Certain devices giving message "Sorry, i couldn't reach universal devices"

johnstonf

7 hours ago, Michel Kohanim said:

@johnstonf,

So, those correspond to your commands to GH?

With kind regards,
Michel

No, that has nothing to do with GH.

My system is very busy, so i t's impossible to find a short period wihout any messages!

I have a LOT of devices, Insteon, Zwave, interface to BrulTech, etc...

(and for the mostpart, working solid!... (Thanks to you!!!  (OK and @LarryLix, and a few others LoL)

1 hour ago, johnstonf said:

No, that has nothing to do with GH.

My system is very busy, so i t's impossible to find a short period wihout any messages!

I have a LOT of devices, Insteon, Zwave, interface to BrulTech, etc...

(and for the mostpart, working solid!... (Thanks to you!!!  (OK and @LarryLix, and a few others LoL)

Since I am getting partially blamed for something :) I may as well see if I can partially help too. :)

Reading the thread, it sounds like there may be a combination of problems. I may be way out in Fred's left field here :) but...

It sounds like GH may be using it's AI to make a bad guess on a device name or connection name but when it attempts to control that device ISY Portal reports back a failure but GH's error reporting is incorrectly worded and reports a "Can't Reach...", confusing the user, making him/her to think the connection is bad instead of the device is not found.
This is based on other devices/programs working, and consistently not working with a particular program only.

Just a theory. I would try renaming the psuedo device in ISY Portal to something completely unique, deleting it for the device list, and then re-discovering it again.

I have a few GHs MIA in a box somewhere as they overstepped their bounds many times until I switched to only Alexa speakers, which didn't make such bold assumptions, calling it "AI". As an example, I found when I controlled a device with "red" in it's name GH would attempt to turn on 8 different devices that also had "red" in their names. It got real annoying finding lighting devices all over the house lit up red.

Other times another device, like "blue bed lights" would get misconstrued and it would only hear "bed lights" attempting to turn on 8 different colour of bed lights at the same time. My software NRbridge would log eight different commands coming in for red, blue, yellow, orange, green, lime, purple, violet, mauve, etc. in rapid sequence, because they all contained the phrase "bed lights"

Edited by larryllix

Hi Larry,  

I wasn't trying to drag you into this... only thanks for all your past help!

(but, now that you're dragged in, thanks, LoL...)

I did your suggestion, and upon deleting it, a request to google then responded "Sorry, i don't understand" (or the likes).  So I was excited that this might work!

But, after adding it back in with new alias, it gives the original message again.

So, it still 'seems' to be caught on the device ID, not naming issue.

Fred

Edited by johnstonf
  • Sad 1

@johnstonf If you've got a support ticket going with UDI please handle all support for this issue only through the support ticket process.

You can post a conclusion here once they get you resolved through the support ticket process. Not fair to have @Michel Kohanim and/or @bmercier trying to resolve both here and through the support ticket. The ticket process helps UDI keep up with issues and resolutions internally. 

How about we leave this open instead (cut the ticket bullshit... it's just a pile more work and cycles) so everyone can learn and participate.  All the needed info is here in this topic...  I don't have anything to hide... (does UDI??)

The process is as important as the solution, no?

3 minutes ago, johnstonf said:

The process is as important as the solution, no?

No need to get hostile, and nobody suggested this would be closed.  You're missing the point. UDI handles support through their support ticket process. Of which you had apparently already started one. @Michel Kohanim has stated multiple times (and again recently) that they do not have the time to read (and reply to) the many posts of the forums. Thus, I suggested you go back to handling your issue through the already started support ticket.

Ultimately it comes down to the fact that there are probably many more tools UDI has at their disposal through the proper support process rather than posts on a user-to-user support forum. 

And it would be wise to know that I'm simply a volunteer here and a user, just like you. So please refrain from getting short when it's suggested that you follow the typical suggested route for assistance that UDI needs to be more involved with. 

Enjoy your day!

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Geddy said:

No need to get hostile, and nobody suggested this would be closed.  You're missing the point. UDI handles support through their support ticket process. Of which you had apparently already started one. @Michel Kohanim has stated multiple times (and again recently) that they do not have the time to read (and reply to) the many posts of the forums. Thus, I suggested you go back to handling your issue through the already started support ticket.

Ultimately it comes down to the fact that there are probably many more tools UDI has at their disposal through the proper support process rather than posts on a user-to-user support forum. 

And it would be wise to know that I'm simply a volunteer here and a user, just like you. So please refrain from getting short when it's suggested that you follow the typical suggested route for assistance that UDI needs to be more involved with. 

Enjoy your day!

Sorry if I seemed hostile... frustrated yes, certainly not hostile... everyone's so great and helpful.  I just don't have the cycles to keep spinning this... it's just a few devices, and I was hoping it wouldn't be so difficult.  If any bright lights come on, or some more quick tests, fire away!

@johnstonf I know you did not like my answer, but I would still recommend to give it a try.

For case 1: Test from the GH app directly (Don't talk, use the buttons in the app).

For case 2: Delete the device from GH app, then ask GH: Hey Google, sync my devices. If the device reappears, it is indeed in Portal.

For case 3: Check your mapping in portal. Make sure the ISY address exactly matches the address you see in the admin console.

For case 4: Make sure you can control the device from the admin console.

• 1 month later...
On 11/5/2023 at 7:48 PM, bmercier said:

@johnstonf I know you did not like my answer, but I would still recommend to give it a try.

For case 1: Test from the GH app directly (Don't talk, use the buttons in the app).

For case 2: Delete the device from GH app, then ask GH: Hey Google, sync my devices. If the device reappears, it is indeed in Portal.

For case 3: Check your mapping in portal. Make sure the ISY address exactly matches the address you see in the admin console.

For case 4: Make sure you can control the device from the admin console.

Finally got a few minutes to try these...

Case#1 The devices don't show in the GH app

Case#2 'sync devices' does not recover the devices

Case#3 The devices are matched properly at my.isy.io

Case#4 The devices work perfectly from the admin console and from the Android app