Some devices arent responding to voice commands

They used to respond to the command but for some reason they don't now.

I ask "Alexa, turn on marion's office"

She says "Okay" as usual but does nothing. (sounds like a teenager, sorry had to say it hahaha)

I try to turn it on with the phone app and sometimes it responds but when it does I'm waiting for a while. Lets say it doesn't really respond.

Maybe related...

I also have a few scenes that don't trigger correctly. (an outside scene that doesn't turn on all the outside lights)

I have added an evo lux light but its not always on when the failures happen

I'm not sure what's up here.

@andrew77 have you made sure that your portal subscription is active? 

UD_portal_license_info.jpg

In another post @bmercier said he made some changes related to the Alexa connection this morning that might have been causing issues.

The scene issues working/not working outside lights seems like it might be a local communication issue that isn't triggering the scene correctly. Remember "noise" isn't always created by NEW things added. Some have found that failing power supplies for other equipment/devices or even phone chargers randomly left plugged in can suddenly add noise or degrade powerline signals. 

20 minutes ago, Geddy said:

@andrew77 have you made sure that your portal subscription is active? 

UD_portal_license_info.jpg

In another post @bmercier said he made some changes related to the Alexa connection this morning that might have been causing issues.

The scene issues working/not working outside lights seems like it might be a local communication issue that isn't triggering the scene correctly. Remember "noise" isn't always created by NEW things added. Some have found that failing power supplies for other equipment/devices or even phone chargers randomly left plugged in can suddenly add noise or degrade powerline signals. 

Hi Geddy, thank you for the reply. The license is good until 2025.

The Alexa changes this morning probably wouldn't have a bearing on my issues as they've been going on for a while now.

Although I did just get this in the GUI

I tried querying it and got the same error

Screenshot 2024-01-29 at 4.48.46 PM.png

3 hours ago, andrew77 said:

Screenshot 2024-01-29 at 4.48.46 PM.png

So if the ISY cant communicate with the device, then Alexa also can't as it goes thru the ISY, so that is most likely your Alexa problem, as you probably have already guessed. 

I have found that the above comes usually when a switch may be dying if you haven't changed anything in the actual wiring of the switch, or added a new appliance nearby that could be causing noise, or it just needs reseting.  

First step would be to pull out the Gap button and then after a delay, push it back in and hold it until the switch beeps and then comes back on to full. This is the most typical way of resetting the switch.

Then open up your AC to the ISY and select the switch and right click -> restore. 

sometimes the switches just need to be reset. Start there and if not, then the switch may have died, or you have some new very loud interference nearby. 

17 hours ago, dbwarner5 said:

So if the ISY cant communicate with the device, then Alexa also can't as it goes thru the ISY, so that is most likely your Alexa problem, as you probably have already guessed. 

I have found that the above comes usually when a switch may be dying if you haven't changed anything in the actual wiring of the switch, or added a new appliance nearby that could be causing noise, or it just needs reseting.  

First step would be to pull out the Gap button and then after a delay, push it back in and hold it until the switch beeps and then comes back on to full. This is the most typical way of resetting the switch.

Then open up your AC to the ISY and select the switch and right click -> restore. 

sometimes the switches just need to be reset. Start there and if not, then the switch may have died, or you have some new very loud interference nearby. 

I tried airgappng and still no luck. I’ll try to replace it this weekend when I have more time and let the forum know the results 

thank you guys 

1 hour ago, andrew77 said:

I tried airgappng and still no luck. I’ll try to replace it this weekend when I have more time and let the forum know the results 

thank you guys 

just to be clear, you went through the process to get the beep after about 10 seconds of holding the air gap button pushed in? 

The switches do die occasionally. I just replaced on that was about 7 years old. Same reason. Resetting it via the air gap worked for a while, then it no longer worked. Replacement has worked fine.

good luck. 

On 1/30/2024 at 2:27 PM, dbwarner5 said:

just to be clear, you went through the process to get the beep after about 10 seconds of holding the air gap button pushed in? 

The switches do die occasionally. I just replaced on that was about 7 years old. Same reason. Resetting it via the air gap worked for a while, then it no longer worked. Replacement has worked fine.

good luck. 

The switch still works but the isy doesn't see it as on or off (exclamation mark beside it) I cant control it from the isy, alexa, or anything.

Does that make sense?

I'm not sure how it can work as regular  but not as a smart switch

Sorry for bombing the forum but it seems like another SWL is not being recognized by the ISY

(this switch changes in the ISY between the red exclamation mark and the 'write to device' icon

sometimes I can control it by repeatedly clicking the fast on/off button)

Is this too coincidental or should I be looking for something bigger?

So I have some scenes that don't trigger correctly, two SWL that function solely as a regular switch but don't work within the ISY or with Alexa voice commands.

Not sure what can be going wrong here.

Do I have a corrupt file in the ISY itself?

