ZMatter board for Polisy available for preorder

brians

I just pre-ordered the ZMatter board however there was no shipping option to Canada so I had to ship to my USA address reshipper. If this is a glitch I can probably get them to adjust later, but I just wanted to make sure I got one if there is limited supply.

https://www.universal-devices.com/product/zmatter-z-wave-matter-module-for-polisy-beta/

Edit... got a reply from UD and apparently they stopped shipping to Canada.

Edited by brians
3 hours ago, brians said:

Edit... got a reply from UD and apparently they stopped shipping to Canada.

Oh dear!!

So we may be out of luck for any of the upgrade options. Guess, will have to wait until/if the Cdn distributors pick it up.

Of course UD shipping to Canada was almost prohibitively expensive before anyway, compared to other suppliers. Not sure why.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch

I am holding off for the time being and right now my plan is to wait for eisy and the USB dongle.

I have a pretty strong Zwave mesh network, so my needs are not super urgent. Nor do I have Zigbee devices and Matter devices (to the best of my knowledge) are not available. Hopefully eisy and the USB dongle arrive towards November.

2 hours ago, peterathans said:

Will this board be available as a USB option instead?

Yes. You can also get one of these: https://smile.amazon.com/Mini-PCI-Adapter-Module-Industrial-Grade/dp/B07HNTB4XG/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?crid=T3QPIQC0WN85&keywords=mpcie+to+usb&qid=1663362337&sprefix=mpcie+to+usb%2Caps%2C120&sr=8-2-spons&psc=1

2 hours ago, smileyw said:

I ordered one, but will the "beta" part be software or hardware? 

Beta because we are going through Z-Wave certification. Everything is field upgradeable (including end devices).

With kind regards,
Michel

On 9/16/2022 at 5:07 PM, Michel Kohanim said:

Yes. You can also get one of these: https://smile.amazon.com/Mini-PCI-Adapter-Module-Industrial-Grade/dp/B07HNTB4XG/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?crid=T3QPIQC0WN85&keywords=mpcie+to+usb&qid=1663362337&sprefix=mpcie+to+usb%2Caps%2C120&sr=8-2-spons&psc=1

Beta because we are going through Z-Wave certification. Everything is field upgradeable (including end devices).

With kind regards,
Michel

Will the USB version be in any way speed bumped (USB vs PCI-e), IOW should you go with the internal board in preference?

Also, will that board be ONLY available through UD directly (in which case I am out of luck), or will it be offered to distributors as well? (kind of critical for me)

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch
3 hours ago, gages97 said:

Any detail on the "Improved Scene Support", on the 994 w/ Zwave Module, scenes are not a thing, see discussion here:

Also, will the new board provide the ability to push new firmware to Zwave devices?

Uses zwave associations to set scenes. Google zwave groups/associations for more info.

Yes,  the new board is capable of ota updates

Hi all.  Couple quick questions...

I have a polisy and have migrated my ISY over.  Currently  I only use insteon devices and have held off investing in zwave etc as Matter appears to be the future.  So, this upgrade looked exciting but what are the differences between the forthcoming eisy v. a polisy with this new upgrade installed?  Are there good reasons to consider consider just upgrading to eisy when available (price difference notwithstanding).  Also, is true there are no actual matter devices on the market yet?

43 minutes ago, bcdavis75 said:

I have a polisy and have migrated my ISY over.  Currently  I only use insteon devices and have held off investing in zwave etc as Matter appears to be the future.  So, this upgrade looked exciting but what are the differences between the forthcoming eisy v. a polisy with this new upgrade installed?  Are there good reasons to consider consider just upgrading to eisy when available (price difference notwithstanding).  Also, is true there are no actual matter devices on the market yet?

@Michel Kohanimhas given us most of this info if you go back in his posts.  eisy is a more powerful version of Polisy with some other updates, the ZMatter board will work in both Polisy and eisy with an adapter that will be available with the eisy, and you'll be able to transplant the board between the two when you choose to upgrade.

My personal take on this is that I'll upgrade my Polisy for now, and upgrade to eisy when convenient to me.

As for the lack of Matter devices, currently that is correct, but not for long.  There are a number of manufacturers that have release devices that will work with Matter via a firmware update (including the entire Ikea TRADFRI lineup) but November seems to be the launch date for everybody.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, bcdavis75 said:

As already stated, all of these questions are easily found by reading the latest posts from Michel in addition to the other posts throughout the forums in addition to a quick internet search on Matter so I'm going to skip over them. Someone else can rehash if they choose to.

Matter isn't necessarily the future. All systems will still have their pros and cons. Using polisy or eisy, will provide you with the options of using everything. 

To me, if you currently have polisy; the only reason to choose eisy is because you prefer that over your polisy and costs are irrelevant. Not many (if any) are close to maxing out what their polisy is capable of so having eisy is more of a want than a need.

I'm holding out for eisy because I prefer that. Not because I need it but because I want it. I may get the dongle for my test polisy at some point but it's not that big of a deal since matter isn't it to test stuff with yet. I do not need the zwave benefits at this time.

For those who do not have polisy- the eisy, would make more sense- especially since it'll be hard to get polisy. 

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, lilyoyo1 said:

I'm holding out for eisy because I prefer that. Not because I need it but because I want it. I may get the dongle for my test polisy at some point but it's not that big of a deal since matter isn't it to test stuff with yet.

I am with you. I realize that eisy may add expense to my setup, but my current setup works well, so I can wait with the new features till eisy, as I would get eisy one day or another anyway.

What I stll would like to know is how to migrate from Polisy to eisy and/or to the new board (if I change my mind and go for the new USB dongle, when it comes ut). Is is as simple as restoring a backup or is there an actual tool ?

• Like 2