Monday at 02:32 PM2 days So this is a little confusing.My ISY is no longer responsive. Programs don't run. I can't bring up the console. However, when I open Mobilinc Pro, I can see that according to Mobilinc Pro, the state variables show a last updated time that corresponds with my most recent power cycling. So that implies that Mobilinc is somehow able to see what the variables are and somehow knows the ISY was power cycled. I've tried with and without the PLM. I've tried power cycling several times. I've tried rebooting my router.Any other suggestions on what to try before I throw in the towel?
Monday at 02:35 PM2 days The usual first suggestion has been to turn off the power, take out the memory card, and clean the contacts with an eraser.
Monday at 02:47 PM2 days Author 12 minutes ago, Guy Lavoie said:The usual first suggestion has been to turn off the power, take out the memory card, and clean the contacts with an eraser.No joy. Anything else?
Monday at 02:49 PM2 days The second most common suggestion is to try another power supply. Sometimes it will still measure 12v with a meter, but not work.
Monday at 02:53 PM2 days Author Hmmm, easier said than done since I don't have a spare power supply. Anything else?
Monday at 04:17 PM2 days Author I've been trying a few other things.1) Pressed the device reset button, and after a few minutes, I was able to read and change variables via Mobilinc. I also was able to test that the variables are readable by IFTTT. But it still won't control devices nor can I log in to the admin console.2) I tried replacing the PLM with a spare. I'm now able to see the status of my Insteon devices, but I still can't control them. When I walk over to the switch and manually turn it on or off, Mobilinc can see that the state changed. But controlling the switch doesn't work. And still can't log in to the admin console.3) Put the old PLM back in, and I regained control of devices. Almost everything is now working. But I still can't log in to admin console.Any other thoughts before I try a factory reset? Edited Monday at 04:23 PM2 days by miataguy
Monday at 04:23 PM2 days If Mobilinc can connect isy is working. I think you need to be more specific about "can't log in to the admin console". Can't find IP Address? Credentials not accepted? Something else?
Monday at 04:32 PM2 days Are you able to log into your router and check to see an active connection and get the ip address? With the ip address, try putting http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:8080 (substituting your ip address for xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx) into the java iox finder manually and see if it pops up with the unit being present. If so, obviously open it.Also, try using ssh to log into it. In windows, type "powershell" into the search box to open powershell. from the prompt, type ssh admin@xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (again, subsitute your ip address) and then the password is also admin which it will prompt you for if is alive and responding at that ip. If you have apple, I don't know how to open an ssh session, but I'm sure you can google it.But again, I would take the earlier advice of a new power supply. I'm sure you have a suitable one somewhere in your house, just be sure it has sufficient amps. I forget what that number is, but look at your current ones amp rating and find one with at least that many amps. This is where power supplies fail, they peter out on the supply amps, so they may register 12v when under no load, but as soon as you start pulling a load, the volts drop. ISY can sort of work under these circumstances, which is seemingly your issue.Also, replacing the plm is likely to cause more issues than it solves. To properly replace a plm, you need to be able to log into ISY and tell it "restore plm" or all of the links will be wrong and that just confuses the issue more. A bad PLM would not prevent your from opening the admin console, so don't blame that on the plm. It would probably be better to boot ISY without any plm rather than the wrong one at this point.Again, my first thought would be a flaky power supply.
Monday at 04:33 PM2 days Author Things are working gradually. I managed to get in to the admin console by using the WAN address. It won't load using the local network address. But I'm making progress here.
Monday at 04:40 PM2 days 1 minute ago, miataguy said:Things are working gradually. I managed to get in to the admin console by using the WAN address. It won't load using the local network address. But I'm making progress here.By WAN address, do you mean using the portal address? Anyway, that would explain why UD mobile worked, probably you had it configured using the portal rather than a local connection. But if you are logged into the admin console, you can find your LAN ip listed in the settings section and try manually setting those into iox finder as I listed above. Did you set up your isy to have a static address in your router? Iox finder should find your ISY on its own, but if something is going on in your router, your router can block network discovery if configured to do so. I don't know how that would change all by itself, but maybe your router is getting flaky?
