Insteon product availability

MrBill

Yes, all the Brothers support using their clear tape products. And, yes you need unlabelled buttons. Works quite nicely. In this panel, one of the buttons has the default lettering on it, you'll notice it is hard to tell the difference.

If you need to repurpose the button, a minute later you have a new label to put on. Only the Sensor button is "on" here.

* Orest

image.png.05b6a1519c4b1aa4b68902494e92a1c4.png

Edited by oskrypuch
  • Like 1

The 12mm (1/2").

Used 9 point text, bolded.

Of course you need to trim the leading and trailing bits of tape, and some careful aligning to make it perfect. It helps to use one of the removed backing strips, put back on, as a little handle.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch

• 1 month later...
36 minutes ago, Balok said:

Just received notification that the i3 (dial dimmer) is available for sale. It looks nice but without some kind of clear indication that it works with my isy994, I can't see purchasing it.

It doesn't work with the 994. Most likely none of the products will ever work with the 994 since it's discontinued. 

All of the new products will add to the system, they'll just say unsupported device. You can control basic on/off functions but will not receive status of manually controlled. 

Edited by lilyoyo1
  • Like 1

From a recent thread:

So Insteon thinks UD will support the new products, however UD hasn't announced anything.  That's typical for UD because as soon as they say something will come, everyone wants to know when, and UD never gives expectations of "when" either.  So likely someday in the future the new products might get support, but like @lilyoyo1 points out it may never come to ISY994 as that product has begun it's End of Life journey.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, MrBill said:

So Insteon thinks UD will support the new products, however UD hasn't announced anything.

If Insteon provides UD with the appropriate documentation and support, it'll still very likely take a firmware upgrade to get these into IoX.  I suspect UD has their hands full with ZMatter for the time being, but if Insteon cooperates...  

Maybe these will work on some level if the addressing is the same and the basic functionality in the dimmer's firmware is the same.  IoX might just think it's another Insteon dimmer...  Who knows?

29 minutes ago, Bumbershoot said:

If Insteon provides UD with the appropriate documentation and support, it'll still very likely take a firmware upgrade to get these into IoX.  I suspect UD has their hands full with ZMatter for the time being, but if Insteon cooperates...  

Maybe these will work on some level if the addressing is the same and the basic functionality in the dimmer's firmware is the same.  IoX might just think it's another Insteon dimmer...  Who knows?

I don’t think Insteon support (likely Steve Lee himself) would have made that reply to @kclendenif there had been no discussion between Insteon and UD.   Thing is UD is tight lipped on subjects such as that for reasons I already stated.  

3 hours ago, Bumbershoot said:

I explained in my previous post what will happen without the devices being added to polisy/EISY.

18 hours ago, lilyoyo1 said:

I explained in my previous post what will happen without the devices being added to polisy/EISY.

On 12/17/2022 at 1:37 PM, Ross said:

@PatPend Here is some more info on the subject - and cheaper than the etching:  Link to Forum Topic: Printing Insteon Buttons

I did try the following and it worked out well:

Print labels as required on Plain paper using Laser Printer. Cover printed area with Scotch Ultra Clear packaging tape. Burnish printed area well. Trim as requited but leave extra all around. Place paper in water for 15-20 minutes and roll off the paper, let dry.

Remove factory label from button using Mico-mesh abrasives or similar product. Place printed film on button, trim to size.

Looks good now but how well they hold up? All buttons in picture are lasered but B and C they are the tape.

Switch.jpg

On 1/24/2023 at 3:32 PM, lilyoyo1 said:

It doesn't work with the 994. Most likely none of the products will ever work with the 994 since it's discontinued. 

All of the new products will add to the system, they'll just say unsupported device. You can control basic on/off functions but will not receive status of manually controlled. 

Thanks, that's helpful.

Until my 994 goes down or I can't get serial modems any longer, I do not see replacing it. Maybe if Insteon releases enough new devices, or if I decide Insteon isn't reliable and go with a different technology. I am assuming that as a Polisy successor the eisy does what Polisy did, supporting a lot of different technologies and an extensible architecture, but I haven't researched it beyond what someone (you?) said that part sourcing troubles is why Polisy has been superseded.

• 4 months later...
On 1/26/2023 at 5:26 PM, Balok said:

Thanks, that's helpful.

Until my 994 goes down or I can't get serial modems any longer, I do not see replacing it. 

I agree with this. Replacing something that works for $400 (Eisy + Z-wave) is just out of the range that I want to spend right this second. For me it would be getting some new tech to push me over the edge. I do like the look of the i3 dimmers. Do they take up less room in the electrical boxes? 

• Like 1

On 1/25/2023 at 2:48 PM, vandy said:

Print labels as required on Plain paper using Laser Printer. Cover printed area with Scotch Ultra Clear packaging tape. Burnish printed area well. Trim as requited but leave extra all around. Place paper in water for 15-20 minutes and roll off the paper, let dry.

I really want to try 3D printing these buttons. My printer is not dual extrusion which is not hard required, but nearly so. Color matching will be interesting too.

I am going to make some today and see how they look. 

16 hours ago, Rob said:

Was the webinar today? What all was announced?

No it's tomorrow, Friday June 9th at 9AM PDT.   (being very specific because the time attached to it has been confused and misstated by Insteon.)

• Like 1