstration purposes only because the 3 ports on the side are a little closer together. This said, you can easily plug it into the USB port on the back which covers half of the headphone jack. Yes, it's regular USB so you can use USB extension cables.

By early 1Q 2023, you should be able to control many Zigbee devices + possibly dual mode Zigbee/Matter.

Enclosure is separate (about $18). But we'll have the same cost for ZMatter mPCIe and ZMatter USB. It does not make sense to penalize those who want USB.

With kind regards,
Michel

Can I change my order so it will be a ZMatter USB or is that too late ?

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Michel Kohanim said:

The USB version will be the same price as the non-USB version. But, if you want the enclosure separately, it will be $18.00.

@asbril,

Yes, you can cancel the order and wait for the availability of the USB version.

With kind regards,
Michel

Thanks Michel. As there seems to be a time lag in the availability of the USB version I will not cancel and then later on buy the enclosure. Thanks

• Like 2

Okay .. Don't wanna lose my spot in the DIBS line, so I'll put my $0.02 in and say I want one, too. (eisy, that is and the ZMatter-USB board since I'll want that too). Not sure if this gets me anywhere, or even a free cup of coffee at Denny's but thought I'd chime in too.

• Like 1

@Michel Kohanim thanks for posting a quick summary of the current priorities. For the record I never complained about lack of information but it is helpful to have a peek at the big picture, and I think we all recognize that priorities can change and evolve as can timelines.

One thing regarding the focus on having the future configuration interface being via the App, my only concern with that is whether there will continue to be a desktop web interface option, as having to type everything out via an app on my ipad can be a bit of a pain at times. I know, it seems like one can't win for trying since I get that the current desktop interface relies on Java and that has its own challenges etc. But thanks for listening.

New eisy loos nice (although I loved the blue Polisy colour too) and will probably migrate to that sometime next year (that FOMO thing I previously mentioned). Personally I would probably go with a short USB extension to plug in the ZMatter/ Zwave card/box so I can mount it separately and less risk of being bumped and wrecking a the port.

Erik

So, I spent $500 (Canada) for a Polisy (actually two of them) just a month before the eisy was announced, so I won't be replacing it any time soon.

I am not interested at all in Matter, but am very interested in a full Z-Wave interface, which includes easy firmware updating of units and other typical features, together with easy migration from the current 700 USB stick, and so on.

Is that still going to happen, and be available for Polisy users? Will that entail inserting a board inside the Polisy box, or will it now be an external USB connection. I seem to remember (a thousand messages ago) that it was hinted both would be available for the Polisy.

I do hope that the Cdn distributor will actually stock the new Z-Wave board upgrades separately, and not just the new eisy box.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch
  • Like 1
7 hours ago, oskrypuch said:

So, I spent $500 (Canada) for a Polisy (actually two of them) just a month before the eisy was announced, so I won't be replacing it any time soon.

I am not interested at all in Matter, but am very interested in a full Z-Wave interface, which includes easy firmware updating of units and other typical features, together with easy migration from the current 700 USB stick, and so on.

Is that still going to happen, and be available for Polisy users? Will that entail inserting a board inside the Polisy box, or will it now be an external USB connection. I seem to remember (a thousand messages ago) that it was hinted both would be available for the Polisy.

I do hope that the Cdn distributor will actually stock the new Z-Wave board upgrades separately, and not just the new eisy box.

* Orest

https://www.universal-devices.com/product/zmatter-z-wave-matter-module-for-polisy-beta/

The posts above are about the enclosure for the board to use it as usb

Edited by lilyoyo1

No complaints, just want to understand if someone can explain:

• Upgraded from isy994 to the Polisy earlier this year with Insteon gone to use Zwave
  • I got the Zwave USB dongle, as seems to be working well

Questions:

• The Polisyt Pro version is just to add wifi to the router.  I have ethernet locally so no need to go Pro, correct?
  • The ZMatter board is just a super upgraded USB dongle (long range and some other features for easily adding new Zwave devices), correct?
  • I do not have to upgrade to the ZMatter, it would just be if I am having Zwave connection problems, correct?  or are there other major features or necessity to upgrade?
  • The eisy is just the next version of the Policy box, correct?  Is the Zmatter board or function included?  any reason or necessity to upgrade to the eisy?
  • My current Policy and Zwave USB dongles will not make me obsolete soon?

Thanks to all

Joe