Can LED indicator on 2457D2 (Dimmer Module) be turned off?

Wes Westhaver

I have a couple of 2457D2 (plug-in dimmer modules) and I would like to know how to turn the LED indicator light off. Is there a way to do this from my ISY994i?

I have some FanLinc units and the ISY994i allowed me to turn their LED indicators off.

It seems that every single gadget I have in my house comes with an LED indicator of some sort and I find it annoying to try and sleep when there's a constellation of little LEDs piercing the darkness. Very annoying...

-Wes

• Like 1

@Wes Westhaver There should be an option to turn the LED off. I don't have any of these modules so can't confirm. What settings are available when you click on the device? Is there a Backlight, Status, or LED brightness setting at all?

What Firmware are you on? (This is posted in the ISY994 area). If you're on ISY994 FW 5.x you might have to press the button labeled for the setting for it to "take". That's a UI issue that was introduced in 5.x updates. 

image.png

On this one I'd have to click on "Backlight" to get that value to set. The above is for an outlet I have so your options for the plugin dimmer might be different.

Otherwise, look up Light Dims as an option (for this and other LEDs in the room). 

There appeared to be a way to dim the light with local programming (Google the user manual for it), but not sure how that's done and it's not advised if being controlled by a controller so makes it seem that a controller would be able to turn the status light off (at least dim it some). 

39 minutes ago, Wes Westhaver said:

I have a couple of 2457D2 (plug-in dimmer modules) and I would like to know how to turn the LED indicator light off. Is there a way to do this from my ISY994i?

I have some FanLinc units and the ISY994i allowed me to turn their LED indicators off.

It seems that every single gadget I have in my house comes with an LED indicator of some sort and I find it annoying to try and sleep when there's a constellation of little LEDs piercing the darkness. Very annoying...

-Wes

I feel your pain my friend

Thank you for the findings. Maybe possible with the button routines.

I forgot the Set Button Programming sequences. It does look like the LED brightness can be adjusted.

I had looked in the Software Only section and it did not look like it could be adjusted remotely just with some manual button clicks and led indications.

On 4/11/2023 at 1:38 PM, Geddy said:

@Wes Westhaver There should be an option to turn the LED off. I don't have any of these modules so can't confirm. What settings are available when you click on the device? Is there a Backlight, Status, or LED brightness setting at all?

What Firmware are you on? (This is posted in the ISY994 area). If you're on ISY994 FW 5.x you might have to press the button labeled for the setting for it to "take". That's a UI issue that was introduced in 5.x updates. 

image.png

On this one I'd have to click on "Backlight" to get that value to set. The above is for an outlet I have so your options for the plugin dimmer might be different.

Otherwise, look up Light Dims as an option (for this and other LEDs in the room). 

There appeared to be a way to dim the light with local programming (Google the user manual for it), but not sure how that's done and it's not advised if being controlled by a controller so makes it seem that a controller would be able to turn the status light off (at least dim it some). 

I am running ISY994i Firmware 5.3.4 so I should be good to go. I assumed that the "Backlight" option would let me configure the LED brightness but apparently not.

In case it matters, the LampLinc is shown by the Admin Console as "LampLinc BiPhy v.43".

-Wes

Edited by Wes Westhaver
19 hours ago, Geddy said:

Found this online: http://cache.insteon.com/pdf/2457D2.pdf

Page 18 & 19 reference "Local Programming" that I thought might be possible if it isn't an option within the IoX system.

That flow chart is clear as mud. I am surprised that there are options that are *only* available through local programing. It would be so much better to also make them available through software.

-Wes

• Like 1
31 minutes ago, Wes Westhaver said:

I am running ISY994i Firmware 5.3.4 so I should be good to go. I assumed that the "Backlight" option would let me configure the LED brightness but apparently not.

In case it matters, the LampLinc is shown by the Admin Console as "LampLinc BiPhy v.43"

That should be correct.  The initial value of the drop-down will always be 0.  The admin console doesn’t know the setting stored in the device.  Second, after adjusting the drop-down you must press the LEFT of the drop-down that has the word backlight in it.  

21 minutes ago, MrBill said:

That should be correct.  The initial value of the drop-down will always be 0.  The admin console doesn’t know the setting stored in the device.  Second, after adjusting the drop-down you must press the LEFT of the drop-down that has the word backlight in it.  

I tried various Backlight level settings. I tried using the "Backlight" button after selecting a new level. And I tried using the "Write Changes" button to no avail. What might I be missing???

Has anyone else been able to control the LEDs in their 2457D2 modules?

-Wes

Edited by Wes Westhaver