EISY and integration with HomeAssistant

Anton

Team,
the EISY seems the future - and I am very much inclined to get an EISY soon.
I have several questions for that:
a) is the 'refined' version of the FreeBSD still close enough to the stock version of FreeBSD to run VirtualBox and have HomeAssistant  (HA) setup there?
Or
b) can HA be set up via Docker in EISY's FreeBSD right away?
For that, what Docker version is supported by the 'refined' version of FreeeBSD?

I like very much the ability of having only one server (EISY) and run several apps on it, versus having 1, 2 or 3 RasperryPIs in close proximity for the individual sub-functions.

Thanks,
Anton

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

UD Team,

I now have an eisy in hand and many insteon devices hard wired and working fine on my ISY994i. My plm has a rj45 jack which I think is incompatible with the eisy. I feel like I'm in limbo without a comprehensive setup guide for the eisy and have the same questions,expectations and intentions as Anton.

I too am hoping for a detailed response from the team to Anton's questions and will be following this thread.

Edited by BWalsack
On 1/16/2023 at 9:31 AM, Anton said:

I think your questions are best asked directly to UDI. You should contact them through their website:
https://www.universal-devices.com/contact-us/

As for the forums this is more for user-to-user support and UDI does help out with keeping things in line from time to time, but currently the focus is on sorting out the eisy release and keeping IoX moving forward. 

@BWalsack I think your primary question (related to PLM) is deserving of a new post, but will leave here so you can "follow" the prior questions. Best way to "follow" a thread is clicking the follow button (image.png) at the top and setting up how you get notifications from the site.

But, for your issue of connecting the PLM to the eisy you need to get the Serial PLM kit that UDI offers to handle taking the PLM signal from the rj45 jack (really a modified cable using serial signals) to a serial DB9 then the DB9 to USB cable. This is mentioned in the eisy page under "Device Support". 

There are numerous other posts about how to connect the serial PLM to the eisy. Additionally, there was a rj45 to DB9 cable included in all serial PLM boxes. Many long time users might have tossed the cable since the ISY994 accepted the modified rj45 connector and didn't realize the Serial cable was also in the box. If you still have your packaging look in there. Please note it's NOT the same as just taking a standard network cable and going from PLM to DB9. This information has been posted in many other threads. Use the forum search or Google Site search to look for "pinout" configuration.

A lot of this was covered in the pinned post by @lilyoyo1 in this area.

Should you have further related sales questions I suggest you use the "contact us" link provided above to directly pose these questions to UDI. These forums are more for after purchase support rather than sales support. 

On 1/16/2023 at 8:31 AM, Anton said:

Team,
the EISY seems the future - and I am very much inclined to get an EISY soon.
a) is the 'refined' version of the FreeBSD still close enough to the stock version of FreeBSD to run VirtualBox and have HomeAssistant  (HA) setup there?
Or
b) can HA be set up via Docker in EISY's FreeBSD right away?
For that, what Docker version is supported by the 'refined' version of FreeeBSD?

I like very much the ability of having only one server (EISY) and run several apps on it, versus having 1, 2 or 3 RasperryPIs in close proximity for the individual sub-functions.

Thanks,
Anton

a) There is no VirtualBox binary for FreeBSD.

b) There is no Docker support for FreeBSD.