How can you avoid new ZWave node numbers when re-adding failed devices?

photogeek54

I should know the answer to this having used Z-wave for 10+ years.

I have several Aeotec trisensors that do not accurately display their battery % so they regularly go dead before I realize the low battery.

This often means they often lose their stored information and have to be re-added to the z-wave network.

Then I have to try to find all the programs that referenced that node and update them to the new node number. Isn't there some way to re-add them at the old address, it would save a lot of headaches?

They don’t remember zwave network after replacing battery? That seems strange. 

You can try replace zwave device ( if it still is an option ) but that is hit and miss in my experience.

IoX unfortunately uses the actual zwave node ID when referencing the device in programs etc. The node ID is auto incremented by the hardware controller and one cannot control this otherwise.

I agree with @brians, The last time I tried this was with Polisy and a Zooz 700 dongle. The only way I was able to maintain the zwave node numbers was to factory reset the dongle and then re-add the devices in the same order as previously added. With ~45 devices, it was a giant PIA. One mistake and start over. Probably better to re-add the device, accepting the new z-wave node and then fix any program issues.

Edited by gviliunas

Interestingly I lost my battery level monitor on my Aeotec Multilevel Sensor when I upgraded from the Zooz 700 dongle to the ZMatter dongle.  I tried resetting the sensor several times to get the battery level back without success. Temperature, Humidity and Dew Point reporting still work reliably fortunately.

Fyi I never lost the node numbers on a battery reset, but have on a device reset which makes sense.

@mmb

The Multisensor is fully compatible with the Zmatter dongle.

Something you can try,

Right click on the device, then click on "Z-wave", "Rewrite all device links"

You can also try putting the sensor into linking mode then query the device, which should then display the battery level.

1 hour ago, gviliunas said:

I agree with @brians, The last time I tried this was with Polisy and a Zooz 700 dongle. The only way I was able to maintain the zwave node numbers was to factory reset the dongle and then re-add the devices in the same order as previously added. With ~45 devices, it was a giant PIA. One mistake and start over. Probably better to re-add the device, accepting the new z-wave node and then fix any program issues.

You could keep including and excluding same device over and over until it rolls over the 232 node limit LOL.

1 hour ago, Techman said:

@mmb

The Multisensor is fully compatible with the Zmatter dongle.

Something you can try

Thanks just tried your suggestion but nothing appearing under battery level.

I'll give it a bit of time because I remember when using the zooz dongle the level appeared the next day.

I'll update tomorrow or earlier...

• 3 weeks later...

Just had another trisensor battery die so I got to try all your suggestions. No luck. The battery level  reported as 85

%  but stopped responding at 8am this morning. The battery tested at only 1 volt so much lower than 85%.

The trisensor had completely reset itself so none of the suggestions worked. had to re-add it with a brand new node number and find dozens of bad references in the programs, ugh.