Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Universal Devices Forum

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

lilyoyo1

Members
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by lilyoyo1

  1. lilyoyo1 replied to DAlter01's topic in ISY994
    There's a lot of interest...Just not a lot of desire to invest what it takes to achieve it. Smart products are growing in the homes.....full automation- is a different story
  2. Node limit is a better term than device limit since all devices are not created equally. The 1024 pro max applies to everything whether it's from a nodeserver, insteon or zwave.
  3. The problem with that approach is they still go towards your device limit. Depending on set-up, this can limit what he can do long term
  4. That's zwave for you. I would remove the nodes you don't need before moving to the next device. They'll add up quick if you don't. Once done go back to zwave menu and choose freeze nodes
  5. That's the one I'm talking about
  6. Every environment is different so it's hard to say. I have a portal that I use to add things right next to the ISY before installation. If everything is zwave plus, turn on network wide inclusion in the zwave menu. start your installation with whatever place is closest to the Isy and work your way out
  7. Do a remove/exclude from the system before trying to add. If that doesn't work, it's out of range
  8. lilyoyo1 replied to DAlter01's topic in ISY994
    I'm not digging that far back. This was months ago when it first appeared in the fcc database. Don't remember exactly when
  9. lilyoyo1 replied to DAlter01's topic in ISY994
    He did awhile back
  10. lilyoyo1 replied to DAlter01's topic in ISY994
    I'll share. I'm not that selfish
  11. lilyoyo1 replied to DAlter01's topic in ISY994
    Sorry, I'm already slated to win that one...maybe after the next
  12. lilyoyo1 replied to DAlter01's topic in ISY994
    True...at least they make it manageable for the end user..... you'll just be paying full price
  13. lilyoyo1 replied to DAlter01's topic in ISY994
    You taught me something. I always thought RR2 switches were incompatible with homeworks. Keep in mind, homeworks is dealer only. It would be up to your local installer whether or not they would re-use your older switches. I know many (including myself) do not like going behind existing work to avoid future service calls on devices that you didn't install
  14. lilyoyo1 replied to DAlter01's topic in ISY994
    To be honest, I think radio ra2 works better than C4 in regards to lighting. I just think their switches are ugly compared to C4 which is why I don't use them. You could do the free course (since you'll probably need just 1 repeater) or even the L2 course for 650 and then combine it with your isy for programming (use simplextech's nodeserver). You wouldn't need to pay anyone to set it up and manage it. While 650 bucks is alot just to be able to program something, it's much less than an installer would charge.
  15. lilyoyo1 replied to DAlter01's topic in ISY994
    According to speculation, insteon should've shut down since 2014. I guess If you say something long enough, eventually you'll be right! ?
  16. lilyoyo1 replied to DAlter01's topic in ISY994
    I agree with you in regards to the future which is why I buy what works best for me today and will deal with tomorrow when it comes vs buying for tomorrow. I think insteon and zwave can manage to survive....especially zwave. Regardless of what happens, I don't foresee either truly taking off in a way where they appeal to the masses. It'll be a niche market. Most do not want to invest the time and money to do a whole home properly. Once you start paying someone, the cost goes up exponentially more. Factor in the cost of swapping a few cheap wifi bulbs and an alexa, it's a no brainier for the avg consumer who's simply trying to control their bedroom, living room, and HVAC. Since they probably don't know anyone with a fully automated home (look how many people still require an app on here), they don't know the difference nor what they are missing to want more Personally, whenever we start building our new house, I'm going with C4 over insteon and zwave. I'll still use both for some things however, where it makes sense.
  17. lilyoyo1 replied to DAlter01's topic in ISY994
    I rarely see zwave anywhere yet I have 25+ devices in my home. Even before insteon tried retail, they weren't seen...yet they sold. I agree with you in that they should do a better job of marketing themselves and it would be great if they were more open about future plans. But that's not them and never has been. At the same time, how many people not interested in automation knows what's out there until they get into it. Most have never heard of crestron, C4, Savant, Homeworks, radio ra2, etc. Even with affordable systems, most don't know who aeotech, fibaro, Homeseer, Dome, etc. None are advertising like that individually to the masses. You may find ge and eaton in lowes/home depot but that's generally a couple of sku's limited to a few devices of each. If anything, the masses know homekit, and whatever wifi devices are cheapest that work with alexa/google...mainly alexa. The last few years has been exceptionally quiet so I get people having questions. My only thing is the outrageous stuff like this Plm talk or products being out of stock (when products are out all over).
  18. lilyoyo1 replied to DAlter01's topic in ISY994
    I edited to add more. The gist of my statement is just because it's not where you're at Doesnt mean it doesn't exist
  19. lilyoyo1 replied to DAlter01's topic in ISY994
    I can't find inovelli, Homeseer, dome, fibaro, and Leviton in stores in Charlotte or Southern California....Does that mean they're going out of business
  20. That is pretty much step by step. The wiki gives the full explanation. It's the same for all Isy's https://wiki.universal-devices.com/index.php?title=ISY-99i/ISY-26_INSTEON:Replacing_a_Device
  21. Keep in mind, the isy will not be aware of anything you do with the hub. Depending on how you set it up, that can impact your system.
  22. lilyoyo1 replied to DAlter01's topic in ISY994
    I'm not saying it's outrageous that a company would close off it's system. I'm saying that it's outrageous for the information to be right in front of people and they still believe the opposite of what they see. I'm looking at their history along with what information is presente to us. If one were to go by the fcc database (which is what we're doing here), both a new PLM and Hub are shown. Based on that alone, what they could potentially do is a moot point until they do it.
  23. lilyoyo1 replied to DAlter01's topic in ISY994
    This is where Im at as well. With the ISY supporting multiple protocols now- why choose 1. You can have the best of both worlds.
  24. lilyoyo1 replied to DAlter01's topic in ISY994
    I definitely agree with this statement. I think its that way for a lot of people. Nothing in the insteon world compares.
  25. lilyoyo1 replied to DAlter01's topic in ISY994
    They've released hubs along with PLMs all these years. This isn't something new. They have both a new hub and a new PLM showing in the FCC database. What out there has given any impression that their intentions are to take away the PLM? It's like people jump to the most outrageous of thoughts and run with it. They don't make products for the ISY or any other system. They make them for themselves since their inception. In fact, they were making software before the ISY. Yes the ISY is heads and tails above anything they've ever created but Insteon has still always been a hardware and software company. While many do buy the ISY and other systems to use with their devices, they also sell many of their own hubs on their own. You could probably make a case that most havent heard of the ISY or homeseer until after they've started down the path with the hub and decided they wanted more than it offers.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.