Let me get this straight... Polisy --> ZMatter --> USB enclosure --> eISY

JTsao

I am currently running IoP and PG3 on the Polisy Pro - I purchased and have received a ZMatter board, which plugs into the Polisy Pro box in one of the expansion slots - but it appears to me that (please confirm each)

1) I can purchase a USB enclosure for the ZMatter board for eISY

2) I can also use the ZMatter board in one of the Polisy Pro USB ports if I buy and put it into the enclosure

3) So there are two ways for the Polisy to use the ZMatter board?  Internal slot OR USB Port?  

4) And either one works?

5) And now you can purchase the ZMatter USB Dongle which = ZMatter board + enclosure?

If all of the above is true, then I'm purchasing the USB enclosure and putting the ZMatter board on the end of a USB extension cable, which is exactly how I have the current USB sticks for ZWave (Zooz) and Insteon (2448A7)

Finally - any benefits or advantages to using ZMatter in the slot vs. the USB Port?

5 minutes ago, JTsao said:

I am currently running IoP and PG3 on the Polisy Pro - I purchased and have received a ZMatter board, which plugs into the Polisy Pro box in one of the expansion slots - but it appears to me that (please confirm each)

2) I can also use the ZMatter board in one of the Polisy Pro USB ports if I buy and put it into the enclosure

3) So there are two ways for the Polisy to use the ZMatter board?  Internal slot OR USB Port?  

4) And either one works?

5) And now you can purchase the ZMatter USB Dongle which = ZMatter board + enclosure?

If all of the above is true, then I'm purchasing the USB enclosure and putting the ZMatter board on the end of a USB extension cable, which is exactly how I have the current USB sticks for ZWave (Zooz) and Insteon (2448A7)

Finally - any benefits or advantages to using ZMatter in the slot vs. the USB Port?

Sorry, I can't answer any of these with authority.  I can guess, though 😀

1. Yes
  2. I can't imagine why not, as data throughput likely isn't an issue
  3. I'd think so, yes
  4. See 3 above
  5. Yes

Remotely locating the ZMatter dongle in a high, central location (away from your Polisy) might work very well.  I'm considering this, as I'd like to have my Polisy in an accessible location, but I could put the dongle in the attic.

I doubt that the data rates from the field to your Polisy through the dongle would be sufficient to swamp a modern USB device.  The only advantage I see is that inserted in the Polisy, it's out of harms way.

BUT, check with UDI first!

11 minutes ago, JTsao said:

4) And either one works?

Any advantages will probably come down to your environment. Personally, i doubt you'll notice a difference unless your polisy is inside of a metal box and you need to get the signal outside of it. 

Well, now I wished that I had waited to buy the entire USB ZMatter Dongle - one more thing - there is supposed to be a member discount to get the USB enclosure - I logged into my ISY Portal account but still don't see a discount - is there another type of member or does the UD Store have a problem?

I'd be interested in how well the board works with antenna extenders or external antennas.  My ISY and Polisy are both in a utility room, in a network rack surrounded by a furnace, water heater, etc...  Thus far I've not had range issues with ISY 994 with ZWave, but with all the additional antennas it would be useful to relocate as I'm not sure I can have all those antennas in my current rack & it  would be useful to get them up to the ceiling of the the utility room for additional range.   I know the last time there was an external antenna option with the ISY, it actually reduced range so i'd be curious if that has changed. I may have to experiment. It looks like you can get extension cables and even antenna arrays relatively cheap.  Given all the antennas it would be cool to embed them in a 3D Sauron helmet or something else aesthetically pleasing.  at that point, they could be put anywhere!

27 minutes ago, JTsao said:

Well, now I wished that I had waited to buy the entire USB ZMatter Dongle - one more thing - there is supposed to be a member discount to get the USB enclosure - I logged into my ISY Portal account but still don't see a discount - is there another type of member or does the UD Store have a problem?

For developers

• Like 1
On 12/13/2022 at 2:32 PM, Hunter Aviator said:

I'd be interested in how well the board works with antenna extenders or external antennas.  My ISY and Polisy are both in a utility room, in a network rack surrounded by a furnace, water heater, etc...  Thus far I've not had range issues with ISY 994 with ZWave, but with all the additional antennas it would be useful to relocate as I'm not sure I can have all those antennas in my current rack & it  would be useful to get them up to the ceiling of the the utility room for additional range.   I know the last time there was an external antenna option with the ISY, it actually reduced range so i'd be curious if that has changed. I may have to experiment. It looks like you can get extension cables and even antenna arrays relatively cheap.  Given all the antennas it would be cool to embed them in a 3D Sauron helmet or something else aesthetically pleasing.  at that point, they could be put anywhere!

I upgraded from Zooz to ZMatter today (all manually). The first device I included was a Yale Assure lock. Before with ISY994i/500 series, and Polisy/Zooz I always had to try several times until it adopted, and even then it seemed to take a while before it became more reliable over time. Adding a few other ZW Plus devices to use as repeaters nearby also seemed to be required. But I was surprised that the lock by itself, with no repeaters, worked perfect first try and was reliable as only Z-Wave device!!! Since then I have added about 18 other devices and no communication issues... just a couple quirks irrelevant to communication that I am discussing over in the support thread. FYI, my Polisy is downstairs basement, about 15 ft. from front lock which is on the main level.