Best ISY compatible LED light strips?

Blackbird

I use supernight RGBW strips but almost any brand will do.

https://www.amazon.ca/s?k=supernight+RGBW+LED+strips&crid=21DO2VWRGULQF&sprefix=supernight+rgbw+led+strips%2Caps%2C87&ref=nb_sb_noss

The most important part is the controller box that determines the interface to your ISY. I use the MagicHome protocol and there are a few ways to support the WiFi protocol from ISY. I have written my own software that runs on a RPi, or inside my polisy and uses NRs to command it. There is also a NS in development. I am not sure how far it got.

Other brand names the MagicHome protocol goes by are LEDenet, FluxNet, and MagicLight, Magichome. Many cheap RGBW or RGBCW bulbs can be found that use the same protocol. There are many free apps that can operate these bulbs/strip in the google Playstore. I have some 9W RGBCW bulbs that are also BT compatible and come with a small remote.

RGBCW bulbs can do WW and CW from 2200K to 7000K, plus colours. RGBW strips usually only have the 4 LED colours so IMHO the 3000k-3600K white LED is about the best for all around lighting.

As far as native Insteon controllers, there are none.

Strips typically come in 5m = 16.3' lengths and spec a 12v 5 ampere power supply. I have run mine on a 3 ampere wallwart style, no problem and even a 1 or 2 ampere supply would likely do it by my measurements I published here years ago.

Look for older posts where you may find long threads about the hardware with photos.

post-4697-0-65271700-1494172754_thumb.jpg

post-4697-0-48217700-1494172757_thumb.jpg

1315951212_RGBCWBR30bulbsmaller.thumb.jpg.53293251791a1162cc8b9f5602c59f41.jpg

The strips + controller + power supply should cost no more than about $40 total.

However the mounting may cost more. This is one example of a mounting hardware.
https://www.amazon.ca/VIPMOON-Mounting-Brackets-Non-Waterproof-Included/dp/B072N2C1YL/ref=sr_1_7?crid=3HO86CKQW25AU&keywords=LED+strip+mounting&qid=1659696337&sprefix=led+strip+mounting%2Caps%2C122&sr=8-7

If you use the sticky backed strips, after the first usage they heat up and will fall off when the adhesive gets warm. For kitchen usage I recommend you do not get the bare strips. Get the silicone tube encased units (IP67). You will appreciate it when you try to wipe off kitchen grease and films later.

Edited by larryllix
On 8/5/2022 at 4:37 AM, larryllix said:

I use supernight RGBW strips but almost any brand will do.

https://www.amazon.ca/s?k=supernight+RGBW+LED+strips&crid=21DO2VWRGULQF&sprefix=supernight+rgbw+led+strips%2Caps%2C87&ref=nb_sb_noss

The most important part is the controller box that determines the interface to your ISY. I use the MagicHome protocol and there are a few ways to support the WiFi protocol from ISY. I have written my own software that runs on a RPi, or inside my polisy and uses NRs to command it. There is also a NS in development. I am not sure how far it got.

Other brand names the MagicHome protocol goes by are LEDenet, FluxNet, and MagicLight, Magichome. Many cheap RGBW or RGBCW bulbs can be found that use the same protocol. There are many free apps that can operate these bulbs/strip in the google Playstore. I have some 9W RGBCW bulbs that are also BT compatible and come with a small remote.

RGBCW bulbs can do WW and CW from 2200K to 7000K, plus colours. RGBW strips usually only have the 4 LED colours so IMHO the 3000k-3600K white LED is about the best for all around lighting.

As far as native Insteon controllers, there are none.

Strips typically come in 5m = 16.3' lengths and spec a 12v 5 ampere power supply. I have run mine on a 3 ampere wallwart style, no problem and even a 1 or 2 ampere supply would likely do it by my measurements I published here years ago.

Look for older posts where you may find long threads about the hardware with photos.

post-4697-0-65271700-1494172754_thumb.jpg

post-4697-0-48217700-1494172757_thumb.jpg

1315951212_RGBCWBR30bulbsmaller.thumb.jpg.53293251791a1162cc8b9f5602c59f41.jpg

The strips + controller + power supply should cost no more than about $40 total.

