Network/server error logging into MyQ service

Xathros
Go to solution Solved by Goose66,

On 10/23/2023 at 1:19 PM, dbwarner5 said:

429 error again. Not sure how long it's been offline as I am not home to use it and guess it has been trying hard to reconnect. Will stop it for the rest of the day and try to restart it tonight.

Got a chance to day to restart it after >2 days of it being stopped.. No luck. Back to the 401 error. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, dbwarner5 said:

Got a chance to day to restart it after >2 days of it being stopped.. No luck. Back to the 401 error. 

Mine has been working solid since Oct 13th. I have had to restart EISY and PG3X a few times for updates and what not but MyQ is starting and connecting normally(and without waiting an hour or day). 

• Like 1

I have been getting the 429 error even stopping it for a day or 2. 

I don't understand at that point where it has too many login attempts.  I am thinking more of putting zwave dry contacts on the openers with momentary setup if the node can't work with their server anymore.

5 hours ago, captainc said:

I don't understand at that point where it has too many login attempts.

Apparently Chamberlain/MyQ consider all the automated attempts collectively to be too many. It isn't your activity, it's all the people trying to get in, whether through the PGx node server, Home Assistant MyQ integration, or any number of other automated logins. And it seems they are now also starting to consider any automated login outside of their MyQ app to be unauthorized, so by definition even one automated attempt is too many.

MyQ claims it is a security issue but speculation is that they do not want to have to support anything but their app.

34 minutes ago, landolfi said:

MyQ claims it is a security issue but speculation is that they do not want to have to support anything but their app.

We haven't heard back from Chamberlain on the use of the public (or semi-private) API, but it may be a cost associated with using it. So Chamberlain may be shutting out unauthorized users in order to drive HA integrators to use the (perhaps pay-to-play) public API.

Edited by Goose66
  • Like 1

Just to be clear, I don't think it's necessarily "evil." Since they are, primarily, a hardware manufacturer, I'm sure they ultimately want to sell as much hardware as possible. Rather than trying to force people into their ecosystem and dominate the HA market (as many other OEMs seem to want to do), however, I think there need to put guard rails (and potentially fees) on access to their API may be more of a way to reduce their own fixed costs.

• Like 1

I think I'm giving up on this. I bought the 819LM homekit enabled gateway (discontinued product) and linked it to homekit (I was also running homebridge to get MyQ in Apple Home).  Of course that bridge doesn't enable gates as homekit accessories (why is beyond me).  I then bought a Meross smart garage opener that is homekit enabled to add the gate ( I may just dump the myq gateway altogether in get a meross device for the 2 garage doors) they are super simple to wire in, but I did have to put an additional solar panel and batter on the gate to run the meross device.

I then just use homeassistant to make an ISY variable as a binary switch to homekit and trigger an automation in homekit which runs on the hubs.

Given all the issues, maybe there is an opportunity to support Meross.  Homebridge and Homeassistant have plug-ins for Meross devices and on homeassistant there is a meross-lan that is smart enough to use local or cloud access depending on what is available so I assume there is an API.  Not sure how the other MyQ users are feeling but being hostage to not restarting polyglot or updating ISY or on the rare occasion my eisy just reboots is a bridge too far in terms of reliability.  

I do appreciate all the work here to keep trying to support and if they did just enable a pay service (reasonable) I would consider but I'm kind of thinking only 1 of my fingers has something to say to MyQ right now ... lol.

Edited by bigDvette
  • Like 1
4 hours ago, MBell said:

You could try a local control. Although you would need one for each control.

https://paulwieland.github.io/ratgdo/

I have local control.  Just not through ISY.

i flip a switch in in ISY as a variable, home assistant picks it up and publishes it to HomeKit as a sensor and I close all the doors. All on the network.  

i use HomeKit for my ui and have everything there for manual control and use ISY for automation and obviously most of the devices.

I like the ratgdo device. It has everything I am currently looking for in HA integration devices: Wi-Fi, MQTT, and defined local API. I would be all over this IF I STILL HAD Chamberlain door openers. Unfortunately, my new townhome (not so "new" now, I guess) had Genie openers, and I bought the Chamberlain Smart Garage Control because I had the MyQ Node Server and IoX programs and Alexa routines that went with it. If there were a Genie version of the ratgdo, that would be cool. $30 per door would be a little tough to swallow after already paying $75 for my Chamberlain Smart Garage Control and a second door position sensor, but ultimately local control is the goal.

