Mail SMTP settings no longer working

khowell
Go to solution Solved by Geddy,

I am running v5.4.4 on my Polisy (5200) and recently found my email notifications not working.

I was using GMAIL with the 2-step key for my IoP.  With that not working, I regenerated the GMAIL key, but no luck.

If I run the [Test] function on setting/Groups, I receive an error:

image.jpeg.4e1d160354996e7d905113565dc6b912.jpeg

I tried using the Default SMTP settings with the same result.

I switched to my other IoP (same settings as my iPhone) and get almost the same result:

image.png.f86a3ba1e058ddda1d5b9e1f73e1dfd5.png

When I check the log file, I see -50001  -1 listed, but there is no explanation in the SMTP Errors section of the Error Message Wiki page.

What can I do to resolve this issue?

• Solution

For Gmail you should setup this way:

image.png

I just set this up on my Polisy and it worked perfectly. 

Take a screen shot of what you have setup and post it (blur/remove any personal identifying information)

The biggest issue is the "From" needs to be in the format (if you use a name) to have the colon (:) between the name and email address. I also use Gmail and 2FA and have ISY app specific password setup and this works. I just changed from the default for Polisy to this and it sent a test message without issue. 

18 minutes ago, khowell said:

I tried using the Default SMTP settings with the same result.

What does this mean? Are you using the ISY "Use Default" settings and you got an error?

Make sure you have entries in the "Groups" to send the test to. If that's blank it might give you errors because there's no outbound recipient. That would give you a different error though so doubt this is the problem. 

• Like 1

I set the timeout value to 10,000 per another post about this problem and now it works.

Go figure.

When I used the default settings 'Use Default' I was receiving the same SMTP error [SMTP ERROR--1] as shown in the first post.

But now the problem is solved.

Thank you

Edited by khowell
8 minutes ago, khowell said:

I set the timeout value to 10,000 per another post about this problem and now it works.

Go figure.

When I used the default settings 'Use Default' I was receiving the same SMTP error [SMTP ERROR--1] as shown in the first post.

Thank you

I beat my head against the wall as well until I out of desperation increased the time out.  The 1000ms timeout worked fine for 994i, but not Polisy.  Obviously there is some issue with Polisy sending and receiving acknowledgement since it is certainly not gmail being slow or my old 994 and another 994 that is still using 1000ms would not all work fine.

In short, UD either needs to fix whatever their internal delay is, or they need to change the default to something longer.  I ended up going with 3000ms which always works for me.

• Like 1
40 minutes ago, khowell said:

Go figure.

Thank you

Another problem with this is [[SMTP ERROR--1]] is undocumented and offers no explanation of how to resolve it for the user. Other error numbers 2.... are documented.

• Like 1

The longer timeout required may also be associated to my recent "upgrade" of the old Comcast modem to a faster xFi modem.  I was also having problems using FTP to my NAS through that system, so recently I had to find another solution to that situation.  Now everything works.

Documentation on the [[SMTP ERROR--1]] would be very helpful.

• Like 1
20 hours ago, khowell said:

The longer timeout required may also be associated to my recent "upgrade" of the old Comcast modem to a faster xFi modem.  I was also having problems using FTP to my NAS through that system, so recently I had to find another solution to that situation.  Now everything works.

Documentation on the [[SMTP ERROR--1]] would be very helpful.

It isn't that.  I have an IoP and a 994i on the same internet connection.  The 994i works just fine with the default 1000ms but the IoP does not. 

• Like 1

I have the same issue.  I've tried gmail and my comcast account, both come up with the -1 error ?

FYI Use default works fine with my work email but with all three of my Microsoft email addresses I got 2 or 3 through and then nothing. looks like they are getting blocked.

email3.jpg.479dcc10426c40138b717bdaf9d27d20.jpgemail2.jpg.bdf973f2fce91bc6effec2b3c1b1fb03.jpgemail1.jpg.e7ab29cb286b41358863986fb54c88c4.jpgr.

Edited by EJones01
9 hours ago, EJones01 said:

I have the same issue.  I've tried gmail and my comcast account, both come up with the -1 error ?

FYI Use default works fine with my work email but with all three of my Microsoft email addresses I got 2 or 3 through and then nothing. looks like they are getting blocked.

email3.jpg.479dcc10426c40138b717bdaf9d27d20.jpgemail2.jpg.bdf973f2fce91bc6effec2b3c1b1fb03.jpgemail1.jpg.e7ab29cb286b41358863986fb54c88c4.jpgr.

Try changing to the correct port for your Gmail account. Look at @Geddy's example in his post above. Also make sure you follow directions for creating and using an app password for Gmail.

• Like 1
16 hours ago, EJones01 said:

I've tried gmail and my comcast account, both come up with the -1 error ?