Monday at 04:44 PM2 days Author This setup had been working flawlessly for the past 10 years. Something must have changed, but I don't yet know what. As I said, I've been able to gradually get it to the point where everything now works except for the ability to log in via the LAN. Yes, I found the LAN address in the admin console, but it won't open that way. It only opens by using the WAN side IP of my router.
Monday at 05:01 PM2 days 10 minutes ago, miataguy said:This setup had been working flawlessly for the past 10 years. Something must have changed, but I don't yet know what. As I said, I've been able to gradually get it to the point where everything now works except for the ability to log in via the LAN.Yes, I found the LAN address in the admin console, but it won't open that way. It only opens by using the WAN side IP of my router.By WAN side of your router, you mean your public Ip address and then you have port forwarding setup? If that works, but being a computer on the same LAN can't see the ISY, then something is wrong with your router.You could also just ping your ISY from inside the LAN.Are you sure the computer you are using is on the same LAN? You don't have it on a guest network or some isolated network? And if your computer is on the same WAN as ISY, and you use WAN:port and have your router set with port forwarding, well that usually doesn't work. You usually can't bounce out of and then back into the same WAN like that. Typically you can only do that from a different WAN. Which would also explain why you aren't seeing ISY on your local connection.Another test, from your computer that is accessing isy, open a command prompt or powershell prompt and type ping xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx again where xxx.xxx.xxx..xxx is you LAN ip address of ISY. You should see 4 successful pings. If not, then you are either not on the same LAN (or VLAN) as ISY, or your router is doing something to block you.
Monday at 05:12 PM2 days Author 3 minutes ago, apostolakisl said:By WAN side of your router, you mean your public Ip address and then you have port forwarding setup? If that works, but being a computer on the same LAN can't see the ISY, then something is wrong with your router.You could also just ping your ISY from inside the LAN.Are you sure the computer you are using is on the same LAN? You don't have it on a guest network or some isolated network?And if your computer is on the same WAN as ISY, and you use WAN:port and have your router set with port forwarding, well that usually doesn't work. You usually can't bounce out of and then back into the same WAN like that. Typically you can only do that from a different WAN. Which would also explain why you aren't seeing ISY on your local connection.Another test, from your computer that is accessing isy, open a command prompt or powershell prompt and type ping xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx again where xxx.xxx.xxx..xxx is you LAN ip address of ISY. You should see 4 successful pings. If not, then you are either not on the same LAN (or VLAN) as ISY, or your router is doing something to block you.Yes, it works via port forwarding from the public IP.Yes, I'm sure its on the same LAN.As for your suggestion that my computer might be on a different WAN, the answer is no. The MacBook and ISY are both connected to the same LAN. The IoX launcher shows the LAN address of the ISY properly, but I can't click on it to open via the LAN. I have to manually add the WAN address and open it from there.Yes, I can ping the ISY on the LAN. Port forwarding wouldn't work if I couldn't.Not sure I agree with the "something is wrong with your router" suggestion. I've got dozens of devices on my network that are all working fine.
Monday at 06:17 PM2 days Solution 58 minutes ago, miataguy said:Yes, it works via port forwarding from the public IP.Yes, I'm sure its on the same LAN.As for your suggestion that my computer might be on a different WAN, the answer is no. The MacBook and ISY are both connected to the same LAN. The IoX launcher shows the LAN address of the ISY properly, but I can't click on it to open via the LAN. I have to manually add the WAN address and open it from there.Yes, I can ping the ISY on the LAN. Port forwarding wouldn't work if I couldn't.Not sure I agree with the "something is wrong with your router" suggestion. I've got dozens of devices on my network that are all working fine.Nothing is wrong with your router if you can ping the device using the lan address. I was under the impression that your ISY wasn't showing up on the IoX finder, not that it showed up and you couldn't click on it and get a menu. If you put in the LAN address, IoX finder finds it and correctly shows the firmware version and all, but when you click on the line it doesn't pull up a menu, well that isn't your router blocking it. It sounds more like a Java issue. Completely remove Java from your computer and reinstall it and then download the "start.jnlp" file from the forum. https://forum.universal-devices.com/topic/24381-iox-launcher/None of this explains why you said your programs weren't running.
