Not Found Message when starting IoX Launcher

lgilsenberg
Go to solution Solved by Geddy,

My diagnosis: You are running a new version of the launcher with your ISY running an old version of IoX. The current launcher involves two forms of discovery and access: the older broadcast method and newer mDNS. So when the ISY responds to broadcast discovery, the launcher expects there to be two paths to the ISY. But since your ISY isn't (can't) run Zeroconf for mDNS, the second path doesn't exist.

My IoX Launcher gives two "Not found" boxes as well every boot up. My IoX launcher shows both the non-HTTPS access URL and the HTTP:// access version.

I wish we could just go back to the old URL method of accessing ISY. The IoX Launcher can never be found when new updates are installed, the self updatng version never materialised, it never has found my ISY URL and always had to be installed manually, and now, I have to clear two "Not Found" boxes off the screen to use it and terrified it could ruin my polisy SSD when I update next time.

Yeah, I know the IoX Launcher can be installed from one of the UDI's 6,000 webpages but they always seem to be secret and my saved links never work two months after I save them.

Edited by larryllix
  • Solution
2 hours ago, lgilsenberg said:

When I start IoX Launcher I get a Not found message. 

This is a known issue that was first discovered a month (or more) ago. Has long been fixed. You need to clear Java Cahce, delete any existing start.jnlp or admin.jnlp files you have on your system and download a new IoX Launcher file from the UDI site - https://isy.universal-devices.com/start.jnlp

(Quick search would find many posts about this: https://forum.universal-devices.com/search/?q="not found"&quick=1)

25 minutes ago, larryllix said:

Yeah, I know the IoX Launcher can be installed from one of the UDI's 6,000 webpages but they always seem to be secret and my saved links never work two months after I save them.

Yeah...it's "secret". If you go to universal-devices.com and click on "My ISY" it right there. Also, there's a post in the "current release" area that links to the launcher file that has been in the same spot since 2018. So I'm not sure what links you seem to be saving that never work after two months, but maybe you can save one of these two links and not have an issue in December. :D

PS: @lgilsenberg this shouldn't impact you since you're using an ISY994, but just in case you have two entries for the ISY994 after performing the resolution steps above that is normal and acceptable. It's mostly seeming to impact Polisy and eisy users that resolve a friendly URL on some/most routers with "device.local" URL. On the ISY994 I do not think this applies, but if you should suddenly get two entries for the same device that's fine. Either would work. 

• Like 2
On 10/18/2023 at 10:54 AM, Geddy said:

<snippage>

Yeah...it's "secret". If you go to universal-devices.com and click on "My ISY" it right there. Also, there's a post in the "current release" area that links to the launcher file that has been in the same spot since 2018. So I'm not sure what links you seem to be saving that never work after two months, but maybe you can save one of these two links and not have an issue in December. :D

<snippage>

That is the first time I have ever seen any link to the ISY, IoP, or IoX launcher. I have seen it mentioned to load it likely 40-50 times but nobody has ever mentioned where to find it, that I read. Last time I asked I saved links to download it but they seemed to have all changed into outdated start.jnlp files again.

Now having installed v5.7.0 that went well, I now need to find the IoX Launcher again. The link loads the start.jnlp file and it installed an IoX Launcher on my desktop but running it resulted in a previous version that gave me the "Not Found" boxes again. Deleting that I cannot find an IoX Launcher with the nice avatar it had originally. Reloading the start.jnlp file only gave that avatar.  However it does run the IoX Launcher indirectly.

Where do I get the raw IoX Launcher with IoX icon from...or is it not available anymore?

OK found it. It hides the IoX Launcher in the Start menus...ooops, sorry... just another copy of the old IoX launcher. deleted. I suspect too much magic going on here. :(

Is it still available somewhere?

12 minutes ago, larryllix said:

That is the first time I have ever seen any link to the ISY, IoP, or IoX launcher. I have seen it mentioned to load it likely 40-50 times but nobody has ever mentioned where to find it, that I read. Last time I asked I saved links to download it but they seemed to have all changed into outdated start.jnlp files again.

Now having installed v5.7.0 that went well, I now need to find the IoX Launcher again. The link loads the start.jnlp file and it installed an IoX Launcher on my desktop but running it resulted in a previous version that gave me the "Not Found" boxes again. Deleting that I cannot find an IoX Launcher with the nice avatar it had originally. Reloading the start.jnlp file only gave that avatar.  However it does run the IoX Launcher indirectly.

Where do I get the raw IoX Launcher with IoX icon from...or is it not available anymore?

OK found it. It hides the IoX Launcher in the Start menus...ooops, sorry... just another copy of the old IoX launcher. deleted. I suspect too much magic going on here. :(

Is it still available somewhere?

You get the Launcher from running start.jnlp available from UD website, but first you need to clear your Java cache he (all 3 boxes).

You can download start.jnlp from here:

https://isy.universal-devices.com/start.jnlp

There is also a link in the wiki instructions page:

https://wiki.universal-devices.com/index.php?title=Main_Page#Installing_the_Admin_Console_Icon_on_Your_Desktop

The not found box is the result of using an outdated Launcher. To correct the issue, clear your Java cache and download a new start.jnlp.

