Support thread for: IoX v.5.5.0

We identified the bug some users were having where the Admin Console would just wait on "Initializing System".

If one or more of your Z-Wave devices send very frequent reports (one a second or so) then it is likely you will run into this problem.  We hope to have a fix for it early next week.

Have a great weekend, Happy New Year!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So, I've upgraded to 5.5.2 (no problems), and then I restored from my ISY backup, and I saw all the Z-Wave nodes. But, other than that, the restore was completely useless, as none of the 80+ Z-Wave nodes appear to be working and none of the Z-Wave UIs for each of the 80+ nodes appear to populate at all. Thus, I would consider the migration to be a complete failure so far, at least for me. I'll file a ticket.

5 minutes ago, ddaggett1 said:

So, I've upgraded to 5.5.2 (no problems), and then I restored from my ISY backup, and I saw all the Z-Wave nodes. But, other than that, the restore was completely useless, as none of the 80+ Z-Wave nodes appear to be working and none of the Z-Wave UIs for each of the 80+ nodes appear to populate at all. Thus, I would consider the migration to be a complete failure so far, at least for me. I'll file a ticket.

Curious what the purpose is of restoring from ISY backup... I haven't seen the migration instructions so is this part of the migration process? Were you trying to migrate from Zooz USB ZWave to internal ZMatter?

My Z-wave migration failed and I can no longer log in to IoX. I’m essentially dead in the water. Put in a service ticket hours ago and no response yet. 
my upgrade to 5.5.2 from 5.5.0 went okay. After a few hours decided to try the z-wave migration. I have the ZooZ stick and the Matter module installed internally. Only have about a dozen z-wave devices but many Insteon. Just now pulled the plug on Polisy. You can imagine my dismay and disappointment with UDI. 

• Sad 1

How about we all give the UDI team a break over New Years and postpone any migration to 2023? They've been working very hard (and we've been sharing a ton of useful info for the team), to help us upgrade...

Have a very happy New Year!

Let's pick up this battle on 2 Jan.

• Like 3
51 minutes ago, TriLife said:

How about we all give the UDI team a break over New Years and postpone any migration to 2023? They've been working very hard (and we've been sharing a ton of useful info for the team), to help us upgrade...

Have a very happy New Year!

Let's pick up this battle on 2 Jan.

How about they answer my service ticket and get me back online?

• Sad 1
2 hours ago, Chris Jahn said:

We identified the bug some users were having where the Admin Console would just wait on "Initializing System".

If one or more of your Z-Wave devices send very frequent reports (one a second or so) then it is likely you will run into this problem.  We hope to have a fix for it early next week.

Have a great weekend, Happy New Year!

Happy New Year to you too and THANKS for the great job.

• Like 2

Ahhhh... I thought the migration tool was ready. That's what I was trying to do, and that's what I thought the "5.5.2 is ready" announcement said/meant (see the first sentence of the linked page below

). These are all clearly first world problems - at least for me - so not the end of the world if UD doesn't respond to my ticket immediately. That said, the migration tool pretty clearly isn't ready or stable, so if you're trying to migrate as contemplated in the announcement link above, it may not work. I really do appreciate the level of effort and commitment from UD support, however - they are truly unique in that way. Thanks for all the hard work, and I'm sure we'll get it working eventually :-) Happy New Year!

• Like 2
11 hours ago, asbril said:

It is my understanding that the migration tool is not ready and therefore trying to migrate may result in the issues that you are experiencing.

If the migration tool isn't ready, would it not be possible to grey out the button until it works, @Michel Kohanim? It seems like there are a lot of people chomping at the bit to migrate and are just creating extra work for themselves and you in the process... Just a thought.

Happy New year in any case!

• Like 1
23 hours ago, TriLife said:

does that mean your Z-Wave devices communicate with both at the same time?

I want to make sure that I understand your question....

A Zwave device communicates with EITHER Polisy or eisy, not with both. It cn only be "included" with one hub.

