Wanting to move forward from iSY994 to iSY on Polisy (IOP)

iSY 994i Pro, Currently 5.0.16C, Zwave module, Zwave version 4.55.0

Polisy Version 2, Version 2.2.13 Connected, Frontend Version: 2.2.9-5

I haven't upgraded my iSY past 5.0.16C because I understood my Z-Wave module would not work.

I'm using Polisy as a node server for Hue, NuHeat, and Sono, although Sonos doesn't really work.

My current goal is to update/upgrade my Polisy to deprecate my iSY.

I can never find my Polisy with the iSY finder but so I don't think it's running IOP?

I can log into my Polisy web server and command line and it looks like it's version 3 but I can't figure out how to update it and run IOP.

I've been stuck here for a while and I don't know what to do next. Any help is greatly appreciated!

• Like 1
16 hours ago, DreamerI90 said:

iSY 994i Pro, Currently 5.0.16C, Zwave module, Zwave version 4.55.0

I haven't upgraded my iSY past 5.0.16C because I understood my Z-Wave module would not work.

I'm using Polisy as a node server for Hue, NuHeat, and Sono, although Sonos doesn't really work.

My current goal is to update/upgrade my Polisy to deprecate my iSY.

I can never find my Polisy with the iSY finder but so I don't think it's running IOP?

I can log into my Polisy web server and command line and it looks like it's version 3 but I can't figure out how to update it and run IOP.

I've been stuck here for a while and I don't know what to do next. Any help is greatly appreciated!

I am not clear on all of what you are saying, so I would suggest baby steps starting at the beginning.

If you can use ssh to get into your Polisy (login is admin/admin), run the following and post the output:

• sudo uname -a

@DreamerI90 You didn't ask, but there are 2 Sonos node servers.  The ST-Sonos one works great; however, it has to be restarted periodically.  Good luck with the transition to IOP, I'm still running ISY/Polisy.   I'll probably just jump straight to EISY when the time comes.

You may want to verify that you can go to IOP from 5.0.16C rather than upgrading to 5.3.4 first.  My understanding is that if your Z Wave device is a 300 series, then you have to stay on 5.0.16C.  If a 500 series, you can go to 5.3.4.

Ross

17 hours ago, DreamerI90 said:

It seems that your Polisy is out of date (i.e. you haven't been updating it along the way). Since you do not have IoP running the preferred/suggested method of the "Upgrade Packages" in admin console is not an option.

Your best bet would be to open a support ticket and get the proper steps to bring the Polisy up to current release for everything related to the Polisy.

https://www.universal-devices.com/my-tickets/

Then, as @Ross suggests if you're using Z-wave and only have a 300 series controller then you would not be able to perform a migration from ISY to Polisy. Those steps require ISY994 on 5.3.4. I don't think 300 series Z-wave will migrate to ZMatter. 

Do you even use the Z-Wave portion of your ISY994? If not then you could remove the board, upgrade to 5.3.4 then the migration steps would apply. Directions to install the Z-wave board are in the wiki. Just follow in reverse to remove the board.

Support can assist with that information for the time being as well. 

Please review the Polisy User Guide on the UD wiki for assistance with the migration - https://wiki.universal-devices.com/index.php?title=Polisy:User_Guide

• Like 1

Dennis,

This is what I got back:
[admin@polisy ~]$ sudo uname -a
FreeBSD polisy 13.0-RELEASE FreeBSD 13.0-RELEASE #6 releng/13.0-n244733-ea31abc261f-dirty: Sat Apr 17 16:08:37 UTC 2021     ec2-user@bsdev.isy.io:/usr/obj/usr/src/amd64.amd64/sys/POLISY  amd64

Ross,

I believe my Zwave module (~4-5 years old?) cannot go past 5.0.16C and so is probably a 300 series.

This is the Sonos node server I'm running, it's the only one I see in Polisy when I go to the Nodeserver Store:

Sonos 2.0.8 James Milne (Einstein.42) python3 Add Sonos control to the ISY994.

How do I get the ST-Sonos node server?

Also, when I try to check for updates or update my Polisy it says to wait but nothing ever happens that I can tell.

Thank youl!

Geddy,

I have Zwave controlling my kitchen lights, they are LED and flickered terribly when I tried to use Insteon controls.

My Polisy is not doing much and seems like it would do everything eiSY would do for me if I can get it updated, running iOP, and adding the new Zwave/Matter board.

I'll work with support to see if I can get it updated.

Thank you!

5 minutes ago, DreamerI90 said:

Dennis,

This is what I got back:
FreeBSD polisy 13.0-RELEASE FreeBSD 13.0-RELEASE #6 releng/13.0-n244733-ea31abc261f-dirty: Sat Apr 17 16:08:37 UTC 2021     ec2-user@bsdev.isy.io:/usr/obj/usr/src/amd64.amd64/sys/POLISY  amd64

Ross,

I believe my Zwave module (~4-5 years old?) cannot go past 5.0.16C and so is probably a 300 series.

This is the Sonos node server I'm running, it's the only one I see in Polisy when I go to the Nodeserver Store:

Also, when I try to check for updates or update my Polisy it says to wait but nothing ever happens that I can tell.

Thank youl!

Well, while you are behind in updates, the good news is you don't appear to be so far behind that you can not upgrade yourself. According to the wiki, you need to be on at OS version 13 & it looks like you are. 

As @Geddyindicated above, you can open a support ticket for expert assistance.