However the mounting may cost more. This is one example of a mounting hardware.
https://www.amazon.ca/VIPMOON-Mounting-Brackets-Non-Waterproof-Included/dp/B072N2C1YL/ref=sr_1_7?crid=3HO86CKQW25AU&keywords=LED+strip+mounting&qid=1659696337&sprefix=led+strip+mounting%2Caps%2C122&sr=8-7

If you use the sticky backed strips, after the first usage they heat up and will fall off when the adhesive gets warm. For kitchen usage I recommend you do not get the bare strips. Get the silicone tube encased units (IP67). You will appreciate it when you try to wipe off kitchen grease and films later.

What model of control box do you suggest?  You said Magic home but is there a specific unit?  And will that work with any strip light or just the one you and Athlon mentioned?  Thanks

What model of control box do you suggest?  You said Magic home but is there a specific unit?  And will that work with any strip light or just the one you and Athlon mentioned?  Thanks
I use the control box shown in the photos I posted above. It was the cheapest one I found years ago, at about $6 each. My suggestion is to look for ones with a builtin barrel socket for the 12v ps. That will save you wiring the 12v ps, at least.

Some come with led strip connectors built in. I had to wire my own and found some brands of strips needed the rbg wires scrambled. They are not all the same. Not a big deal to swap 2 or 3 wires though.

Metal tracks to hold the strips are nice. I never used any, just silicone two screw clamps every 6 to 10 inches.

I just wired up another strip in my apparent widow, about 70 inches long. I am running it off a 12v 1.0 ampere adapter just fine.

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

27 minutes ago, Blackbird said:

Thanks

How many do you need? I have an extra 20 units I used for a radial wheel style ceiling animations suing 10 strips per tent pole and two tent poles for my son's wedding in our side yard. Some controllers are still in new boxes.

I only see myself using about 8-10 units maximum and the rest sit in a box now.

PM me if you are interested. You would have to wire the connectors to the terminals for the LED strips and also PS connector. These are a little more clumsy than some of the newer MagicHome units but are 5 channels controllers. I have only ever used them for 4 channels, being R,G,B, and WW in the strips. I have connectors, LED strips, controllers and power supplies, along with 18 x 7W  RGBWW bulbs that don't support native CW. I found newer units that are 9W and some 11W with RGB WW/CW now.

In case it wasn't mentioned, the 5m strips commonly available, have a connector on each end and can be cut every 3-4" for two connectable ends on shorter lengths.

On 8/6/2022 at 10:18 PM, larryllix said:

How many do you need? I have an extra 20 units I used for a radial wheel style ceiling animations suing 10 strips per tent pole and two tent poles for my son's wedding in our side yard. Some controllers are still in new boxes.

I only see myself using about 8-10 units maximum and the rest sit in a box now.

PM me if you are interested. You would have to wire the connectors to the terminals for the LED strips and also PS connector. These are a little more clumsy than some of the newer MagicHome units but are 5 channels controllers. I have only ever used them for 4 channels, being R,G,B, and WW in the strips. I have connectors, LED strips, controllers and power supplies, along with 18 x 7W  RGBWW bulbs that don't support native CW. I found newer units that are 9W and some 11W with RGB WW/CW now.

In case it wasn't mentioned, the 5m strips commonly available, have a connector on each end and can be cut every 3-4" for two connectable ends on shorter lengths.

Not sure yet.  Still looking at all the different brands.  Lots to choose from.

• Like 1

I actually HAD a real bug in my monitor. And, it had to be my big 34" curved 21:9 unit! It was crawling around between the plates. Disgusting.

I just turned off the power, and turned off the lights in the room, and left the lights on in an adjacent room.

The next day, it was gone! Thank goodness.

Never seen that one before, but googling around, seems it isn't too uncommon.

* Orest

• 1 month later...

I notice they purposely try to avoid showing or mentioning the controller box and power supply for these LED strips. How large are they and do they require any custom wiring? I assume they are all just plug-in to each other.

Can you post pictures of the controller and PSU along with wiring?

1 hour ago, larryllix said:

I notice they purposely try to avoid showing or mentioning the controller box and power supply for these LED strips. How large are they and do they require any custom wiring? I assume they are all just plug-in to each other.

Crazy busy day for me - will post pics sometime today for you (small wall wort and push button switch - we leave the switch on 24/7 obviously).

Edited by Athlon
4 hours ago, larryllix said:

I have a long one on one side of the kitchen, and a short one on the other side (they can be trimmed.)

I have outlets in my cabinets, so all I had to do was run the supplied wire from the wall wart to the start of the strips (drilled a hole for that).

Here's a photo of the wall wart and manual switch (which we never use).

PXL_20221012_162953771.thumb.jpg.e2c32b3ef9eaeced3d2d2a84c174eb86.jpg

Edited by Athlon