Some Notes on upgrading from 5.5.0 to 5.5.2 while using ZMatter for z-wave:

1. Many have noticed that after the upgrade, your Z-Wave devices don't work. As a first step, you can select the node and do "Synchronize with Interview." If this doesn't work, exclude than re-include the device. Remember to wake-up battery-powered devices as you try the Synchronize.

If Synchronize works then all scenes and programs using the device will work. If you need to re-include then you will need to rebuild affected scenes and programs.

2. If you try and run a Synchronize with Interview" with some devices, (e.g. Aeontec Wallmote ) the Scene node(s) will be deleted. These are the only nodes that will trigger programs. To bring them back, exclude and then re-include the device.

3. As Chris mentioned, "chatty devices" with ~1-second update frequency will currently stop IoX from booting properly. IoX will be stuck in "Initializing System" and no programs will run. If you unplug these devices (hopefully your battery devices are not reporting with this frequency :) ) and restart IoX, it will startup properly. You can then plug-in the chatty devices.

Chris stated that a permanent fix is coming for this but still, you may want to review your devices and make sure they aren't causing unneeded z-wave traffic. In my case I have ~40 devices and my system was being hung by 4 Intertek smart plugs wanting to report energy use information  every second. In my case, I don't care about the energy use and turned this off via device parameters. I can now restart IoX 5.5.2 without needing to unplug these devices.

Edited by gviliunas
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, asbril said:

I want to make sure that I understand your question....

A Zwave device communicates with EITHER Polisy or eisy, not with both. It cn only be "included" with one hub.

That's what I figured, just wanting to make sure.

But, if you migrate to ZMatter, is that a one-way street? That means, after migration ( successful or not) if i turn off eISY/ZMatter and turn on Polisy/zwave500 again, will the devices connect to the Polisy again? Or do the individual sensors get uniquely paired with eISY/ZMatter during migration?

You understand my concern: migration is sketchy at this point, and I'm wondering if there is a working configuration to fall back on...

Cheers and happy new year 

With some of the posts here, I felt hopeful about Z-Wave (via Z-Matter board or whatever we want to call it) on Polisy with 5.5.2 -  but even after excluding and re-adding August Lock, there is still no node for it in Admin Console.
Also applies to the Aeotec Z-Wave Repeater, for what it's worth.
This is the same experience I have had since installing the board.

Device count incremented (X-Ray shows Node 4 and 5 now instead of 2 and 3).
Still available from /rest/zmatter/zwave/dh/node/4/cc/0 and /rest/zmatter/zwave/dh/node/5/cc/0.

@Chris Jahn / @Michel Kohanim - is this still expected on a fresh Z-Wave (via Z-Matter board) setup (no migration, no Zooz ever set up)?
If this is already known and being worked on, great, I will be patient.
If this is unexpected, or if there are additional details I can provide to help y'all, please let me know.

39 minutes ago, TriLife said:

But, if you migrate to ZMatter, is that a one-way street? That means, after migration ( successful or not) if i turn off eISY/ZMatter and turn on Polisy/zwave500 again, will the devices connect to the Polisy again? Or do the individual sensors get uniquely paired with eISY/ZMatter during migration?

You understand my concern: migration is sketchy at this point, and I'm wondering if there is a working configuration to fall back on...

As said, migration is not fully ready, so my best advice is not doing it right now. My best guess is that to avoid any conflict / trouble, keep the hub or origin (in my case Polisy) powered off when restoring the Polisy backup to eisy.  It could create all kind of trouble if the same Zwave id is recognized by 2 hubs.

Your question is probably, but what if the migration fails, then can you still use the original hub ? That is an excellent question, and theoretically (BUT do NOT take my word for it), in such case I could imagine that if I then keep the eisy powered off, and power on the Polisy again, the old set up would still work.

But there too many IFs for the be sure about that.

As before, my best advice is to wait for UD, and more experienced users, to post about this.