Also, just noticed the ISY doesn't always show the true state of the devices

(clearly I'm grasping at straws here)

Edited by andrew77
adding information

It seems you might have a sudden line noise issue. Kind of difficult to find, but follow the troubleshooting tips in the wiki and you'll be on your way to figuring out if this is the issue.

https://wiki.universal-devices.com/INSTEON_Signal_/_Noise_Troubleshooting

Things to check for are new devices added, old appliances that might be running on same circuit of either the switch or the PLM, as simple as phone charger left plugged in could be going bad.

@MrBill had a good post that I remember helped others in the past. Check this process out for assistance.

1 hour ago, andrew77 said:

I'm not sure how it can work as regular  but not as a smart switch

If you mean "work as regular" meaning turning the load connected to the switch on/off that's expected...just means the switch is working normally. Just the "smarts" of it might not be working. 

If it's in a scene it should still be working the scene because the ISY writes the links to the switch. (I think this is expected...I don't have many scenes to directly compare/test with). 

Now that you have another device not working it's either the noise or sadly a PLM could be dying. I'd troubleshoot the noise first. 

• Like 1
On 2/6/2024 at 3:37 PM, Geddy said:

It seems you might have a sudden line noise issue. Kind of difficult to find, but follow the troubleshooting tips in the wiki and you'll be on your way to figuring out if this is the issue.

https://wiki.universal-devices.com/INSTEON_Signal_/_Noise_Troubleshooting

Things to check for are new devices added, old appliances that might be running on same circuit of either the switch or the PLM, as simple as phone charger left plugged in could be going bad.

@MrBill had a good post that I remember helped others in the past. Check this process out for assistance.

If you mean "work as regular" meaning turning the load connected to the switch on/off that's expected...just means the switch is working normally. Just the "smarts" of it might not be working. 

If it's in a scene it should still be working the scene because the ISY writes the links to the switch. (I think this is expected...I don't have many scenes to directly compare/test with). 

Now that you have another device not working it's either the noise or sadly a PLM could be dying. I'd troubleshoot the noise first. 

I have a day off so I’ll try the noise issues. I also have two new swl so I’ll replace the old ones and see if that helps. I have an evo colour bulb that’s new as well so I’ll try to take that out of the equation. Does anyone have any experience with those? 

lastly, if it is the PLM, are they being made again? Is it possible to buy them in Canada? I see the 2413S is on order at Aartech. 

While shutting off breakers I had to shut off the breaker the ISY was on and when it got power it is now flashing Memory and Error (one blue and one red LED)

I clearly can't reboot from the app as its offline.

I've unplugged it a few times and nothing

Any help is greatly appreciated as I'm dead in the water

So it seems it rallied from the beyond. 

That's not going to stop me from buying an extra PLM when theyre in stock up here.

I haven't started to fix my communication issues yet. 

Just happy I'm able to use the ISY and PLM

Edited by andrew77
55 minutes ago, andrew77 said:

Any help is greatly appreciated as I'm dead in the water

Make sure you check this out for the lights blinking:

https://wiki.universal-devices.com/Main_Page#Front_Panel_LEDs/Lights

But glad you got it back up and running for now. See if you've got a spare power supply that would work to test on the ISY994.  (From the wiki page linked above:  You can try any power supply that outputs anywhere between 5 volt and 30 volts, center positive, 2mm barrel connector)

Keep checking for noise on other circuits. Good luck!

Make sure if you turn the power off to the ISY994 and PLM that the PLM is powered on first and allow some time for it to "stabilize" (maybe 60-90 seconds?) then plug in the ISY994 and watch the lights on bootup. 

So after all this replacing the SWL didn't seem to work. 

I tried the 'replace with' option but now the old switch is no longer in the ISY and the new switch isnt able to be reached (red exclamation mark in the GUI)

I'm assuming something worse is going on?

If I click on the "write updates to device" on anything the GUI goes through its thing and then the "write updates" icon is still there.

I'm assuming its not writing updates to the devices.

The devices that I either replaced or air gapped aren't reachable with the ISY (red exclamation mark that persists)

As above, some devices/scenes/ programs are spotty as far as doing what they should.

Is there a way to check to see if the PLM is indeed failing before I keep going through the house figuring out what else could be producing line noise?

The isy has a serial port, and the eisy has USB. If you get the serial now, they make a cable as a converter... I would really suggest that and not starting over again when you get an eisy

Edited by paulbates
50 minutes ago, paulbates said:

The isy has a serial port, and the eisy has USB. If you get the serial now, they make a cable as a converter... I would really suggest that and not starting over again when you get an eisy

So get the serial PLM, order the cable and the Eisy and I’m good for everything?

they have the usb PLM in stock and the serial is a week or so behind. I can wait if that’s what you suggest. 
is the serial better than the usb? I’m not sure what you mean by starting over again?