Nest Thermostat and ISY

cksedg

I am trying to integrate my Nest (now Trane) thermostats into my ISY9941.  I have read numerous postings about it, almost all of which say to use Polygot, but I just can't get it into my head.  Does anyone have a concise list of instructions on exactly what to do?  I would really like to use the ISY to control the thermostats while it is controlling other devices in my home.

I thank you in advance!

2 hours ago, larryllix said:

I had thought Google had disconnected their Nest stats from the public and the answer was ..

...get an ecobee smarter unit.

I'd suggest that a Node server developer gives it another shot as the Nest integration works on Home Assistant.

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, larryllix said:

I had thought that Nest products were locked to selected Google friends and were not accessible by other products now.

I have no idea, but my Nest Thermostats can be viewed and controlled on HA.

Home Assistant is an excellent complement for ISY, while ISY is a better core.

Edited by asbril
  • Like 2
3 hours ago, asbril said:

I'd suggest that a Node server developer gives it another shot as the Nest integration works on Home Assistant.

That's the beauty of not being a commercial product. Once you get commercial, you will need to apply for a commercial license for integration/certification which costs about $50K AND they do not allow energy management companies integrate. In the non-commercial scenario, each customer will have to sign up as a developer and use the developer credential for integration.

The same with HomeBridge/HA and Siri integration. As well as Ring and Z-Wave. 

I have pondered the concept of becoming fully open source and developer centric. It removes many many burdens. 

With kind regards,
Michel

• Like 5
20 hours ago, Michel Kohanim said:

I have pondered the concept of becoming fully open source and developer centric. It removes many many burdens. 

With kind regards,
Michel

Could you set up as a hybrid like some companies do with commercial hardware ; a software open source to develop the software; then back to the commercial side for support contracts. I'm sure you have thought of that, I am curious what you lose as owner in that scenario. It's a bit what you're doing now with pg3 just more of your bits in the OS side, wouldn't require a ton of restructuring. Again not telling just curious your thoughts (I'm one of those strange EE with an MBA types). 

@sjenkins,

Yes, I have. Our business model is a little complex:

1. Automation 
2. Energy Services (utilities)
3. OEM for both

And, unfortunately, all are under the same brand: Universal Devices. The first step would be to separate Automation from Energy. This way, at least, we don't have to deal with Nest and energy management issues (the commercial license still applies). 

So, it's much more administratively taxing to figure out how to do open source. At the same time, there are many developers who do not want to have their node servers open sourced. So, we spent an enormous amount of time redesigning the node servers so that developers can sell binary versions. 

In short, it's just a little complex and we do not have the resources.

With kind regards,
Michel

• Like 2
10 minutes ago, cksedg said:

Sounds like there IS NOT a straightforward way to integrate NEST thermostats.  Still interested, if anyone has a "not straightforward" way to do so--that I can understand!

Thanks, everyone!

Not quite so fast. I am still seeing people discussing Jimbo's NEST node server out there must be something happening there between NEST stats and ISY.