Portal (Alexa) broken?

For the last couple of days Alexa does not recognize the state change of "Motion Detectors" or "Contact Sensors" that I created in the portal. For instance, I've setup a number of state variables in the portal as either Motion Detectors (multiple states ie 0, 1, 2, 3 etc) or Contact Sensor (two states either 0 or 1). So if a ISY program changes the state of a state variable, this triggers an Alexa Routine. I've been doing this for years. Even created some new ones last week.

However, Alexa has not recognized these state changes for the past 2 days. Did I miss something?

btw All other portal related functions appear to be working fine.

Thanks

Edited by thruster999
Portal issue, not Alexa

If you have ever disconnected your accounts temporarily the Alexa app may have disabled all your routines due to pseudo devices MIA  for a short while.

I previously found my routines disabled in the Alexa app for various reason. It doesn't seem to happen in the last few years though.

I have had my Alexa routines just stop working but not disabled sever times in the past two years for no reason. Always had to call and try to explain the problem. When finely seen that the problem was with Alexa a service ticket was opened and all my routines were working the next day. Never given an explanation.

• Like 1

Thank you @larryllix and @garybixler

My Alexa routines are definitely enabled and working - at least those that are not triggered by a Motion or Contact sensor setup in the UD Portal.

For instance, when I use Alexa to call to turn on an Insteon Switch or to run an ISY program that turns on Insteon Switches (voice commands setup in the UD Portal), it works great (as always). Also, Alexa Routines not related to or dependant on the UD Portal work fine as well.

I've narrowed this down to only devices setup as a Motion Detectors or Contact Sensors in the UD Portal. I believe something in the UD Portal was changed a few days ago and broke this. iow this is not an Amazon or Alexa issue. For instance, I have a motion detector at my front door which is recognized by Alexa as a Smart Home device and is NOT setup in or related to the UD Portal. When this motion detector is triggered the related Alexa Routine runs and notifies me. So, I don't think it's Alexa.

btw I tried unlinking and relinking the UD ISY Skill (and rediscovering all devices) to no joy. I even deleted all the Motion and Contact Sensors I setup in the UD Portal from my list of Alexa Smart Home Devices and then rediscovered them successfuly - also to no joy.

Thanks again

You probably have done this. But in case you haven't, have you manually run the then portion of the programs that set you variables to make sure the variables are getting changed? Have you manually run the routines in the Alexa app to make sure they are running correctly?

Hi @dbuss!

Yes I have. I've run the ISY programs manually (then, else) to make sure the related state variable has been changed correctly (key is changed because its not a trigger if the state hasn't changed). And I've even changed the state variable manually in the variables section to no joy. And lastly, when I play the routines from the Alexa App they work great. As of 3 days ago these routines are no longer triggered when the state variable changes. prior to that they had been working for years!

btw I spoke to Amazon and of course they blamed the UD skill - but of course they would :-). But I do think it is UD because as I mentioned earlier, all my other Alexa routines work great including those triggered by a motion detector that is not setup in the UD Portal. It's only routines triggered by Motion Detectors and Contact Sensors setup in the UD Portal.

Thanks!

In my case only devices created from variables were the problem. On/Off contact type.  Those devices were used to trigger routines. I could see that the devices were working correctly on the Alexa app but they were not triggering the routine. Something was broken between the triggers and routines at Alexa.

20 minutes ago, garybixler said:

In my case only devices created from variables were the problem. On/Off contact type.  Those devices were used to trigger routines. I could see that the devices were working correctly on the Alexa app but they were not triggering the routine. Something was broken between the triggers and routines at Alexa.

Actually @garybixler you're probably right. It appears to be that ANY Alexa Routine triggered by a state variable is no longer being triggered and run when the state variable changes. 

I just tried two of my Alexa variables:

-first where ISY initiates a change --> Alexa worked as expected (configured as variable in ISY and Device\Motion Sensor in Alexa)

-Second where Alexa initiates the change --> ISY responded as expected.  (configured as a variable in ISY, light switch in Alexa)

So its does NOT seem to be a system wide issue.

3 hours ago, thruster999 said:

Thank you @larryllix and @garybixler

My Alexa routines are definitely enabled and working - at least those that are not triggered by a Motion or Contact sensor setup in the UD Portal.

For instance, when I use Alexa to call to turn on an Insteon Switch or to run an ISY program that turns on Insteon Switches (voice commands setup in the UD Portal), it works great (as always). Also, Alexa Routines not related to or dependant on the UD Portal work fine as well.

I've narrowed this down to only devices setup as a Motion Detectors or Contact Sensors in the UD Portal. I believe something in the UD Portal was changed a few days ago and broke this. iow this is not an Amazon or Alexa issue. For instance, I have a motion detector at my front door which is recognized by Alexa as a Smart Home device and is NOT setup in or related to the UD Portal. When this motion detector is triggered the related Alexa Routine runs and notifies me. So, I don't think it's Alexa.

btw I tried unlinking and relinking the UD ISY Skill (and rediscovering all devices) to no joy. I even deleted all the Motion and Contact Sensors I setup in the UD Portal from my list of Alexa Smart Home Devices and then rediscovered them successfuly - also to no joy.