A node server for the ratgdo would be a no brainer - you could use Network Resources or the free MQTT node server to get basic  functionality, or we could copy the Tasmota node server with the MyQ profile to get a real garage door opener (possibly with independent light control) node server.

I still have some hopes we can get in with the Chamberlain public API - it's better than nothing - but ultimately I think local is always the better choice when you have the option. I mean, that's why we all use the Polisy/eISY to begin with, right?

Edited by Goose66
  • Like 1

image.thumb.png.21affd10fd1d4083452c3497b9f92ddf.png

@Goose66 according to above the ratgdo are good with Genie.

I am with your thought train here that you are spending a lot of time with MyQ trying to keep up with the arms race they are perpetrating.  If "we" all went to the above method using the node servers already written your upkeep might go down quite a bit.  I am offering my services, both testing on my unit & programming to help (if wanted or helpful).

I am going to order one of the ratgo's and start playing.  In the mean time, thanks again for all your efforts keeping this node server up and going.

13 minutes ago, sjenkins said:

I am with your thought train here that you are spending a lot of time with MyQ trying to keep up with the arms race they are perpetrating.  If "we" all went to the above method using the node servers already written your upkeep might go down quite a bit.  I am offering my services, both testing on my unit & programming to help (if wanted or helpful).

I am going to order one of the ratgo's and start playing.  In the mean time, thanks again for all your efforts keeping this node server up and going.

Does that give you door status and control or just control?

Just now, jkosharek said:

Does that give you door status and control or just control?

it looks like both.

the status goes through MQTT for full information or can use a couple contacts for open & obstructed.

I have used the MQTT node server & this could be set to use it (or HA, or node red).  My plan is to use the UD MQTT node server.  I may do a pull request and add another device to that node server with all the messaging for this ; I have added devices in that past to it & @xKing has been really good verifying and accepting them.

obviously if @Goose66 has a better approach, collaboration is always a good path.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, jkosharek said:

I would be fine to pay to play, I would also be just as happy buying a I/O Module - Control & Status Kit but don't know that I can with the Liftmaster 8500w wiring direct. I suppose I could hard wire the I/O Link to a wireless remote. Has anyone done this?

I took an extra three button garage door opener remote and soldered wires to each switch and the common and have my ELK outputs via the ISY trigger the buttons. The remote is mounted in my garage. Works reasonably well but needs appropriate timing / delays when opening / closing multiple doors. 

Still have it as back up to the MyQ app which I prefer because I have two pole barn doors that I cannot do the above to and have only fair ISY communications with so an I/O module which could do the same, would only work sporadically. 

Currently I had to set up a trigger variable such that if the MyQ service is TRUE, then the ISY will use the system, and if false, it will use the Elk / remote system above. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, sjenkins said:

It appears to only work with one model Genie (H8000D), which is not what I have. I have CM7600ICs which have a keypad controller sort of like MyQ that allow you to control the light and door separately and and lock the door. So I assume the device would have to be programmed to talk the Genie protocol, just like it's programmed to talk the MyQ Security+ 2.0 protocol. Maybe somebody has got it working with a Genie like mine.

I ordered the door/light switch LiftMaster 883LM Security+ 2.0 MyQ Door Control Push Button off amazon for $17 and will solder on dry contact relay for those with a z wave zooz zen52 which I have found work pretty well.

Now no need to tie myself to Myq products for other door opener replacements.

1 hour ago, captainc said:

I ordered the door/light switch LiftMaster 883LM Security+ 2.0 MyQ Door Control Push Button off amazon for $17 and will solder on dry contact relay for those with a z wave zooz zen52 which I have found work pretty well.

Now no need to tie myself to Myq products for other door opener replacements.

That solution seems like it would give you local control of the door. I assume it means you either need to add your own tilt sensor or use variables to track door status? The situation where I notice the door is open when I'm away and I can close it has always been my primary reason for getting MyQ in the first place. The other thing that was and still is nice about MyQ is that it's one solution to control both of my openers.

Edited by landolfi

Just FYI, I've been waiting for two things to happen before a dive into this: 1) for the folks discussing the issue over at the pymyq Github repository to find/settle on a solution, and 2) for my MyQ node server to stop working. To date, neither of those have happened yet. But I will keep looking at it.

EDIT: I should say I'm waiting on my production installation of the MyQ node server to stop working.

Edited by Goose66