Echo spokens get duplicated and then when deleted, echo thinks they are still there.

someguy
Go to solution Solved by bmercier,

Over the course of a number of years, I had many times that I would find multiple copies of different devices inside of the alexa app.  as an example, Id wind up with two or three different copies of "kitchen lights" and when I'd ask alexa to turn the kitchen lights on, it would say "i found more than one device with the name kitchen lights...".

I would delete all but one of them and this would solve the problem.

recently, I had a problem and ended up having to start over with my Polisy and in the process, my portal got deleted.  i went in to recreate the portal "spokens" list for amazon echo... I took that opportunity to delete all of the spokens from the list inside of the echo app.  now, despite the fact that there are no listed "kitchen lights" devices in my device list, my amazon gives the same "I found more than one device with the name kitchen lights...".   

I called amazon echo and they said i need to have universal devices reset my portal.  I dont think that;ll solve the problem.  I also tried disabling and re-enabling the universal devices "skill" in the the alex app.

does anyone have any suggestion as to how to delete these "invisible" copies of my devices (that I've already deleted but are somehow still there)?

Edited by someguy
  • Like 1
3 hours ago, someguy said:

does anyone have any suggestion as to how to delete these "invisible" copies of my devices (that I've already deleted but are somehow still there)?

In the Alexa app, look upder devices, then at the top right, all devices. Is your phantom device there?

Or, is it possible that you have a group using that name?

@bmercier

YES!!! THAT WORKED!   

what I did was "smarthome" > Devices, scroll to bottom, click "delete all" and then click "restore".  this deletes everything and then restores the things that are real.  

Thank you so much bmercier for taking the time to help me.  so much appreciation, kind sir!

• Like 2

Yeah. I don't know why amazon hides those commands at the bottom of the list where nobody can find them.

I keep the Windows webpage alexa app around just for that mostly. I don't find it on the mobile android app though.

My alexa keeps finding other devices, like my laser printer and trying to flood me with advertising to buy their overpriced ink. Every time I delete the printer from the device list it finds it again and start the advertising cycle again. Not impressed with that one but it makes me replace tone cartridges early, wasting more supplies.