HA SkyConnect ?

With the added ability to run Home Assistant on EISY, I'm wonder about the possibility of plugging Home Assistant's SkyConnect into an EISY? Of course, this assumes Home Assistant is running on the EISY box.  I'm not suggesting SkyConnect might work directly IOX.  I know this is what ZMatter USB is for.

While not desperate, I'm just exploring possibilities to get control of the Matter motored SmartWings shade that I just ordered.  I need to add a Thread Border Router and ZMatter isn't ready yet.  I don't think the Matter portion of SkyConnect is ready yet either, but SkyConnect looks to be much cheaper than the ZMatter USB.

Edited by carealtor
  • 2 weeks later...

@carealtor,

I don't know much about HA and SkyConnect. What I know is that our Matter implementation is working excellently with one huge roadblock: Matter commissioning requires Bluetooth connectivity (or WiFi). For Bluetooth, they use BlueZ which is a behemoth of code and very difficult to manage. What we did was to go directly to the HCI level so that things are a little cleaner and without all the gonk from BlueZ. Still a few bugs but very very close.

With kind regards,
Michel

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
8 hours ago, Michel Kohanim said:

@carealtor,

I don't know much about HA and SkyConnect. What I know is that our Matter implementation is working excellently with one huge roadblock: Matter commissioning requires Bluetooth connectivity (or WiFi). For Bluetooth, they use BlueZ which is a behemoth of code and very difficult to manage. What we did was to go directly to the HCI level so that things are a little cleaner and without all the gonk from BlueZ. Still a few bugs but very very close.

With kind regards,
Michel

Will your EISY Matter driver implementation be useable over Ethernet/WiFi as well as other protocols?

4 hours ago, Michel Kohanim said:

@larryllix,

It should create a local LAN network using Thread. But, so far, it has not been very reliable.

With kind regards,
Michel

Can Matter use a WiFi router but create it's own LAN and mesh protocol rather than existing WiFi protocols?

With the added ability to run Home Assistant on EISY, I'm wonder about the possibility of plugging Home Assistant's SkyConnect into an EISY? Of course, this assumes Home Assistant is running on the EISY box.  I'm not suggesting SkyConnect might work directly IOX.  I know this is what ZMatter USB is for.
While not desperate, I'm just exploring possibilities to get control of the Matter motored SmartWings shade that I just ordered.  I need to add a Thread Border Router and ZMatter isn't ready yet.  I don't think the Matter portion of SkyConnect is ready yet either, but SkyConnect looks to be much cheaper than the ZMatter USB.

The virtualization layer in FreeBSD doesn’t support passing through individual USB devices to virtual machines so you can’t pass through just the SkyConnect.

It does support passing through PCIe devices though, but unfortunately there is only a single USB controller in the eisy so if you pass it through that would mean all USB ports on the eisy would map to the virtual machine. That’s a no go for me since I need the eisy to talk to my PLM but might work for folks that only want USB for their HA VM.

I know some of these USB radios actually present as old fashioned serial devices. I haven’t looked at SkyConnect to see if that’s the case but if it is you might also be able to pass the serial device through to the HA VM.
  • 3 weeks later...
On 2/25/2024 at 12:29 PM, carealtor said:

It is my understanding that SkyConnect has been working with Thread for a long time, like over a year. While I have a SkyConnect, I have not bothered buying any thread devices yet, however I have a few Matter devices running on WiFi to experiment with. For Zigbee I use a Sonoff P dongle, Z-Wave a Zooz 700, and of course the SkyConnect which I setup in OpenThread firmware instead of using multiprotocol for Zigbee (I use Z2M so at the time I setup did not support as well).

The latest Home Assistant update allows for adding devices from other controllers now. So in your case, possibly if you added one to an existing border router like an Apple Homepod mini, or Google device, Home Assistant should theoretically be able to pick it up over WiFi from the Thread border router.

2024.4: Organize all the things! - Home Assistant (home-assistant.io)