Does this thing work?

johnnyt

Does this NS work? I purchased free trial, installed it, and started it. It said it started successfully but it didn't really. I tried to look at the NS logs but it said 'file not found'.

Here's what PG3 had to say about it in its log:

7/25/2023, 16:27:55 [pg3] info: startNs:: ST-Sonos
7/25/2023, 16:27:55 [pg3] info: startNs:: ST-Sonos is valid
7/25/2023, 16:27:55 [pg3] debug: checkLicense:: ST-Sonos Getting node server store entry
7/25/2023, 16:27:55 [pg3] debug: checkLicense:: ST-Sonos Getting node server purchase record
7/25/2023, 16:27:55 [pg3] debug: Getting status for ST-Sonos 00:0d:b9:53:c7:dc 82a81345-75e8-48c1-87fc-60e4cfd46860
7/25/2023, 16:27:57 [pg3] info: checkLicense:: ST-Sonos Valid subscription license found. Expires: 2023-07-31T18:20:13.000Z
7/25/2023, 16:27:57 [pg3] info: startNs:: ST-Sonos finished update check
7/25/2023, 16:27:57 [pg3] info: [ST-Sonos(10)] :: Starting NodeServer - Version 1.0.8
7/25/2023, 16:27:57 [pg3] info: startNs:: ST-Sonos updating database (enabled, timestarted)
7/25/2023, 16:27:57 [pg3] debug: [MESSAGE_PUBLISHED] Client pg3_client has published message on udi/pg3/frontend/clients/aef56f72-00cc-48c3-a122-fcdd3e3ac5fd to broker pg3_broker
7/25/2023, 16:27:57 [pg3] debug: [MESSAGE_PUBLISHED] Client pg3_client has published message on udi/pg3/frontend/clients/aef56f72-00cc-48c3-a122-fcdd3e3ac5fd to broker pg3_broker
7/25/2023, 16:27:58 [pg3] error: [ST-Sonos(10)] :: STDERR: node:internal/modules/cjs/loader:1042
  throw err;
  ^
Error: Cannot find module '/var/polyglot/pg3/ns/000db953c7dc_10/st-sonos.js'
    at Module._resolveFilename (node:internal/modules/cjs/loader:1039:15)
    at Module._load (node:internal/modules/cjs/loader:885:27)
    at Function.executeUserEntryPoint [as runMain] (node:internal/modules/run_main:81:12)
    at node:internal/main/run_main_module:23:47 {
  code: 'MODULE_NOT_FOUND',
  requireStack: []
}
Node.js v18.13.0
7/25/2023, 16:27:58 [pg3] info: [ST-Sonos(10)] :: Exit cause code: 1 - signal: null
7/25/2023, 16:27:58 [pg3] debug: [MESSAGE_PUBLISHED] Client pg3_client has published message on udi/pg3/frontend/clients/aef56f72-00cc-48c3-a122-fcdd3e3ac5fd to broker pg3_broker
7/25/2023, 16:27:58 [pg3] info: startNs:: ST-Sonos starting polls
7/25/2023, 16:27:58 [pg3] info: Starting ST-Sonos Expire Check timer
7/25/2023, 16:27:58 [pg3] info: Checking if ST-Sonos has expired
7/25/2023, 16:27:58 [pg3] info: Starting ST-Sonos Info timer 0
7/25/2023, 16:27:58 [pg3] info: Starting ST-Sonos Version Check timer
7/25/2023, 16:27:58 [pg3] debug: MQTT Results: [frontend/ns/admin] :: {"startNs":{"success":true}}
7/25/2023, 16:27:58 [pg3] debug: [MESSAGE_PUBLISHED] Client pg3_client has published message on udi/pg3/frontend/clients/aef56f72-00cc-48c3-a122-fcdd3e3ac5fd to broker pg3_broker
7/25/2023, 16:28:02 [pg3] debug: Sending logfile to frontend :: /var/polyglot/pg3/ns/000db953c7dc_10/logs/debug.log

am running PG3 3.1.21 and IoX 5.6.2 on Polisy

Edited by johnnyt
updated version info

It's not the node server, but rather that the node server didn't get fully installed.  Not that the difference means much to you, since the result is that it's not working.

We've had other similar reports where a node server doesn't install properly using PG3.  Typically what happens is that one or two of the files needed by the node server simply don't get installed and repeated attempts to installed them continue to fail. 