If you've set up all the entries as I have in the screenshot above and you still get the -1 error then the password is not correct. (That's at least one error that gave me that result). 

I just went into my Polisy setup and changed the password to an incorrect password and tried sending a test alert and received:

image.png

I changed the password back to the APP PASSWORD (as detailed in the wiki setup for advanced security requirement for Gmail accounts) and it worked just fine. 

Wiki: the "NOTE" is the most important change that took place this year. 

Configuring gmail Account

(NOTE: As of May 2022 Google has removed the ability for logging in with simply a Username/Pass (used to be considered "Less Secure Apps" process of logging in). Google accounts are now required to have Advanced Security enabled (Two-Factor Authorization type of access). Please refer to Google Account Help for specific directions on how to generate an App Specific password that will then be used in configuring ISY Email Setup.

1. Login to your gmail account
  2. Go to Settings | Forwarding and POP/IMAP. Under POP Download, make sure POP is enabled.
  3. Go to Settings | Filters and Blocked Addresses and make you are not blocking yourself

Configuring (unique) App Password

(Required as of May 2022)

1. Go to Account from the Google apps list of apps
  2. Click on Security in the list on the left
  3. Click on App passwords found under "Signing in to Google" (You will need to enter your password to proceed)
  4. Click on Select App and Select Other (Custom Name)
  5. Enter ISY (or any other identifier - this is only for your information to identify what service is using the password)
  6. Click on Generate
  7. Copy (or make note of) the generated password to be used later
  8. Click DONE to store the newly created app specific password to your account

This created a unique 16 character password, save it (copy to clipboard) and use it when setting up Gmail below instead of the primary account password.

See App Password for more info.

Configuring for Use with gmail

1. Make sure you have configured your gmail Account (see above)
  2. Go to Admin Console | Configuration tab | Emails/Notifications
  3. Under SMTP Settings ensure Use Default is Not checked
  4. For SMTP Server enter smtp.gmail.com
  5. For SMTP Port enter 587
  6. For User ID enter the username associated with your gmail account (e.g. abc@gmail.com)
  7. For Password enter the password associated with your Account
  8. For From you can leave it blank. If your service allows it, you can add a display name ensuring the format follows First-Name Last-Name:Email-Address"
  9. Make sure TLS is checked
  10. For timeout, 5000 (or more)
  11. Click on the Save button
  12. Test (Often times the "TEST" email is considered SPAM by many free email servers. So if it does not show up right away please check your SPAM folder. Normal alerts should receive to in-box normally, but you may need to add the address to trusted senders or setup a filter to never filter ISY notifications.)

Attention: The "FROM" field contains an important ":" (colon) between the "First-Name Last-Name" and "Email-Address" portion. That is VERY important to include if you want a display name to appear in the sent message. If you do not include the colon and have something other than just the email address it WILL FAIL.

16 hours ago, EJones01 said:

my comcast account

Doesn't look like you setup the Comcast account correctly either. I know @MrBill uses it so I know it works. I don't know specifics but looking at Xfinity support found these links that might help. Looks like you might need to allow 3rd party access in the email account on Xfinity's site then set up the SMTP as they say in another area.

Step 1 - https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/third-party-email-access

Step 2 - https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/email-client-programs-with-xfinity-email

Specifically for step 2:

• Outgoing Mail Server Name: smtp.comcast.net
  • Outgoing Mail Server Port Number: 587 (SMTP)
    • If Needed: 465 (SMTPS)
  • Encryption: TLS (use SSL if TLS isn't shown.)

Since ISY only offers TLS then you must use Port # 587. Your screenshot for Comcast above only showed using port # 465, but ISY doesn't offer SSL authentication for sending.

• Like 1

Comcast Mail:

Server: smtp.comcast.net
user: the part before the @ only
From:  Home:full@email.com  (Note: TEXT COLON full@email.com -- both halves of this field MUST BE populated)
Use TLS: Checked
Port: 587
Password: YOUR PASSWORD
Timeout: long, I use 3000 on a 994, there are reports it needs to be longer like 10,000 on Polisy.

Don't Fill out the FROM line in customization, leave it fully blank, not even a space.

Edited by MrBill
  • Like 2
On 12/3/2022 at 12:44 PM, MrBill said:

Comcast Mail:

Server: smtp.comcast.net
user: the part before the @ only
From:  Home:full@email.com  (Note: TEXT COLON full@email.com -- both halves of this field MUST BE populated)
Use TLS: Checked
Port: 587
Password: YOUR PASSWORD
Timeout: long, I use 3000 on a 994, there are reports it needs to be longer like 10,000 on Polisy.

Don't Fill out the FROM line in customization, leave it fully blank, not even a space.

Thank you so much for this clear description (and Geddy). I suspect it was the from field that was causing my issue. All working OK now!

Edited by EJones01
  • Like 1