after power fail

drw

What happens after a power fail and then the power is restored?

I know that programs can be designated to run at reboot and I assume they are run unconditionally at reboot. Running the "then" actions?

I have performed some experiments and have seen the ISY running some of my programs (that are not set to run on reboot).

Does the ISY go through the time (from midnight) running each program as required reaching the current time? And then setting the Insteon devices to the final states?

During a simulated power-fail (unplugging power to ISY), I have Insteon devices being set to state that they weren't in before the power fail.

I apologize if this has been answered before but I could not locate a specific answer.

What happens after a power fail and then the power is restored?

I know that programs can be designated to run at reboot and I assume they are run unconditionally at reboot. Running the "then" actions?

Correct, the Then path is unconditionally run for all programs that are enabled and are set to "Run at Reboot".

I have performed some experiments and have seen the ISY running some of my programs (that are not set to run on reboot).

Does the ISY go through the time (from midnight) running each program as required reaching the current time? And then setting the Insteon devices to the final states?

Correct, the ISY runs what it assumes are missed schedules for the current day. In a future version, we will likely make a flag available to control this.

During a simulated power-fail (unplugging power to ISY), I have Insteon devices being set to state that they weren't in before the power fail.

I'm not sure what your question is; I would assume that they are being changed by programs that are running when the ISY restarts.

drw & Chris;

Don't be so sure that ISY (programs) is the culprit of the errant Insteon power-ups after a power outage and subsequent return of power! I met my ISY for just that reason. I have 30+ Insteon devices and our home is the recipient of MANY outages. At one point I returned after several days to find a bunch of lights burning---for days. SH never got the Houselinc BS together, thankfully. That led me to UD, ISY and Michel's team. This little box has saved the day (and $) for me and my errant turn ons. I have written each device into an "all off" program which runs every 15 minutes when I'm not home (controlled by a KPL button). I'd highly suggest you and anyone who fears the power outage to do the same. All this thanks to Chris and Michel!

• 10 months later...

I have an ISY99 v2.6.7. We had a 1 hour power outage this morning and then my night lights didn't come on this evening - I've noticed this before.

The outage was from around 6:30am to 7:30am. Looking at the program summary the night lights have no "last run time" and have a "next scheduled run" time of 4:26pm tomorrow (it's based on an offset from the sunset time).

Interestingly I have another program set to run at a random time around 9:15pm nightly, which IS correctly scheduled for today!

So why didn't the ISY correctly schedule the lights in the original program to come on today rather than tomorrow?

- Andrew

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Correct me if I am wrong here, but I am pretty sure it works like this.

If you have the "catch up schedule at restart" box checked, it runs all the programs that had a scheduled time to run earlier that day regardless of whether it already ran or not. If you uncheck the box and leave the 15 minute grace period it checks to see if the program should have run in the last 15 minutes and only runs it in that case.

I think of it like this. When you boot the ISY, it sets the clock for 12am of that day and runs the clock at warp speed up to the current time triggering all the same programs along the way that would have triggered at normal speed.

Hello hbsh01,

My bad. It runs the If clause and if evaluated to true, then runs the Then clause.

If the program is enabled and if the condition would cause it to run regardless, then the program would run and has precedence over Run at startup. Run at startup basically forces programs that a) might not have conditions to cause it to run at startup OR B) are not enabled to run based on their condition.

With kind regards,

Michel

Archived