1 hour ago, TriLife said:

A device can only be part of 1 controller so if you move then that's it. You would need to re-add it to your new controller at that point since the keys between devices and controller would be broken.

This is why you have to exclude and then include a device that was previously used on another controller. 

43 minutes ago, lilyoyo1 said:

A device can only be part of 1 controller so if you move then that's it. You would need to re-add it to your new controller at that point since the keys between devices and controller would be broken.

This is why you have to exclude and then include a device that was previously used on another controller. 

Thanks for the clarification @lilyoyo1.

I don't know about you guys, but for me it's time for a new year's libation. With all the fireworks in this country, we're staying home to comfort our dogs.

happy New Year 🎉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Well - I bit the bullet and did the migration. I verified I don't have rapidly reporting devices fgirst (due to the reported bug in this area). Appears to have worked well. Some comments:

There really should be an event logged saying when processing is complete. Otherwise, it's just waiting until it stops logging. Far from ideal.

Starting without the ZMatter installed - I got the the point where it told me to power off and install it - along with disconnecting the zooz dongle. It was not clear if I clicked 'OK' first then powered down - or powered down with the console open and the 'OK' prompt.

After reboot - and after processing - I gained a lot of new zwave nodes. "Assoc Only", "Scene Responder", "Access Control Alarm", "Weather Sensor" and "Multilevel Sensor" nodes. I assume this is normal. However - all were put in the root folder instead of next to where the other nodes for the device are. Not a big deal - but something to be aware of.

"Insteon Support" got turned off in the console. Not sure why. I turned it back on afterwards.

Still having to go thru and ensure all my programs and scenes survuved the migration - so so far so good!

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Techman said:

image.jpeg.f546a77a77ba154ecb5b8c2f0d5460b8.jpeg

These are the Multisensor 6 nodes than now show up with the 5.5.2 firmware and Zmatter 

The humidity node which should be in the "Multisensor" node is now displayed in the "Weather Sensor" node

I wondered where the 'Weather Sensor' came from. Makes sense... 😕

Most devices are working fine it seems.

I have one switch that I was previously triggering an action by triggering a program on 'Hail'. That's not working anymore though. I tried the 'Update' that @Chris Jahn suggested above - but it has not resolved it.

Tailing the ZWAY.LOG file I see this when turning the device ON then 'OFF':

[2022-12-31 21:44:09.820] [D] [...] RECEIVED: ( 01 0B 00 04 00 18 02 82 01 BC 00 00 D5 )
[2022-12-31 21:44:09.820] [D] [...] SENT ACK
[2022-12-31 21:44:09.820] [D] [...] SETDATA devices.24.data.lastReceived = 0 (0x00000000)
[2022-12-31 21:44:09.820] [W] [...] Report received, but command class is not supported by the device
[2022-12-31 21:44:09.820] [E] [...] Error returned from _zway_cc_call_handler(zway, device->default_instance, controller->id, 0, data[4 + L], &data[5 + L]): Function class not supported by the hardware (-4)

[2022-12-31 21:44:13.562] [D] [...] RECEIVED: ( 01 0B 00 04 00 18 02 82 01 B9 00 00 D0 )
[2022-12-31 21:44:13.562] [D] [...] SENT ACK
[2022-12-31 21:44:13.562] [D] [...] SETDATA devices.24.data.lastReceived = 0 (0x00000000)
[2022-12-31 21:44:13.562] [W] [...] Report received, but command class is not supported by the device
[2022-12-31 21:44:13.562] [E] [...] Error returned from _zway_cc_call_handler(zway, device->default_instance, controller->id, 0, data[4 + L], &data[5 + L]): Function class not supported by the hardware (-4)

I have tried adding the new "Scene Responder" node into a scene with the original "Dimmer Switch" node but the scene is not triggering. The scene also contains a LIFX group - and 'manually' turning the scene on or off correctly controls the scene. It's just the zwave switch is not. 

