PG3x on Polisy unreachable

sumguy

Ok, I'll admit it, I had no reason to upgrade PG3 to PG3x. I was bored and saw the upgrade path was now available. So I did it and now I can't reach PG3x via the web interface and nothing is populating in IoX. I'm going to submit a ticket but hoping someone can help me solve it before I tie up the UD guys. Here's the steps I went though:

- clicked https://polisy.local:8443/rest/pg3x.enable about a week ago. Had me log in and then gave me the following XML error. "This XML file does not appear to have any style information associated with it. The document tree is shown below." Nothing else was listed on the page.

- Since I kept getting the error, I just ignored it. PG3 still showed as installed and was working fine. Updated Polisy to 5.6.0 on Friday. After the update, I rebooted Polisy and PG3X now shows up.

- Logged in and two node servers were offline. Couldn't reboot them or do anything with them. They were just frozen. Rebooted Polisy again and now all node servers were offline. I could stop them and restart them but their status showed them all offline and they weren't reporting into IoX. Rebooted again and now I can't even get to the PG3x web interface. 

- SSH into Polisy. PG3x package shows 3.1.25. In services, I have a pg3 and polyglot listed. I don't see pg3x service. 

Anyone have any ideas what I can try next?  I do have backups of everything just in case I need to do a restore. 

Thanks in advance for any help!

1 hour ago, sumguy said:

Ok, I'll admit it, I had no reason to upgrade PG3 to PG3x. I was bored and saw the upgrade path was now available. So I did it and now I can't reach PG3x via the web interface and nothing is populating in IoX. I'm going to submit a ticket but hoping someone can help me solve it before I tie up the UD guys. Here's the steps I went though:

- clicked https://polisy.local:8443/rest/pg3x.enable about a week ago. Had me log in and then gave me the following XML error. "This XML file does not appear to have any style information associated with it. The document tree is shown below." Nothing else was listed on the page.

- Since I kept getting the error, I just ignored it. PG3 still showed as installed and was working fine. Updated Polisy to 5.6.0 on Friday. After the update, I rebooted Polisy and PG3X now shows up.

- Logged in and two node servers were offline. Couldn't reboot them or do anything with them. They were just frozen. Rebooted Polisy again and now all node servers were offline. I could stop them and restart them but their status showed them all offline and they weren't reporting into IoX. Rebooted again and now I can't even get to the PG3x web interface. 

- SSH into Polisy. PG3x package shows 3.1.25. In services, I have a pg3 and polyglot listed. I don't see pg3x service. 

Anyone have any ideas what I can try next?  I do have backups of everything just in case I need to do a restore. 

Thanks in advance for any help!

If you are up for it, try shutting down Polisy, remove power from Polisy for a bit and then start up.

See if you can get in to PG3x again. If you can and the node servers are not running, try and start them. If they won't start, try reinstalling one in the same slot. 

There is an option after clicking on install to reinstall in the same slot. Do not uninstall the existing node server, just try to reinstall and start.

Thanks @MrBill. I did see the other thread regarding similar issues and the migration process. I've been scouring the forums all night trying to find a solution.

@DennisC - Along with my numerous restarts,  I also completely pulled power last night to no avail.  

When I was able to get into PG3x, I tried to manually start the node servers. It would tell me they were already running. According to the log they were also running. But, the main PG3x screen would show them all offline and none of them were connected to IoX. Couldn't see any status of any node server in admin console. Unfortunately, after a few more resets, I have completely lost the ability to connect via the web interface. 

1 hour ago, sumguy said:

When I was able to get into PG3x, I tried to manually start the node servers. It would tell me they were already running. According to the log they were also running. But, the main PG3x screen would show them all offline and none of them were connected to IoX. Couldn't see any status of any node server in admin console. Unfortunately, after a few more resets, I have completely lost the ability to connect via the web interface. 

How are you trying g to get into PG3x? In your browser you need to enter https://xxx.xxx.x.xxx:3000.

Is that what you are doing?

20 minutes ago, sumguy said:

@DennisC Yes that is what I am doing. I have the URL saved in my browser and have been using it successfully for a while now. I just double checked it and it is properly formatted. 

I reread your posts but couldn't tell, exactly what is the result when you type in the IP address?

Have you checked firewalls and antivirus programs?

1 hour ago, sumguy said:

Unfortunately, after a few more resets, I have completely lost the ability to connect via the web interface. 

What are you resetting? Or do you mean just power cycles? 

Is it possible your Polisy jumped to a different IP address? Do you have IP Address reserved in your router? Sometimes people will bookmark the IP, but not reserve it in the router and it could jump randomly. So just confirm you're using the correct IP. (I like to suggest reviewing from the router side as most routers have a "connected device" list)

I don't have Polisy so can't help with the process from going PG3 to PG3x, but did recently have an issue with all my node servers were "disconnected" today. I had to stop then start them and they worked fine. I also performed a "Restart Polyglot 3x" after 2 reconnected to force the others to restart and they did. 

In the process of migrating node servers each one needs to be restarted (per the wiki - https://wiki.universal-devices.com/index.php?title=Eisy:User_Guide#Migrating_Node_Servers_to_PG3x)

Cautions:

• Node servers currently installed on eisy will be removed (and possibly replaced).
  • Node servers migrated are left in the "stopped" state. You will need to manually start each one after migration.
  • If the Polisy was configured to manage node servers on more than one IoX (say both Polisy IoP and i994) only one IoX will be migrated and you can't choose which one it will migrate.
  • Node servers installed on the Polisy from the local node server store will likely fail to install on the eisy.
  • Node server licenses should be migrated as part of the Portal migration step.

