Moving back from Indigo

Dr. Q
Go to solution Solved by MrBill,

I moved from ISY 994 to Indigo a few years ago, and now I’m looking to move back. I have a eisy on the network and operating. Since I already have a USB PLM linked to everything and an Aeotec G5 zwave stick also linked, can I just plug them in and pick up from there without running around resetting all my devices?

For the PLM, you would need to do a restore modem.  Here is what UD says about ZWave:

Z-Wave

Our Original Z-Wave implementation is the certified version of Z-Wave on the ISY-994. This code was ported to Eisy / Polisy, but is being deprecated in favor of our new more functional implementation called ZMatter Z-Wave.

The original implementation on Eisy / Polisy can use generic Z-Wave controllers such as the Zooz stick, or, it can use the ZMatter Z-Wave controller (either board or USB dongle).

The ZMatter Z-Wave implementation can only use the ZMatter Z-Wave controller (either board or USB dongle).

However, without a proper backup (possibly a migration backup) this will not restore any programs you might require.

• Solution
19 hours ago, Dr. Q said:

Since I already have a USB PLM linked to everything

a PLM connected to Indigo, correct? 

In that case the ISY wouldn't have the links table, and i don't know that it can be read from a PLM to a new controller.  I think Restore Modem in that case would clear the PLM because that's writing new links to the PLM, and there are none in the ISY.

@DennisC read your comments differently than I did, I'm not sure what his thought was...

8 minutes ago, MrBill said:

@DennisC read your comments differently than I did, I'm not sure what his thought was...

I wasn't necessarily commenting about Indigo.

19 hours ago, Dr. Q said:

Since I already have a USB PLM linked to everything and an Aeotec G5 zwave stick also linked, can I just plug them in and pick up from there without running around resetting all my devices?

I was only commenting on the above statement. While I agree, the OP might have been talking about a PLM linked to Indigo, I thought it was also possible he was speaking about a previous PLM from his ISY,  that wasn't completely clear to me. So I based my comment only on the above statement.

Just now, DennisC said:

I wasn't necessarily commenting about Indigo.

I was only commenting on the above statement. While I agree, the OP might have been talking about a PLM linked to Indigo, I thought it was also possible he was speaking about a previous PLM from his ISY,  that wasn't completely clear to me. So I based my comment only on the above statement.

I figured we were reading it differently but thought i should contrast in case the PLM is indigo based.. because he may loose his links if he restores PLM in this case.  May be recoverable from indigo, but i know nothing about Indigo other than it's Mac OS only..

• Like 1
20 hours ago, Dr. Q said:

I moved from ISY 994 to Indigo a few years ago, and now I’m looking to move back. I have a eisy on the network and operating. Since I already have a USB PLM linked to everything and an Aeotec G5 zwave stick also linked, can I just plug them in and pick up from there without running around resetting all my devices?

Best practice would be to reset everything and start fresh since you're moving from a different system

Edited by lilyoyo1
  • Like 2

Mr. Bill had it right, I thought there might be a way to transfer the PLM memory to the eisy but I guess not. Ugh! In which case I might as well go ahead and get the Zwave-Matter dongle too, even though Matter doesn’t matter to me (heh). My wife will be out of town next weekend, might be a good time to make the switch.

In the meantime, I‘ve been playing around with the eisy, once I figured out to turn the VPN off on the Ubiquiti network. I have some Twinkly lights, so I installed the NS and got it working, even with the gen 1 lights. Nice.

Ultimately, I think it will be worth the trouble to start over, as lilyoyo says. My problem with Indigo has always been the lack of an equivalent version of ISY scenes. Also, the Trigger/Schedule-Conditional-Action cadence used in Indigo makes things that are simple to do in ISY needlessly complicated and repetitive. For example, to turn a light on or off in ISY requires one If-Then-Else cadence; Indigo requires two cadences, one for on and one for off.

I’ve been keeping an eye on UD since I moved on, and have seen a lot of advancements. I need to control Hue lights with Insteon dimmers, use UniFi Protect cameras for motion sensors, bring some of it into HomeKit and integrate all that with zwave sensors. It looks like eisy in combination with Home Assistant will get me there. Good thing I enjoy screwing around with this stuff 🤪

‘Thanks for the info and listening to my rant.

Edited by Dr. Q

I walked away from Indigo three years ago and started over with a 994. Now running on the EISY. The UD hardware and software is rock solid.

I miss two things from Indigo, though. The admin console equivalent was a bit easier to use and navigate and the ability to create web portals with device control and status was amazing. There were some issues with compatibility with new MacOS releases at the time which was annoying.

During the transition, I bought a new PLM and set up everything in parallel with Indigo before shutting it down. Also tried using the ISY bridge software to sync status to indigo for a while after removing the PLM from indigo, but decided that was not responsive or reliable enough to continue. I ended up using Hubitat for the zwave stuff, but once the zwave/matter usb device is in stock again, I plan to get one of those for the EISY.

Good luck with the transition!

Andy

Edited by Andy P
1 hour ago, upstatemike said:

Years ago when I moved to ISY from another system I recall it using existing links in the first few devices I added to identify and add those additional linked devices. Does that no longer work? I think I got at least half of my devices moved that way.

That would work for devices but not the plm itself. The only issue with that is there could be half links left over in devices which will carry over as well resulting in more work to fix things than simply coming in with a clean slate.

While possible, the forum is also filled with horror stories from others who attempted this method

On 6/12/2023 at 8:07 AM, Andy P said:

I walked away from Indigo three years ago and started over with a 994. Now running on the EISY. The UD hardware and software is rock solid.

I miss two things from Indigo, though. The admin console equivalent was a bit easier to use and navigate and the ability to create web portals with device control and status was amazing. There were some issues with compatibility with new MacOS releases at the time which was annoying.

During the transition, I bought a new PLM and set up everything in parallel with Indigo before shutting it down. Also tried using the ISY bridge software to sync status to indigo for a while after removing the PLM from indigo, but decided that was not responsive or reliable enough to continue. I ended up using Hubitat for the zwave stuff, but once the zwave/matter usb device is in stock again, I plan to get one of those for the EISY.

Good luck with the transition!

Andy

Glad to hear from another Indigo user. I also like the server/client approach to administration and would like to see UD ditch Java and go with a web based method, but it is what it is. I picked up a couple of USB PLMs just before Smarthome shut down, so I’ll start with a fresh one. I’m trying to find a way to print a list of all my devices from Indigo so I don’t forget any, and go around the house and re-link it all. The FanLincs are going to be a pain, but worth it.

Thanks for the good wishes.