If you want to try to update yourself before opening the support ticket, let me know and I will tell you how to open a log screen to monitor the process.

9 minutes ago, DreamerI90 said:

Thank youl!

How many ZWave devices are you running? You will not be able to migrate ZWave, so you will need to install your ZWave devices as new. You will also need a ZWave dongle for your Polisy. If you want to migrate all of the way to current latest & greatest, you will need a ZMatter dongle for Polisy from UD.  From here:

https://www.universal-devices.com/product/zmatter-z-wave-matter-module-for-polisy-beta/

This board can be inserted inside your Polisy, or you can add an enclosure and connect it via USB port to Polisy.

Also, since you have Insteon, does your Polisy have a PLM? If you want to migrate your PLM from ISY to Polisy and you are currently using a serial PLM, you will need UD's serial cord kit from here:

https://www.universal-devices.com/product/serial-plm-kit/

Once you are updated, we can get you on PG3 and then you can will have access to all of the available node servers. Here is a list of node servers:

https://polyglot.universal-devices.com/

12 minutes ago, DreamerI90 said:

I have Zwave controlling my kitchen lights, they are LED and flickered terribly when I tried to use Insteon controls.

That could be a sign of incompatibility between the switch and the LED bulb. Some LED bulbs work better than others. Check your switches to see if they are compatible with LED bulbs.

@DennisC

Although I have a half a dozen Zwave devices, the most important are my kitchen lights and maybe front door lock. I think I've figured out most of how to get through this, pull Zwave, upgrade to 5.3.4., migrate to IOP, install new Zwave/matter board, rebuild Zwave, but I'm stuck at the upgrade Polisy and run IOP prerequisite.

The LED light flickering is caused by the Insteon PLC traffic, it only flickers when there is an Insteon command.

When I used Switchlinc or Keypadlinc dimmers the flickering was dramatic. When I use only Zwave on the kitchen light circuits the flickering is barely noticeable.

1 minute ago, DreamerI90 said:

@DennisC "If you want to try to update yourself before opening the support ticket, let me know and I will tell you how to open a log screen to monitor the process."

I'm game and already have both dashboard and SSH access. Your help is greatly appreciated!

ssh in to Polisy

Force an update by typing:

sudo pkg install -r udi pkg

Observe progress in log by typing:

sudo tail -f /var/udx/logs/log

Ctrl+C ends/closes log

When the update is completely finished (note: your update will probably take a very long time because you are way behind), then type the following to reboot:

sudo shutdown -r now

After Polisy starts back up, you will need to clear your Java cache (check all 3 boxes to delete all), and download a new start.jnlp from here: 

https://isy.universal-devices.com/start.jnlp

After downloading a new start.jnlp, click on it to run and it will add a the new IoX Launcher to your desktop.

Note: If you can access the admin console afterwards, make sure you are on v5.5.9, if not use the Upgrade Packages button under the Configuration tab. This is how all future upgrades should be done.

Also, your login credentials may revert back to admin/admin (or not, you will have to try).

If you receive a message that indicates you need to upgrade packages, and you are on v5.5.9, don't worry about it, it is a known bug that will be corrected in the next firmware upgrade.

Next, see if you can access PG3 by going to https://xxx.xxx.x.xxx:3000

You will be asked for your credentials to the portal, followed  by your PG3 credentials which now should be same as your Polisy login.

You will need to a portal login in to access PG3. If you haven't you will need to add it to your portal account. You can check the wiki for more info if needed.

10 minutes ago, DreamerI90 said:

@DennisC

Although I have a half a dozen Zwave devices, the most important are my kitchen lights and maybe front door lock. I think I've figured out most of how to get through this, pull Zwave, upgrade to 5.3.4., migrate to IOP, install new Zwave/matter board, rebuild Zwave, but I'm stuck at the upgrade Polisy and run IOP prerequisite.

You will want to follow the directions here:

https://wiki.universal-devices.com/index.php?title=Eisy:User_Guide#Migration

You will not be able to migrate your ZWave to ZMatter if that is the way you are going to go. Read through the instructions several times, it covers all of the options for different devices.

5 minutes ago, DreamerI90 said:

The LED light flickering is caused by the Insteon PLC traffic, it only flickers when there is an Insteon command.

When I used Switchlinc or Keypadlinc dimmers the flickering was dramatic. When I use only Zwave on the kitchen light circuits the flickering is barely noticeable.

Could also be noise on the line, you might need to install some filters. One step at a time......

I got a mismatch error, should I proceed?

Newer FreeBSD version for package wifibox-core:
To ignore this error set IGNORE_OSVERSION=yes
- package: 1301000
- running kernel: 1300139
Ignore the mismatch and continue? [y/N]: Please type 'Y[es]' or 'N[o]' to make a selection

10 minutes ago, DreamerI90 said:

I got a mismatch error, should I proceed?

Newer FreeBSD version for package wifibox-core:
To ignore this error set IGNORE_OSVERSION=yes
- package: 1301000
- running kernel: 1300139
Ignore the mismatch and continue? [y/N]: Please type 'Y[es]' or 'N[o]' to make a selection

At this point I would revert to @Geddy's suggestion and open a support ticket.

2 hours ago, DreamerI90 said:

Dennis,

This is what I got back:

Ross,

Thank youl!

@DreamerI90 I'm not sure what the pic is of as it doesn't look like the store I go to (maybe that's PG2?).  This is the current PG3 Node Server Store: Link.  There is a Sonos and an ST-Sonos (the one I use) there. - Ross

• 1 month later...