15 minutes ago, DennisC said:

You get the Launcher from running start.jnlp available from UD website, but first you need to clear your Java cache he (all 3 boxes).

https://wiki.universal-devices.com/index.php?title=Main_Page#Installing_the_Admin_Console_Icon_on_Your_Desktop

The not found box is the result of using an outdated Launcher. To correct the issue, clear your Java cache and download a new start.jnlp.

Thanks but I just discovered that clearing your java cache does not function anymore.
When you clear your cache it is all "Temporary Files", and now start,jnlp installs the Iox Launcher in the permanent java files directory, wherever that is.

It seemed that the start.jnlp found the old Iox Launcher in the permanent java file and refused to update it.  It seems it states it automatically determines which ISY OS version you are running (as claimed when released a few years ago ) and thought it does not need to be updated??

After you delete the permanent files (I had two installed) I ran the start.jnlp again and all was forgiven. The IoX Launcher was installed correctly into java and a link to it was install into my Win 11 Start menu also. It was a simple job to post a link to it into my taskbar again from there. Tested and working.

IoXLauncherdelete.thumb.jpg.4073ba529d085fa1116ad4fcc0f811f9.jpg

This didn't work anymore as java doesnt seem to use it when there is a more permanent version available. <see below>
post-4697-0-92518300-1471816116_thumb.jpg

Edited by larryllix
10 minutes ago, DennisC said:

You know the dumb thing is that last time I got sick of spending hours looking for this file everytime I did an update, and saved the URL and the file into a folder on my desktop. What do ya' know?, the link file disappeared??? and none of the start.jnlp files would work correctly anyway. It seems they were not the right versions.

2 minutes ago, larryllix said:

It seems it states it automatically determines which ISY OS version you are running (as claimed when released a few years ago ) and thought it does not need to be updated??

The downloaded file start.jnlp gives the Launcher instructions regarding version of firmware you are running.

UD made some changes to the discovery method to try to improve the process. This change required a new start.jnlp be downloaded.

I last ran this process on Monday with a Win 10 machine and had no issues hearing Java cache, downloading start.jnlp, and having new Launcher on desktop after running.

• Like 1
Just now, DennisC said:

The downloaded file start.jnlp gives the Launcher instructions regarding version of firmware you are running.

UD made some changes to the discovery method to try to improve the process. This change required a new start.jnlp be downloaded.

I last ran this process on Monday with a Win 10 machine and had no issues hearing Java cache, downloading start.jnlp, and having new Launcher on desktop after running.

Yeah. New start.jnlp and cleared cache several times but it always ran the old IoX Launcher and gave "Not Found" errors. Then the IoX Launcher found in the Start menu wouldn't let me delete it as it would only refer me to the program deletion app. You can't delete java programs from there, only MS style coded things.

The best of AI from Windoze 11 where they know more about what you want then you will.

• Haha 1
4 minutes ago, lgilsenberg said:

Also during this process, I replaced my router.

Guess you missed the day in technology troubleshooting class that said don’t change multiple things when trying to fix one issue. 

• What brand of router did you change to?
  • Are you running any firewall software on your computer?
  • Did you get an advanced router that you setup different v-lans?
  • Have you tried with the computer hard wired to the same router? 
  • Can you pint the ISY IP from your computer?
  • Log into your router and look for “connected devices” and find the IP of the ISY994 then add it manually to the finder to be sure you can connect locally. 

Refer to the UDI Wiki for additional troubleshooting steps.

https://wiki.universal-devices.com/index.php?title=Main_Page

Did the “not found” popup error go away as expected? 

• What brand of router did you change to?
    • Eero 6+
  • Are you running any firewall software on your computer?
    • No
  • Did you get an advanced router that you setup different v-lans?
    • Just went through the basic setup in Eero
  • Have you tried with the computer hard wired to the same router? 
    • I have not, but I can access the ISY by calling it's IP address and also by UD Mobile.
  • Can you pint the ISY IP from your computer?
    • Yes
  • Log into your router and look for “connected devices” and find the IP of the ISY994 then add it manually to the finder to be sure you can connect locally. 
    • Done

I do not see it with the Launcher and don't know how to access the program without it.

The "not found" error went away after I followed the instructions to clear java cache (all 3 buttons) then remove start and admin jnlp's and relound the launcher.

Edited by lgilsenberg
1 minute ago, lgilsenberg said:

Can you pint the ISY IP from your computer?

• Yes

Sorry….should have been “ping”. 

3 minutes ago, lgilsenberg said:

Have you tried with the computer hard wired to the same router? 

• I have not, but I can access the ISY by calling it's IP address and also by UD Mobile.

So you can get to admin console if you manually add the IP? Sounds like the eero is blocking the handshake. I don’t have any experience with the eero line, but have read about such issues elsewhere. 

5 minutes ago, lgilsenberg said:

I do not see it with the Launcher and don't know how to access the program without it.

What program?