I must be missing something obvious - the 'Hail' previously was a hack I know but it was satisfactory. Would love to get this back. Not sure what "Function class not supported by the hardware" means in this context - a function the zmatter does not support?

4 hours ago, MWareman said:

Most devices are working fine it seems.

I have one switch that I was previously triggering an action by triggering a program on 'Hail'. That's not working anymore though. I tried the 'Update' that @Chris Jahn suggested above - but it has not resolved it.

Tailing the ZWAY.LOG file I see this when turning the device ON then 'OFF':

[2022-12-31 21:44:09.820] [D] [...] RECEIVED: ( 01 0B 00 04 00 18 02 82 01 BC 00 00 D5 )
[2022-12-31 21:44:09.820] [D] [...] SENT ACK
[2022-12-31 21:44:09.820] [D] [...] SETDATA devices.24.data.lastReceived = 0 (0x00000000)
[2022-12-31 21:44:09.820] [W] [...] Report received, but command class is not supported by the device
[2022-12-31 21:44:09.820] [E] [...] Error returned from _zway_cc_call_handler(zway, device->default_instance, controller->id, 0, data[4 + L], &data[5 + L]): Function class not supported by the hardware (-4)

[2022-12-31 21:44:13.562] [D] [...] RECEIVED: ( 01 0B 00 04 00 18 02 82 01 B9 00 00 D0 )
[2022-12-31 21:44:13.562] [D] [...] SENT ACK
[2022-12-31 21:44:13.562] [D] [...] SETDATA devices.24.data.lastReceived = 0 (0x00000000)
[2022-12-31 21:44:13.562] [W] [...] Report received, but command class is not supported by the device
[2022-12-31 21:44:13.562] [E] [...] Error returned from _zway_cc_call_handler(zway, device->default_instance, controller->id, 0, data[4 + L], &data[5 + L]): Function class not supported by the hardware (-4)

I have tried adding the new "Scene Responder" node into a scene with the original "Dimmer Switch" node but the scene is not triggering. The scene also contains a LIFX group - and 'manually' turning the scene on or off correctly controls the scene. It's just the zwave switch is not. 

I must be missing something obvious - the 'Hail' previously was a hack I know but it was satisfactory. Would love to get this back. Not sure what "Function class not supported by the hardware" means in this context - a function the zmatter does not support?

I have issues with Hail also and he is going to try to experiment with some switches to see if can get working.

Regarding scenes, I noticed that I haven't been able to trigger a scene using a zwave device either.. doesn't really bother me since I don't require it at this time and all my zwave devices in scenes are responders, but I am pretty sure it worked before when I tested - the ISY would "fake" an insteon type scene.

Since v5.5.2 has anyone tried reconfiguring parameters on a Zen17? I have mine working as-is with ZMatter and I only use one separate input and output relay on each one so I don't really have a need to reconfigure at this time to isolate the relays from the inputs... just wondering if works properly now though.

6 hours ago, brians said:

Since v5.5.2 has anyone tried reconfiguring parameters on a Zen17? I have mine working as-is with ZMatter and I only use one separate input and output relay on each one so I don't really have a need to reconfigure at this time to isolate the relays from the inputs... just wondering if works properly now though.

Since using the Zmatter both on Polisy and eisy the Zen 17 can be configured to isolate the inputs from the relays but the Zmatter doesn't pickup the additional child devices on 5.5.0 or 5.5.2. So there are no separate input devices showing on the AC

The Zen 16 is only showing one power switch where it should be showing three.

My z-wave migration failed, and I had to restore IoX back to the pre-migration 5.5.2 backup. I'm using the ZooZ Z-Wave USB Stick and the ZMatter board is installed. I have some z-wave devices configured but not plugged in and are marked as disabled. I'm wondering if during the migration the z-wave controller has to communicate with a device, and it isn't plugged in what harm that could cause? Perhaps I should remove those devices from the network before attempting another migration.