Monday at 08:39 PM2 days Author Thanks for the suggestion on reinstalling Java. That fixed it.As for why other things weren't working, and why it came back piecemeal, who knows. Back when I was a practicing electrical engineer, when the unexplainable occurred, we would just say "Must have been a blast of EMI" and move on.
Yesterday at 04:16 PM1 day Author Interesting follow-up:Seems I have to clear the Java cache every time I want to load the admin console. If I don't clear the cache, IoX Launcher displays the URL/IP of the ISY, but the Type and Version fields are empty. If I then clear the Java cache, everything is back to normal.Why would I need to clear it every time? This is recent behavior.
Yesterday at 04:49 PM1 day @miataguy you mentioned above you're on a Macbook. What OS are you running? Apple is ending support for Java so it could be an OS issue depending on what version you're running. Also, be sure when you're clearing java cache that you select all 3 boxes to remove the installed applications AND applets. Also, I'm not sure if Apple OS stores the state files mentioned in the wiki like Windows computers, but you might want to also remove the ud*.state files if they're on your system the next time you clear the java cache. Not really sure if it would make a difference, but those are sometimes temp files that keep old information that need to be cleaned up. Perhaps your Apple OS isn't allowing the Java and UD IoX Launcher to properly clear/update the .state files. I know the state files is showing for a different issue, but it's also been an issue for some with old addresses showing up in the launcher address screen.Also, if you only have 1 ISY994 and on MacOS I might suggest you just get the admin.jnlp from the device and not have to use the launcher method. Since there are no longer firmware updates for the ISY994 then you would use the admin.jnlp to just go directly to the local device login screen. I forget the URL to download that from the local device (I think it is: http://your-isy-ip-address/admin.jnlp - of course replcae with your actual IP address).
Yesterday at 05:35 PM1 day 43 minutes ago, Geddy said:I forget the URL to download that from the local device (I think it is: http://your-isy-ip-address/admin.jnlp - of course replcae with your actual IP address).If I am not mistaken, I think it is actually http://your-isy-ip-address:8080/WEB/admin.jnlp on the ISY. If that doesn't work, try removing the port (i.e.":8080") from the ip address.
Yesterday at 06:15 PM1 day Author Tried the above. So far, nothing I've tried has allowed me to fire up the admin console twice without clearing the java cache in between.
Yesterday at 07:33 PM1 day Author Running Tahoe 26.7.1So I just tried deleting all the ud_ files, and now I can't fire up the admin console at all. Launcher recognizes the IP of the ISY, but the Type and Version are again blank.Tried restoring the deleted files - doesn't work. I'm now dead in the water again. Edited yesterday at 07:37 PM1 day by miataguy
Yesterday at 08:15 PM1 day It sounds like ISY (likely SD Card) is dying or there is a power supply issue. Networking is working but failing to supply endpoints.ipAddress/desc is unauthenticated and should work if you know the ipAddress, this is where finder gets the version. If this is failing to load then ISY is having issues.
Yesterday at 08:25 PM1 day Author I reinstalled Java, and it's now working again. But I still can't run the admin console twice without clearing Java cache in between. That's not a power supply issue or an SD issue. This is some sort of Java issue.
22 hours ago22 hr You could try a different computer and see if it has the same behavior. Keep in mind you had more issues than just the Java console. I would look into what @Javi said.
22 hours ago22 hr Author Latest: I unchecked the "Keep temporary files on my computer" in the Java console. That seems to have fixed it. Now it's working properly. I can open the admin console without clearing temporary files. Edited 22 hours ago22 hr by miataguy
Create an account or sign in to comment