Thanks again

Read my post again. This sounds like exactly what I described. Check if your Alexa app routines related to your ISY Portal pseudo devices are still enabled.
Again. When you disconnect accounts, Alexa disables routines that are using the devices that do not exist during that MIA period.

I found many times that I had to redefine the devices being used in the Alexa app when I disconnect accounts. A few have discovered it can be done for very short periods without connection damage in the past.

Other routines using non Portal devices would not be affected as they were never deleted.

Hello @larryllix, thanks for your help.

Yeah the Routines are enabled. I even started a chat with Amazon Support to make sure. 

What's weird is that when I change the state of the variable in the ISY, the related device I setup in the Portal reports "Motion Detected" in the Alexa app under devices (and vis versa). Depite this trigger, the related routine does not run.

As I mentioned earlier, these Routines have been running for years, same smart devices, never dormant. The Routines just stopped running a few days ago.

Since this is still working for other UD members in this forum, I have changed my mind - this has to be an Amazon issue since the Device state is changing in the app.

btw the goto advice from amazon support is to delete your app (and the routines - even if you have dozens)

If I learn anything new from Amazon I'll post it

Thanks again

• Like 1

@thruster999Alexa will fix the problem after they realize that it is their problem. Been down this road with Alexa 3 times now. The first time was like pulling teeth. The second time they used their screen share to the phone app so I could show them exactly what wasn't working. The last time however I basically told them they had a problem and corrected it within a day. I think they looked back on my previous tickets.  They also had me recreate a non working routine just to satisfy their requirements.

3 hours ago, thruster999 said:

What's weird is that when I change the state of the variable in the ISY, the related device I setup in the Portal reports "Motion Detected" in the Alexa app under devices (and vis versa). Depite this trigger, the related routine does not run.

A few ides you have probably tried, but just in case:

• hit the play button on the routine and does it run w/o the trigger? 
  • Change one of the items in the routine, resave it and try both the trigger and the play button to see if re-saving hte routine will kick it into gear again? 
  • double check the trigger element in the routine to ensure "detected" is checked and that it hasn't changed? and if it is, change it to not detected and save it, then change it back and save it? 

Just looking for ideas to see if the routine will re-engage.

Hello @larryllix, thanks for your help.
Yeah the Routines are enabled. I even started a chat with Amazon Support to make sure. 
As I mentioned earlier, these Routines have been running for years, same smart devices, never dormant. The Routines just stopped running a few days ago.
Since this is still working for other UD members in this forum, I have changed my mind - this has to be an Amazon issue since the Device state is changing in the app.
btw the goto advice from amazon support is to delete your app (and the routines - even if you have dozens)
If I learn anything new from Amazon I'll post it
Thanks again

ditto here. I had to bounce it off Akexa support a few years back. I got the same ghosting as most others but then they began working again. Of course the first time it took months but a year or so later they started working again the next day.

As always amazon support never got back to me. This hasn't happened to me in the last two years? now...fingers crossed.

If you have checked both ends of the logic and the routines have the enabled switches on then it is Amazon's server at fault.

I can't believe this crap is still happening after so many support complaints regarding this same problem.

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

Hello @larryllix and @dbwarner5 and everone in this thread. Just wanted to say thanks for the help.

Dealing with Amazon support was insane. I had 12 agents ask me to do the same troubleshooting steps (12 times!) ie uninstall and reinstall the app, deactivate, reactivate the skill, disable, reenable the routines. create new motion sensors, create new routines, change the name of my echo devices, deregister, register etc. All but the last one agent dropped me without explanation.

Anyway, the last one finally escalated it (opened a ticket) and they are going to look at my account first - to see why these Routines (related to ISY) are not running despite the change of state in the device.

Thanks again

• Like 1
On 1/9/2024 at 11:00 AM, thruster999 said:

Hello @larryllix and @dbwarner5 and everone in this thread. Just wanted to say thanks for the help.

Dealing with Amazon support was insane. I had 12 agents ask me to do the same troubleshooting steps (12 times!) ie uninstall and reinstall the app, deactivate, reactivate the skill, disable, reenable the routines. create new motion sensors, create new routines, change the name of my echo devices, deregister, register etc. All but the last one agent dropped me without explanation.

Anyway, the last one finally escalated it (opened a ticket) and they are going to look at my account first - to see why these Routines (related to ISY) are not running despite the change of state in the device.

Thanks again

Their monitor screens with the canned responses have no AI.
However, many humans have no logic either. It's just a paycheque if they can pass the English exam.

Edited by larryllix

Hello @larryllix and @dbwarner5

So last night, everthing started to work again (down for 2 weeks). I contacted Amazon (with ticket ID) to ask them what they chaged. They said nothing was done to resolve my issue specifically. So they didn't know why it started to work again. However, they asked me a few questions including the date and time everything started up again and said they would investigate if something had changed on their end (on the 1st and on the 14th - the beginning and end of the issue). They said they'd email me if they found anything.

Not gonna hold my breath.

• Like 2