You might be at the point that a support ticket is the best option. Make sure if you are able to get back into PG3x again go to log and set it to debug and then "Restart Polyglot 3x". When you log back in download the log packages and include those with your support ticket.

https://www.universal-devices.com/my-tickets/

I can't reach the web interface of PG3x at all. I've tried safari and chrome and they both can't connect. Chrome says it refused to connect. Safari says can't connect to server. 

I do have a static reservation in my firewall/router for Polisy. I am able to reach the admin console without problem. It's just the PG3x web interface that I can no longer reach. 

@Geddy By resets I meant power cycles/restarts. 

When I was able to connect to the PG3x web interface, I did try to start and stop the individual node servers. Also tried to to reinstall the node servers in current location. But nothing worked.

Just wanted to post this on the forum to see if there was anything I missed before bugging the guys at UD with a ticket.  But I am definitely at the point of submitting a ticket. 

Thanks for all the help everyone

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, sumguy said:

I can't reach the web interface of PG3x at all. I've tried safari and chrome and they both can't connect. Chrome says it refused to connect. Safari says can't connect to server. 

I do have a static reservation in my firewall/router for Polisy. I am able to reach the admin console without problem. 

What exactly is the message in Chrome? Does it say there is no such site, it is unsafe, or?

Do you mean a DHCP IP reservation? That is what you should have. That doesn't do anything regarding firewall settings. You need to make sure firewall settings are not blocking connection. Also check your routers log file for errors or blocks from to that IP address.

I have this sort of thing happen to me every now and then. If I close the browser tab that PG3X is using, then close the browser, and the start PG3X from the IoX finder PG3X opens as it should.

25 minutes ago, DennisC said:

What exactly is the message in Chrome? Does it say there is no such site, it is unsafe, or?

Do you mean a DHCP IP reservation? That is what you should have. That doesn't do anything regarding firewall settings. You need to make sure firewall settings are not blocking connection. Also check your routers log file for errors or blocks from to that IP address.

Chrome says, "This site can't be reached"  "192.168.0.120 refused to connect.

Yes, I have a DHCP IP reservation for the mac address of Polisy. I have Polisy hardwired, not using wifi. I have also checked my firewall logs and Polisy is not being blocked. I have not updated or made changes to my firewall in the last few weeks. The only thing that has changed is the migration I did for PG3x and now PG3x doesn't work. 

@dbuss Thanks for the info. I gave it a shot but didn't work. 

20 hours ago, sumguy said:

It sounds like you are in the same boat as me - I clicked that link a few weeks back and got the same error - then upon updating to 5.6.0, PG3 went from 3.1.20 to 3.1.25 (PG3x) - right now, I am one step ahead of you because I opened a ticket, but my all of my node servers have been offline (except for occupancy via ISY portal) for 3-4 days - there is still currently no solution but UDI is looking at it

I can share with you the steps to get the PG3x web page back, but that's all it does - all of my node servers have been disconnected, won't re-connect and the log files are suspiciously empty since the time that I ran the 5.6.0 update - the following is what I was told to get PG3x running again due to database file permission/ownership issues:

From a ssh session type

[admin@polisy ~]$ tail -f /var/log/messages

If you see something like:

Fix globalsettings failed: SqliteError: attempt to write a readonly database and

Startup error. Shutting down: SqliteError: attempt to write a readonly database

In the file then you can try the next step

From a ssh session do the following two commands:

sudo chown polyglot /var/polyglot/pg3/pg3.db

sudo chmod 644 /var/polyglot/pg3/pg3.db

For me, this got PG3x back up and running, and I could log into the web page, but did not fix the overall problem because none of my local node servers will connect

Please use this information at your own risk and I hope it's OK for me to share all of this...

• Like 1

@JTsao Your commands did get the web interface working again. Thanks for that. I did a "Migrate from PG3 Backup" again. When PG3x came back on line, all node servers showed connected. But it was lying. No data is making it in IoX. If I try to restart any of the node servers, they disconnect, never to work again! 

I did download my logs though and am including them in my ticket to help UD troubleshoot the problem. 

Thanks for your help!

Yes, you both seem to have the same issue.

I just did a migration again on my Polisy and the node servers started without any issues.  So I haven't been able to reproduce it.

It looks like the node servers are simply crashing when they try to start but nothing in the log files provide any information on why they are crashing.

• Like 1

Problem fixed, thanks to Bob (above) for remoting into my PC and fixing - it looked like some file/folder permissions/ownership needed to be changed to make everything work - I admit that I did not watch the whole time that he worked on my Polisy - I have a pretty good idea of some commands that can be typed in to fix the problem, but it's probably better for him or someone from UDI to explain

• 3 months later...
9 minutes ago, rwsani99 said:

Now I've hit this same problem

Seeing that this problem is over 3 months old, and applied to a different IoX and PG3/PG3x version, what is the "same problem" you are experiencing? Seems like there are multiple problems above so your statement isn't very clear to receive help.

If you're unable to log into PG3x perform a full power cycle of the device (not just a reboot button push in Admin Console). 

Have you attempted an update recently that caused this issue for you? 

You're best off starting a new topic and describing your issue exactly so that you can get help for your current issue.

• Like 1
On 8/13/2023 at 2:26 PM, rwsani99 said:

Now I've hit this same problem.  I've filed a support ticket and will wait for UD support.  I just wanted to document for others that this problem is still occurring.  I'm on IoX 5.6.4 and PG3x 3.1.36

Just to clarify, I was experiencing the the same symptoms as described by sumguy in the first post of this thread.  Yesterday (08/14/2023) I received a reply to my support ticket from Michel that PG3x 3.2.0 was being released yesterday and would address the problem(s) I was hitting.  And after upgrading to PG3x 3.2.1 yesterday, all my node servers are currently up and running correctly.

• Like 1