Switching from Insteon to something else?

eyost

Hi all, 

Given the current situation of Insteon, I am considering switching from Insteon with my ISY. The question is to what would be the best to switch to that would be compatible with the ISY.

Open to suggestions and recommendations.

Thanks,

Ed

Question has been asked to death with no clear answer. I would suggest the following guidelines:

Do not switch to something based on future promises that may be delivered much later than forecast, if ever, or might deliver basic function with a promise of future features that never happen. (Matter, Zigbee 3.0, Z-Wave LR, etc.)

Do not switch to anything that does not, or does not "yet", have an open API for local control: (Lutron RA3, Yolink LoRa, Control4, etc.)

Do not switch to anything that has a cloud dependency (Most Wi-Fi,)

Do not switch to anything that assigns IP addresses to IoT endpoints (Unless you are running a Layer 3 core switch in your house)

Do not switch to anything that has known problems that have persisted a long time with no resolution such as the Z-Wave popcorn effect (If it hasn't been fixed in all these years it likely never will)

And most important do not switch to anything that does not have drop in equivalents for your existing Insteon devices such as hybrid keypad/switches, wire-in fixture modeules, etc.

1 hour ago, upstatemike said:

Question has been asked to death with no clear answer. I would suggest the following guidelines:

Do not switch to something based on future promises that may be delivered much later than forecast, if ever, or might deliver basic function with a promise of future features that never happen. (Matter, Zigbee 3.0, Z-Wave LR, etc.)

Do not switch to anything that does not, or does not "yet", have an open API for local control: (Lutron RA3, Yolink LoRa, Control4, etc.)

Do not switch to anything that assigns IP addresses to IoT endpoints (Unless you are running a Layer 3 core switch in your house)

Do not switch to anything that has known problems that have persisted a long time with no resolution such as the Z-Wave popcorn effect (If it hasn't been fixed in all these years it likely never will)

And most important do not switch to anything that does not have drop in equivalents for your existing Insteon devices such as hybrid keypad/switches, wire-in fixture modeules, etc.

So.... You're saying just have a dumb house? Your fonts covers all protocols past, present, and future

WiFi is likely the most dependable protocol in usage today. It offers so many features and dependability the major motor companies are including it in their designs.

:):)

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, lilyoyo1 said:

So.... You're saying just have a dumb house? Your fonts covers all protocols past, present, and future

Unfortunately that is the situation we find ourselves in. Hopefully something will change for the better but you can't make a safe investment in the future based on anything we know today.

And yes my house is pretty dumb... except for my Stargate which still keeps rocking along.

There is still life in the old Insteon / ISY bird yet. Perhaps not for new builds but there is certainly enough stock flying around both new (Insteon store backup selling a limited range of kit) and used.

I am happy hanging off the cliff edge with my fingernails and have accrued enough kit for most eventualities now....so I should be good for quite a few years with the two properties I have the kit installed. By then I'll be too old and burned out to do any anything anyway.

Edited by mango

So here is another way of looking at it. The other day I was watching a YouTube video of somebody who did an elaborate Halloween light show in their yard that included dozens of drones with coloer changinging LEDs forming giant figures in the sky. The control of all of these drones requires precise communication to move each one where they need to be for each scene as well as have all the lights on them work in perfect unison for color and on/off timing. 

I would like to know what RF protocol is used to accomplish this and why I can't have switches that use that protocol instead of ones that can't even turn on a group of four lights without popcorn effect delays?

6 minutes ago, upstatemike said:

So here is another way of looking at it. The other day I was watching a YouTube video of somebody who did an elaborate Halloween light show in their yard that included dozens of drones with coloer changinging LEDs forming giant figures in the sky. The control of all of these drones requires precise communication to move each one where they need to be for each scene as well as have all the lights on them work in perfect unison for color and on/off timing. 

I would like to know what RF protocol is used to accomplish this and why I can't have switches that use that protocol instead of ones that can't even turn on a group of four lights without popcorn effect delays?

WE have that across the street in the park each year instead of fireworks (yeah, millenial eco smoke nonsense). I never thought to take my RF frequency detector out and see if it detects any signals.

Big difference? Free air and no concrete, drywall or structure in between.

As a guess I would say modified WiFi of some kind, same as all the new home automation protocols.

Edited by larryllix
54 minutes ago, upstatemike said:

They don't use RF at all in regards to the show itself. They use an enhanced gps system. The flight plates are setup and preloaded into the drones using WiFi. 

Even if they did use Rf, the technology would most likely be too expensive for standard consumer devices. 

If anyone is looking for an ironclad longterm solution, forget it. What you invest in today may soon be obsolete. As for me, I will stick with my Insteon system until the final door closes. I also have several backup devices including a couple of PLMs so I should be good to go for a while.