There has been a lot of investigation but it isn't possible to reproduce this on-demand and no root cause has been found. The only current solution is to migrate to PG3x as we have never had this issue with PG3x.   PG3 development is currently on hold and it's has not been determined if any further development will take place on PG3.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, bpwwer said:

The only current solution is to migrate to PG3x as we have never had this issue with PG3x.   PG3 development is currently on hold and it's has not been determined if any further development will take place on PG3.

ok, can I un-purchase the NS trial until I've had a chance to migrate to PG3x? I'm holding off on doing that move for now for a few reasons (stability, lack of automated PG3x restore on eisy from Polisy, which is my backup hardware, etc.) I'm sure I'll do it at some point; just not in the next 6 days I have left in the trial version.

I do like the features it offers, and only need them to work with the legacy Sonos S1 app so hopefully don't need much, if any, support going forward (which seems to be a little on the light side.) But given this NS is not free (and actually comparatively expensive), plus some recent bugs that, as of right now, may not get fixed (but might not be a problem for me) it's going to be important to try before I buy.

That's something you'd have to submit a ticket for and see if someone at UDI is willing to do that for you.  Node server authors don't have any control over the licensing beside specifying which types and costs.

22 hours ago, johnnyt said:

ok, can I un-purchase the NS trial until I've had a chance to migrate to PG3x? I'm holding off on doing that move for now for a few reasons (stability, lack of automated PG3x restore on eisy from Polisy, which is my backup hardware, etc.) I'm sure I'll do it at some point; just not in the next 6 days I have left in the trial version.

I do like the features it offers, and only need them to work with the legacy Sonos S1 app so hopefully don't need much, if any, support going forward (which seems to be a little on the light side.) But given this NS is not free (and actually comparatively expensive), plus some recent bugs that, as of right now, may not get fixed (but might not be a problem for me) it's going to be important to try before I buy.

This nodeserver works great for me especially at it's price point. The only thing missing is being able to turn the subwoofers off/on but hopefully one day @bpwwercould look at that. 

Some of the things that I'm able to do with it is auto volume control. Instead of needing to adjust the volume manually, my volume will automatically lower the later it gets. If the music is on with the TV, the music will automatically turn down as well. 

Besides turning off my music when leaving, going to bed, etc; I'm also able to select my playlist based on different conditions without opening up the app. It also works with their newest speakers if you were to ever upgrade to the era line. 

• Thanks 1
3 hours ago, lilyoyo1 said:

This nodeserver works great for me especially at it's price point. The only thing missing is being able to turn the subwoofers off/on but hopefully one day @bpwwercould look at that. 

Some of the things that I'm able to do with it is auto volume control. Instead of needing to adjust the volume manually, my volume will automatically lower the later it gets. If the music is on with the TV, the music will automatically turn down as well. 

Besides turning off my music when leaving, going to bed, etc; I'm also able to select my playlist based on different conditions without opening up the app. It also works with their newest speakers if you were to ever upgrade to the era line. 

Thanks for chiming in.

Can I use this NS to play a short message I recorded?

Some of the features I noticed were:

• say
  • sayall
  • saypreset

Do you use any of these? What do they do?

By the way, @bpwwer, may I suggest the list of features you provided that I linked to above be added to github readme page so it's there when one clicks "More Info" from Nodeserver store.

Edited by johnnyt
17 hours ago, johnnyt said:

Some of the features I noticed were:

• say
  • sayall
  • saypreset

Do you use any of these? What do they do?

I use the "say" function, which generates a predetermined TTS message to play on the selected speakers.  Example: when someone approaches the front door, the motion sensor in my Ring doorbell activates, which activates an ISY program that plays a TTS announcement, such as, "Someone is at the front door", on a selected device.  Here's what the "then" stanza of a program looks like:

Then
        Set 'Devices / dirPolyglot / ST-Sonos / ST-Sonos / Sonos Living Room' Say Someone is at the front door

Else
   - No Actions - (To add one, press 'Action')

The "sayall" function takes longer to actuate, as it creates a Sonos group out of all your speakers before it plays the TTS announcement.  It used to struggle a bit returning your Sonos back to the original groupings, but I haven't used the feature in a while.

I don't use the MP3 clip function, so I don't know how that works.

• Thanks 1