EISY and Nodelink...can't get it talking

ulrick65

I upgraded to EISY from ISY994IR and everything went fine...except my Venstar Thermostat.

I tried resetting up Nodelink, but it will not connect to the ISY...it says connection refused.  Double and triple checked login credentials (plus did not change them and it worked before).

I am wondering now if perhaps Nodelink does not work on EISY.  Can someone confirm whether it does or does not please?

Thanks.

Thanks, everyone.  I appreciate the confirmation.  I have it working on PG3X now.

It took me a bit, as once I deleted node-link all my programs that referenced it changed to cryptic human language about what was there before!  😀

The thing about setting this stuff up years ago and it just works year after year is that my memory isn't as good as it was and I have to dig into my cranial archives to remember what I did!  

Appreciate the info!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/7/2023 at 7:57 PM, ulrick65 said:

The thing about setting this stuff up years ago and it just works year after year is that my memory isn't as good as it was and I have to dig into my cranial archives to remember what I did!  

I had venlink that led to nodelink for many years at my previous house. I set everything up, and it just worked including integrated notifications through pushover. And to your point, I kind of forgot how I did it. Almost forgot the logins to the rpi.

It's hard to see that these programs appear to be fading away. @io_guy has provided this community much and is very responsive and his software did my property a lot of good for a long time.

Now I'm starting over at a new house with an eisy. I'm looking at an ecobee, but to @larryllix's comment, I'm not sure what functions I need to automate it with the eisy. The ecobee is very capable on its own. I'll put it and a remote temp sensor in and see where that gets me.

Edited by paulbates
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, paulbates said:

I had venlink that led to nodelink for many years at my previous house. I set everything up, and it just worked including integrated notifications through pushover. And to your point, I kind of forgot how I did it. Almost forgot the logins to the rpi.

It's hard to see that these programs appear to be fading away. @io_guy has provided this community much and is very responsive and his software did my property a lot of good for a long time.

Now I'm starting over at a new house with an eisy. I'm looking at an ecobee, but to @larryllix's comment, I'm not sure what functions I need to automate it with the eisy. The ecobee is very capable on its own. I'll put it and a remote temp sensor in and see where that gets me.

After playing with three temperature sensors for a few years I finally stopped using them. There are too many logical problems with that idea. Now I just use them to monitor what is happening between rooms.

Here is one problem. Let's say you want to control the temperature of your bedroom at nights and you like it cool for sleeping. Now you have a variety of season, where you are and it is spring or fall and your house temperature won't fall back quickly enough in the evenings. So, although the bedroom sensor is the only active one the room is still hot and you open the window to accelerate the cooling process and go to sleep. Middle of the night and finally a slight breeze cools off your bedroom. The ecobee remote sensor sees it, running your furnace to maintain the desired setpoint. With the window open and poor air supply to that remote bedroom the furnace cannot keep up. Now you wake up in the morning to a cold room and when you get out of bed and go to the main rooms of the house they are about 80-85F.

With the well insulated homes these days the biggest problem for heating is the setback speed . There is not much you can do about it and no thermostat ever takes that into consideration using predictive logic. That is what I had my ISY do. Dependent on outside temperatures, I would set my ecobee back earlier or later so that my bedroom temperature would be some sort of compromise between  watching late night TV wrapped in heated blankets, and being comfortable in a cool bed. After many different styles of predictive setback and other HVAC system ideas I finally just stopped using remote sensors. I found all the new ideas ecobee+ provides, are mostly useless in a modern home, that is too slow to respond.

However, I do enable the ecobee+ feature in order to get temperature compensation due to humidity levels. The rest is disabled. Making me uncomfortable just to save a few pennies is not on my sacrifice list.

• Like 2

Yeh I'm not going for precise room to room control. As you'd expect, the second floor is off a few degrees from the first; direction depending on the season. With the venstar colortouch, 'averaging' could be selected between the stat and the remote. That helped a lot without doing zone surgery to an existing hvac system, other than a few one time adjustments to the registers and paddles in the ducts. This cut down on the "why is it hotter/colder up hear" comments.

Edited by paulbates

Yeh I'm not going for precise room to room control. As you'd expect, the second floor is off a few degrees from the first; direction depending on the season. With the venstar colortouch, 'averaging' could be selected between the stat and the remote. That helped a lot without doing zone surgery to an existing hvac system, other than a few one time adjustments to the registers and paddles in the ducts. This cut down on the "why is it hotter/colder up hear" comments.
ecobee stats do averaging also. Just include both sensors in the enables for that schedule segment (climate)

However IRC 'follow me' disables averaging by only following the last seen motion sensor.

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

13 hours ago, paulbates said:

ecobee stats have a nice fan cycler that can be switched on or off for any schedule cycle. You can set the timer for 0-60 minutes with 5 minute "clicks". However the times are not exact and only approximate, but it works well. When you HVAC calls for energy it only kicks in after x minutes and then cycles until the next cycle run-time, like a good fan cycler should. When I got the ecobee stats  I wiped out about 100 ISY program that were not needed anymore.

I was controlling the vacation setting on the ecobee from logic in the ISY but eventually realise the ecobee was easier to set vacation schedules, years ahead (multiple from-to periods) , and more reliable, so I reversed the master slave relationship.

Multiple ecobee stats can also sync up for many optional enabled features, like schedules, time clock, vacation schedules, etc.. and easy to set up on a Windows machine or android phone. I have never used  an iPhone.

ecobee also provides cloud  monitoring for schedule graphics, temperature charts and cycle chartiing.

Another great feature is ecobee support runs a Whatsapp support account. When I have a question I can usually get help within a few minutes.

• Like 1

On 10/7/2023 at 5:23 PM, bgrubb1 said:

Pretty sure Nodelink has never worked with Polisy or Eisy (TCP/IP stack compatibility issue)

I have Venstar and it works great under PG3X on the Eisy

On 10/7/2023 at 6:20 PM, macjeff said:

I am on Poilisy and it stopped working a long time ago.

With that said, every nodeserver I ran on there now works with Pg3x.

So you should be able to just use a nodeserver and dump nodelink.

I'm on Polisy and Nodelink is working.  I am running DSC, CAI webcontrol, and ISY data on it.

Edited by apostolakisl
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I am running NodeLink on a Debian VM and have CAI WebControl, Brultech GreenEye Monitor, and the ISY Data Logger configured with my EISY/IoX on 5.7.0 with no issues.

I am looking to get the Brultech GreenEye Monitors in to a PG3x Node, anyone know someone with the skills?

• Like 1