older Insteon dimmer and ISY-99

caykroyd

I have a bunch of older 2386 Switchlincs. I believe they are receive only (no transmit). I assume there are non-compatibilty issues with these and the ISY-99. Is this true? I'm thinking that I will be able to use these devices in rooms where I just want on/off. where I want scenes, I assume I need new switchlincs.

Am I correct? Or do I lose the ability to control these devices with the ISY-99?

caykroyd,

1. You can control these switches using ISY

2. If they do not transmit, then you will run into the following issues:

a. ISY will not know the status of your devices, and any change thereto, and therefore you cannot use them as triggers

b. They cannot control other devices

So, in short, if you only want to use them to control the load, you should be OK.

With kind regards,

Michel

I have a bunch of older 2386 Switchlincs. I believe they are receive only (no transmit). I assume there are non-compatibilty issues with these and the ISY-99. Is this true? I'm thinking that I will be able to use these devices in rooms where I just want on/off. where I want scenes, I assume I need new switchlincs.

Am I correct? Or do I lose the ability to control these devices with the ISY-99?

Just to clarify... the 2386 is an older SwitchLinc dimmer NOT an older Insteon dimmer. The 2386 will only receive X10 signals.

Uh oh. I didn't know this. I am having problems communicating with my whole house using an IR-543. I was thinking about getting some accesspoints to solve the problem. If I'm correct, accesspoints don't repeat X10. So, if I keep these 2386s as basic on/off only devices, I will still have the communication problem I think. Is this true? How else can I get better reliability with these devices?

I have about 10 of them, so I'd like to reuse some when upgrading to new insteon to save $400-$500.

caykroyd: I feel your pain. I exited the 2300 series switches in favor of all Insteon. The 2300's are rock solid, but in the long run, I tink you'll prefer the Insteon throughout. I sold all my old stuff on eBay and got an average of $20 or so on each switch. I know it wont defray the cost of Insteon by much, but it does help.

aLf

caykroyd,

Yes, you are right. AccessPoints do not transmit X10 and therefore you will continue having communication problems. Of course, if you have a lot of communication problems, you might want to find the source because, in all likelihood, you will have to deal with them in INSTEON as well.

With kind regards,

Michel

Just to clarify... the 2386 is an older SwitchLinc dimmer NOT an older Insteon dimmer. The 2386 will only receive X10 signals.

Uh oh. I didn't know this. I am having problems communicating with my whole house using an IR-543. I was thinking about getting some accesspoints to solve the problem. If I'm correct, accesspoints don't repeat X10. So, if I keep these 2386s as basic on/off only devices, I will still have the communication problem I think. Is this true? How else can I get better reliability with these devices?

I have about 10 of them, so I'd like to reuse some when upgrading to new insteon to save $400-$500.

Archived