Interfacing Polisy with AXIS IP Cameras

Go to solution Solved by MrBill,

Has anyone any suggestions for how to best interface AXIS cameras with Polisy, either through PG3 or Polisy itself?

I have 6 AXIS cameras and only one of them supports RTSP (Real-Time Streaming Protocol) so Camect is not an option.

I am asking because I see that the ISY-99i could send and receive commands from AXIS IP cameras, but that mechanism is not available on Polisy, as far as I can tell. (See "Interfacing the ISY-99i with Axis IP Cameras").

7 hours ago, phawtrey said:

Interfacing the ISY-99i with Axis IP Cameras

I guess you mean this section of the wiki:

https://wiki.universal-devices.com/index.php?title=ISY-99i_Series_INSTEON:Networking:Network_Resources:Axis_IP_Camera

Looks like all you need is network module. As long as you have an active UD Portal subscription tied to the Polisy you do have network abilities. It should be able to work just like the "ancient" ISY99i. 

At least from what I see it should work the same. Having never used such a connection can't help sort it out, but if you have in the past give it a go again. 

I currently control Foscam and Amcrest cameras from  a Polisy and an eisy at two different locations. I am sending commands to control start/stop recordings and to move ca.era position via network resources.

I haven't tried sending an image back.

Thank you Geddy and DennisC. I will try the ancient ISY99i approach and see how far I get with Polisy. 

Geddy, that link you included was the section of the wiki I was referring to. The paper confused me because it keeps referring to the "Alix Event Server Setup" - and I thought that setup was part of the "ancient one".

DennisC, do you have motion sensors that direct your cameras, through your UD control, to change positions?

4 minutes ago, phawtrey said:

DennisC, do you have motion sensors that direct your cameras, through your UD control, to change positions?

I use one motion sensor outdoors as an alert of someone coming down my driveway. It is tied into my Elk alarm and when activated turns on an Elk output.

Based on the output turning on, ISY sends out network resources to position the cameras.

I tried linking an AXIS P1447-LE camera’s motion event to a program running in Polisy.

I did this by adding the following URL to a recipient, called  Polisy, in the AXIS camera settings under Events.

https://172.16.1.106:8443/rest/programs/<MotionDriveCam>/<runThen>

Where MotionDriveCam is the name of the Polisy program I want to run.

When I Test this Recipient from the AXIS camera, I get this error: 

Test: Something went wrong

500 Empty reply from server

When I simply run the URL from a browser - to see what happens in Polisy,  I get this error message :

This XML file does not appear to have any style information associated with it. The document tree is shown below.

<RestResponse succeeded="false">

<status>404</status>

</RestResponse>

I added the camera to Polisy Network Resources and it looks like this:

GET / HTTP/1.1

Host: 172.16.1.37:80

User-Agent: Mozilla/4.0

Connection: Close

Content-Type: application/x-www-form-urlencoded

Content-Length: 0

I seem to be missing something so any direction will be very much appreciated.

• Solution
7 minutes ago, phawtrey said:

I tried linking an AXIS P1447-LE camera’s motion event to a program running in Polisy.

I did this by adding the following URL to a recipient, called  Polisy, in the AXIS camera settings under Events.

https://172.16.1.106:8443/rest/programs/<MotionDriveCam>/<runThen>

Where MotionDriveCam is the name of the Polisy program I want to run.

When I Test this Recipient from the AXIS camera, I get this error: 

Test: Something went wrong

500 Empty reply from server

When I simply run the URL from a browser - to see what happens in Polisy,  I get this error message :

This XML file does not appear to have any style information associated with it. The document tree is shown below.

<RestResponse succeeded="false">

<status>404</status>

</RestResponse>

I added the camera to Polisy Network Resources and it looks like this:

GET / HTTP/1.1

Host: 172.16.1.37:80

User-Agent: Mozilla/4.0

Connection: Close

Content-Type: application/x-www-form-urlencoded

Content-Length: 0

I seem to be missing something so any direction will be very much appreciated.

You need to use the program ID number not a name.  and un-brackedted RunThen as in this example:

/rest/programs/0032/runThen

• Thanks 1

If @MrBill's comment doesn't help, we will need more information. I have never used Axis cameras, so I don't know what the settings for Event can do. Are you sure you have it set up correctly? Do you have a manual?

What does the program you are trying to run do?

Why are you trying to add your camera to a network resource?

What exactly are you trying to accomplish?

IF you don't want to post details, you can PM them to me. Not sure I can help, but willing to try when I have some spare time.

I'll add that one reason program name can't work is that it's not unique.  You can have 11 program folders that all have a program named MotionDriveCam.  To simplest method to find the program number is to use the Program Summary tab, without looking it's the last column on the right end of the table.  The program ID number will persist thru program edits.

my example above is lifted from this wiki section, I should have linked the documentation above.

• Like 1

Thank you both for the feedback. I'll test your idea for the program link, MrBill. 

DennisC - I would like to use the motion sensor in the AXIS camera to trigger programs in Polisy. If I can get that simple step to work, then I will try sending camera footage automatically to my neighbors. We have a problem with people trying to break into cars at night during the summer. That, plus finding an outdoor motion sensor capable of handling temperatures from -14 F to 100F here in New England is proving difficult since Elk stopped selling theirs.

Again, I very much appreciate your suggestions.