PG3x Compatibility?

giomania
Go to solution Solved by giomania,

The node server is on-line and connected to the EISY, but there is no actual communication between the node server and the ISY, because I can manually switch a device on via the button or its web UI, and the ISY status never updates. So I looked in the console of the Tasmota device, and it is not connecting. The only change between the Polisy and EISY is that UDI no longer allows use of static IP addresses, so I had to set a reservation in my router. This must be what is preventing the communication.

Any solutions to this from the node server side?

39 minutes ago, giomania said:

The only change between the Polisy and EISY is that UDI no longer allows use of static IP addresses, so I had to set a reservation in my router. This must be what is preventing the communication.

You should have DHCP enabled and set a DHCP Reservation in your router.

Have you restarted both PG3x and the admin console?

Have you checked the configuration tab of the node server?

Set the log to debug and try again. Afterwards check both node server log and PG3x log for errors.

2 hours ago, DennisC said:

You should have DHCP enabled and set a DHCP Reservation in your router.

Have you restarted both PG3x and the admin console?

Have you checked the configuration tab of the node server?

Set the log to debug and try again. Afterwards check both node server log and PG3x log for errors.

Yes, I do have DHCP enabled and set a DHCP Reservation in the router.

I have restarted both PG3x and the admin console.

I have checked the configuration tab of the node server.

This is the basic problem:

image.png.2bdd02f69422141891954acfcc28da23.png

I think I realized the issue: My static IP address is outside the DHCP range, as would be expected, but any reserved IP address would need to be within the DHCP range.

So I need to decide how I want to handle this going forward. I will post again with what I decide to do and confirm this is resolved.

Thanks.

Mark

@giomania the eisy should auto detect the IoX service since it's on the same machine. It should be using the IP 127.0.0.1. What are the settings for your ISY when you review using the eisy PG3x dashboard?

ISYs -> Edit Current ISY

Note that with PG3x you should not need to setup the ISY when it is the IoX service running on the same eisy. If you have altered those settings that might be your issue.

What device is at 10.10.2.20 and what is using that port? Is that something for the eisy/IoX?

What are you setting a static IP on? That option has been removed from eisy because of the number of support tickets networking issues created on the ISY994.

Another issue might arise if you have multiple VLAN and don't have cross traffic allowed. 

• Like 1
55 minutes ago, Geddy said:

@giomania the eisy should auto detect the IoX service since it's on the same machine. It should be using the IP 127.0.0.1. What are the settings for your ISY when you review using the eisy PG3x dashboard?

ISYs -> Edit Current ISY

Note that with PG3x you should not need to setup the ISY when it is the IoX service running on the same eisy. If you have altered those settings that might be your issue.

What device is at 10.10.2.20 and what is using that port? Is that something for the eisy/IoX?

What are you setting a static IP on? That option has been removed from eisy because of the number of support tickets networking issues created on the ISY994.

Another issue might arise if you have multiple VLAN and don't have cross traffic allowed. 

Here are the relevant settings for the eisy:

image.png.5cf3ca256bac208386de6e3ea285664a.png

The eisy is at 10.10.2.20

image.png.90344d96de4e972b1e437f1fcd1ea352.png

I used to have a static IP on the Polisy, but as you pointed out, that is no longer possible on the eisy, so I set the reservation in the router (UDM Dream Machine Pro), and everything connects fine and works except for MQTT.

I do have multiple LANS, and cross traffic is allowed. 

It seems like I have two options:

1) Change the reserved IP to inside the DHCP range. This requires changing many MQTT client devices and a remote program that executes scenes via the ISY through HTTP Get.

2) Change the eisy to a static IP address. I ran my ISY 994ir/Pro and Polisy for years in this fashion without a single support ticket lodged due to this configuration.

Any more insight before I decide?

Thanks.

Mark

10 minutes ago, bpwwer said:

Using 127.0.0.1 for the mqtt server means that nothing external to the eisy will be able to connect to it.  You need the eisy's external IP address there.  That's 10.10.2.20 right?

Yes, the external IP address is 10.10.2.20. I just had that in there earlier, and the result was the same. I will add it again, and restart PG3x, but I don't think that will fix the issue.

I mentioned this could be an issue earlier, but in case it was missed, let me ask a direct question:

Is there any reason why a reserved IP address that is outside the DHCP range will not connect? Like because there is probably no DNS defined because it is outside the DHCP range set in the router?

Thanks.

Mark

30 minutes ago, bpwwer said:

The connection error indicates that it can't connect to the MQTT broker.  Did you install/configure a MQTT broker for this?  If so, what do the broker logs show?

The MQTT node server is the broker. Those logs only show polling, unless I restart the node server. I restarted it and then downloaded the log, attached. I don't notice anything out of the ordinary.

MQTT_4-6-2023_22820-PM.zip

20 minutes ago, DennisC said:

I see the following in the log, could that be the issue?

mqtt_port</code> - defaults to 1883, the example in the thread uses 1884

I use 1884 because I have another MQTT broker on my HTPC that only controls the fans in my theater for 4D Wind tracks added to movies. It is long story, lol

1 hour ago, giomania said:

The MQTT node server is the broker. Those logs only show polling, unless I restart the node server. I restarted it and then downloaded the log, attached. I don't notice anything out of the ordinary.

MQTT_4-6-2023_22820-PM.zip 49.87 kB · 1 download

No, it's not.  The node server is only a MQTT client.  There needs to be a broker running somewhere that it can connect to.

The node server attempts to connect to a broker at 10.10.2.20:1884 but it never succeeds.  I just looked at the node server code.  When it connects to the broker, it outputs "Poly MQTT Connected, subscribing" to the log.  That never shows up in your log.

The configuration instructions point to this thread on the forum 

for more information on setting things up.  

15 minutes ago, bpwwer said:

No, it's not.  The node server is only a MQTT client.  There needs to be a broker running somewhere that it can connect to.

The node server attempts to connect to a broker at 10.10.2.20:1884 but it never succeeds.  I just looked at the node server code.  When it connects to the broker, it outputs "Poly MQTT Connected, subscribing" to the log.  That never shows up in your log.

The configuration instructions point to this thread on the forum 

for more information on setting things up.  

Oh darn. I guess I forgot that I probably did that back in the day. Let me do this and report back.

Thank you.

• Solution

Update on what I learned from UDI support.

MQTT is installed, however PG3 and PG3x make use of a private MQTT broker for internal communication between the various components, and that package is specifically configured to support PG3x. 

They advised I should just use another mqtt broker on another device on my network, so I used a broker on my Raspberry Pi that is for a different project, but is now serving two purposes.

I hope this helps.