Open Discussion: Themostats - what is working with EISY?

Kentinada

I am hoping we can get some dialogue going here on what thermostats people are using and how they interface with the EISY. I am going to be shopping for new thermostats soon so I’d really appreciate hearing things like: 

• what make and model are you using?
  • wifi? Zwave? Other? 
  • is there a working node server/plugin if one is required to integrate with the eISY?
  • is there a fee/cost for said node server/plugin? 
  • pros and cons you’ve found so far with your thermostat of choice?

I’ll start with my current experience.

• i have 2 Honeywell T9 wifi thermostats installed - one for each zone in my house. 
  • they are wifi thermostats and the Wi-Fi connection works fine.
  • the Honeywell Home node server that would let you interface these thermostats to your eISY is dead in the water. Resideo support has gone completely dark. 
  • no fee for the node server but as I said, it’s broken on the Honeywell side of things.
  • the T9 does include HomeKit support which works fine but the eISY does not yet include HomeKit support. The Resideo IOS app is terrible. I routinely have to log out and back in again to get the app to refresh to the current state of things. 

Ok your turn, go! 

I have 2 Venstar thermostats in my setup. One is a T1900 with the Insteon dongle. I have had this in my system for 15+ years and has been great (I did have to replace a failed Insteon dongle many years ago and have another spare if ever fails again) but unfortunately they stopped making the dongle and fully Insteon-integrated Venstar many years ago. The other one I have installed is a Venstar Voyager with Z-wave module. This too works very well and have been using for about 4 years. These particular Venstar thermostats are not “glamorous” but work very well and have the features that I need such as direct connection/integration to ISY (I am not interested in using a node server/wi-fi connectivity) for my particular integration, native humidifier control, wired outdoor temp sensor and terminals to connect a contact closure to as to place in vacation mode. 

11 minutes ago, tpolito said:

I inherited a house with Nest thermostats and really don’t want to replace them. I know the node server is gone. Can they still be used with network resources to at least change set points?

Jimboautomates has an IFTTT plugin, and IFTTT supports the Nest. I haven't done this, but you could start with setting up IFTTT, connecting it to your nests and experiment, see where it leads, then try the eval period for Jimboautomates plugin.

Edited by paulbates

Don't laugh, but I still use the old Insteon 2441TH thermostats.  

However, I've rendered them dumb and use a Yolink sensor (via the Plugin and programs) to control when they turn on and off.  I place the Yolink where I want to measure the temperature as the thermostat is kind of out of the way and I don't really care what the temperature is at that location.  I do care what the temperature is at my couch in the living room and in my bedroom.

I installed a heat pump last year and it all still works as before.

Ross

• Like 1

I have been using this native z-wave Honeywell thermostat for several years. It was easy top connect and works well. No node servers needed.

Honeywell TH6320ZW2003 T6 Pro Series Z-Wave Stat Thermostat

Edited by gviliunas
  • Like 2
9 minutes ago, gviliunas said:

I have been using this native z-wave Honeywell thermostat for several years. It was easy top connect and works well. No node servers needed.

Honeywell TH6320ZW2003 T6 Pro Series Z-Wave Stat Thermostat

I had this one, switched to the 2007 to get S2 support.  Same basic thermostat, one has S2 smart start, didn't even need to re-wire anything.

Currently using NEST thermostats and interfacing with Home Assistant.  In our previous house we used Honeywell also with HA.  I preferred the Honeywell because of the monthly usage reports.  NEST sends monthly reports as well which are not as useful unless you care how many eco leaves you got.

45 minutes ago, jec6613 said:
56 minutes ago, gviliunas said:

I had this one, switched to the 2007 to get S2 support.  Same basic thermostat, one has S2 smart start, didn't even need to re-wire anything

Do these T6’s still use the Resideo Smart Home app?

I've got a Honeywell TH9320WF5003.   I don't know if this is the same as the T9 you have and speak of.  The Wifi works well (the app seems to lose connectivity every other time I open it - I just force close the iOS app and restart and connection is good) and I also control through Alexa which is reliable.  98% of what I need is just handled with the internal schedule.   

I don't get deep into the protocols, but would either the Eisy or HA have an interface to the Alexa skill that you could include in your programming?

I'm using 2GIG STZ-1 thermostats and they're working really well.  They connected easily via Zwave and work well.  Good connection and responsiveness communicating both to and from the EISY.  The UDMobile thermostat dashboard view does not work well, but the standard view is fine.  I've been happy so far running three of them in different zones in our house.  Thinking of installing them in a second location.

I use the Go Control GC-TBZ48 Battery Powered Z-Wave Thermostat for our primary HVAC and Stelpro Z-Wave Plus KI STZW402WB+ Thermostats for our electric baseboard heaters. Programmability is not a big thing for us as our thermostats pretty much stay at the same temperature. I like the ability to adjust them remotely when needed and they have worked well for this.

I am like DBuss, I control my gas fireplace with a millivolt GoControl and my baseboard heaters througout the house with StelPro's.  All Z-Wave. I find them to do exactly what I want and are easily progammable both with ISY and now eisy.

