6 button KPL backlighting challenge

maxnorth
Go to solution Solved by TJF1960,

I have a number of 8 button KPLs that work fine.  I have installed my first insteon 6 button KPL and have issues with the backlighting.  This KPL has an On button on top and an Off button on the bottom, but the admin console only shows a single entry for this load, not separate entries for On and Off.  That is fine.

Two issues: 1. When I set the backlight for this load to On 6/Off 0, for example, the On light comes on when on and the Off light comes on (at power 6) when off.  In other words, I can find no way to make the Off button stay dark at all times. The exception is if I set it to On 0/Off 0, then neither the On or Off light ever comes on.  That is livable, but not ideal for me. And this leads to the second problem.

2. With this KPL, if I set the backlight level for any button, it affects ALL buttons.  As I recall with the 8 button KPLs, each button's level could be set independently.  That is not the case with this device?  Is this a known issue? 

The Insteon firmware doesn't have an option to set the led brightness on the individual KPL buttons. 

@maxnorth

When you set the backlight level be sure to click on the "Blacklight" button after setting your levels.

Make sure you Keypad button option is set to "toggle. If you set the levels to 1/0 the KPL leds should turn off when the button is off

3 hours ago, maxnorth said:

I have a number of 8 button KPLs that work fine.  I have installed my first insteon 6 button KPL and have issues with the backlighting.  This KPL has an On button on top and an Off button on the bottom, but the admin console only shows a single entry for this load, not separate entries for On and Off.  That is fine.

Insteon calls it a 6 button keypad since it has 6 buttons. The console has always shown it as a 5 button since the on/off button cannot be decoupled.

• Solution
4 hours ago, maxnorth said:

Two issues: 1. When I set the backlight for this load to On 6/Off 0, for example, the On light comes on when on and the Off light comes on (at power 6) when off.  In other words, I can find no way to make the Off button stay dark at all times. The exception is if I set it to On 0/Off 0, then neither the On or Off light ever comes on.  That is livable, but not ideal for me. And this leads to the second problem.

2. With this KPL, if I set the backlight level for any button, it affects ALL buttons.  As I recall with the 8 button KPLs, each button's level could be set independently.  That is not the case with this device?  Is this a known issue? 

Hi @maxnorth, If I recall, from the Admin Console select the main (on-off) node of the 6-button KPL. Select "Buttons Toggle Mode." Select the first node (main on-off node) and select "Non-Toggle." At the KPL push the on button then the off button. The on LED behind the button will turn on and off as normal. When the press the off button the off LED should remain off now.