The StelPro's are pricey now, but their support is excellent. I had a failure out of warranty and they sent me a new one..

I know there are a lof of millivolt controllers out there but in my view the StelPro's are the very best for 240V resistive heat baseboard applications. Built like tanks. (BTW I run 8 of them in my house - now on year 6).

Edited by glacier991
  • Like 1
On 1/11/2024 at 7:21 PM, Kentinada said:
  • what make and model are you using?
  • wifi? Zwave? Other? 
  • is there a working node server/plugin if one is required to integrate with the eISY?
  • is there a fee/cost for said node server/plugin? 
  • pros and cons you’ve found so far with your thermostat of choice?
  • Venstar ColorTouch 5200
  • WiFi
  • Yes, there's a plugin, and it works well
  • $10.95 perpetual license
  • Open API, so no cloud connection necessary.  There is a Venter app available along with a free cloud account with Venstar if you wish to control the thermostat remotely without using your UDI Mobile app.  You can set up a geofence in the Venstar app should you like.  The thermostat works very well, it supports remote temp sensors, and I've had zero issues with it.  The GUI isn't terribly responsive, but I almost never use it.  It's attractive enough so that the Mrs. doesn't ever mention it.

Feel compelled to chime in as I've used multiple brands of thermostats with ISY/Iox over the past almost 2 decades across multiple homes and business properties.

Insteon- never tried - was scared off with the issues posted all over these forums

Honeywell native Z-wave (the ugly green screen ones supplied by some utilities as they also handle ADR/load shedding) - work fine, no nodeserver required. Still use one at one of my rental properties. Annoying to deal with as it had a weak Zwave antenna and I was on the old ISY at the time- had to do an external antenna - Still had transient issues as the rest of the place was mostly Insteon so did not have a robust Zwave network (back in the 300 series days).

Radio Thermostat CT series- also had multiple of these. They worked poorly.  Do not need a nodeserver. Not sure if it was a poor quality Z-wave network (in these properties had multiple other Z-wave devices and repeaters, etc- tried everything - zwave 500 setup). Gave up on them and ripped them out. Programmable, has some options, but far behind in features compared to the following. Basic-looking in a home.

Honeywell T6s- similar to the T9s below as far as equipment capability but without the app control. Inherited several in a commercial property and replaced them with the T9s. I really like their install and setup process. But I needed remote control for that application.

Honeywell T9s- the cute ones now on Resideo (old Honeywell Home)- wasn't able to get the nodeserver setup done and relies on someone hosting a small free Amazon ECS instance. So never integrated them into IoX. App control is nice- I still use them at 2 commercial properties with their inbuilt schedules + app overrides. Had them at my home as well with remote sensors which averaged the temp across the home (use radiators, so that was a key).  They have lots of features and can handle various multistage heating/cooling equipment setups. Ripped them out of my home in favor of 

Venstars- Wifi-enabled. The CT series is great as is the Explorer series. Have both app control (Skyport cloud- their servers) and nodeserver support. App is nice but I rarely need it as I have the IoX. Helped with configuration though. Nodeserver for CT series works fine, but is polling all the time which makes programming difficult. Isn't able to control the Explorer series. Ventar has an API which can do HTTP/HTTPS. Therefore I use the inbuilt network module to control (send commands via API calls) and the nodserver to read status. Also use their Explorer series which is slightly cheaper but in some ways more capable in 4 of the bedrooms. Have lots of features but many I honestly don't use as I prefer to manage centrally via the IoX as I'm running dual fuel with progressive radiant takeover based upon exterior temperature. Handles remote sensors (wired and wireless) with multiple control options including averaging or various onboard/wired/wireless sensing. Really a great set of thermostats. Ripped everything out of my home in favor of these and not looking back.

Anyone need some used thermostats?

Edited by Scott Korvek
  • Like 1

@Bumbershoot and @Scott Korvek Thanks for the info on the Venstar thermostats.  Looks like the 5200 is no longer available and the 7850 is the choice. Looks like it's a choice (for me) between Ecobee and Venstar.  I'm done with Honeywell.  I know others use it and it works fine.  I have just had less than positive experiences with the Resideo app.  So now I start looking for sales on Ecobee and Venstar.  

1 hour ago, Kentinada said:

@Bumbershoot and @Scott Korvek Thanks for the info on the Venstar thermostats.  Looks like the 5200 is no longer available and the 7850 is the choice. Looks like it's a choice (for me) between Ecobee and Venstar.  I'm done with Honeywell.  I know others use it and it works fine.  I have just had less than positive experiences with the Resideo app.  So now I start looking for sales on Ecobee and Venstar.  

Ecobee typically puts deals on stats with the remotes included. The remotes are good for occupancy detection but not lighting control due to their very slow response.

I have mixed feelings about using remotes for temperature regulation and have enabled some and then disabled them again. There are a few logical problems with the technique. However, the remote temperature detection is good for setting up your air flows etc. as good information.

Jimbo's ecobee NS is excellent and very reasonable to purchase.

• Like 1