Problems adding SWL

Hi Guys;

I've had issues adding new swl and kpl recently.

I have a SWL that I'm trying to add to the ISY and it wont find it after I push the set button and it beeps.

I tried typing in the address and linking it that way and still nothing.

I reset the SWL in question by pulling the set tab and then pushing it in to reset the whole thing. Still, no luck.

Anybody else have this issue?

Any thoughts?

Drew

My first inclination is to suspect that your are trying to install a device on the opposite leg of your electrical system. Do you have access points installed, confirmed on opposite legs? Do you have any dual-band devices, confirmed on opposite legs?

I have two access points set up, one close to the power panel, the other on the opposite leg upstairs.

That's been good for ages now.

(When I read your reply I actually had to go and check to see if they were plugged in and working as I've not thought about them for years, but they're good)

Any other thoughts?

Next thing that I would check on would be location of PLM, and proximity to other electronic gadgets. An easy check is to get an extension cord and plug into outlet on same circuit as new devices and power the PLM from that. If that solves the problem, then this tends to suggest location of PLM is having some comm issues.

Are these brand new devices that your trying to add? What is your ISY Model and firmware version? I suspect you are trying to add I2CS protocol devices to older ISY firmwares that do not support the new I2CS link management commands.

-Xathros

What version firmware and UI are running on the 994i?

The V5.4 is probably the hardware version as Smarthome no longer puts firmware labels on the device. The 99i has to find the firmware version. When the device is added.

would rebooting (unplugging and plugging in) the ISY help?

I seem to be getting a number of communication issues when I try to make a scene or program (or when I open the ISY GUI)

The only new electrical stuff I have are six LED lights. I had issues with them.

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=12273

Everyone seems to think they weren't the issue.

When I try to "Write updates to device" I usually get this error.

"FAILED WRITING DEVICE LINK [-200000/-51]

Any thoughts?

Drew

Run Tools | Diagnostics | Event Viewer at LEVEL 3. Click the Write Updates to Device (assuming there are still pending updates) and post the event trace. It sounds like a comm problem, the trace should show that.

You can also connect the SwitchLinc to an Appliance cord and plug the device into the PLM plug point. That will confirm the device is functional and a comm problem at its current install location exists.

I tried writing updates to a KPL and it failed.

Here's the results

Sun 11/03/2013 08:36:48 AM : [18 58 67 1 ] Link 14 : 0F88 [A22A0CA6B9001A01] Writing [A22A0CA6B9001A01]

Sun 11/03/2013 08:36:48 AM : [iNST-TX-I1 ] 02 62 18 58 67 0F 28 0F

Sun 11/03/2013 08:36:48 AM : [iNST-ACK ] 02 62 18.58.67 0F 28 0F 06 SET-MSB(0F)

Sun 11/03/2013 08:36:57 AM : [iNST-TX-I1 ] 02 62 18 58 67 0F 28 0F

Sun 11/03/2013 08:36:57 AM : [iNST-ACK ] 02 62 18.58.67 0F 28 0F 06 SET-MSB(0F)

Sun 11/03/2013 08:37:06 AM : [iNST-TX-I1 ] 02 62 18 58 67 0F 28 0F

Sun 11/03/2013 08:37:06 AM : [iNST-ACK ] 02 62 18.58.67 0F 28 0F 06 SET-MSB(0F)

Sun 11/03/2013 08:37:10 AM : [18 58 67 1 ] Link 14 : 0F88 [A22A0CA6B9001A01] *Failed Writing [A22A0CA6B9001A01]

Sun 11/03/2013 08:37:10 AM : [ 18 58 67 1] ERR 1

It seems now when I open the ISY GUI I get a pile of "can't communicate" warnings.

Again, I can't think of what could be different but there must be.

What insteon units are incompatible with the ISY 994i?

(I've tried writing to many other units and they all fail writing.)

The Event Trace shows the KPL did not respond to the three attempts to send it a command. There should have been an 02 5x response after each command sent to the KPL.

Sun 11/03/2013 08:36:48 AM : [iNST-TX-I1 ] 02 62 18 58 67 0F 28 0F

Sun 11/03/2013 08:36:48 AM : [iNST-ACK ] 02 62 18.58.67 0F 28 0F 06 SET-MSB(0F)

no response from device

Sun 11/03/2013 08:36:57 AM : [iNST-TX-I1 ] 02 62 18 58 67 0F 28 0F

Sun 11/03/2013 08:36:57 AM : [iNST-ACK ] 02 62 18.58.67 0F 28 0F 06 SET-MSB(0F)

no response from device

Sun 11/03/2013 08:37:06 AM : [iNST-TX-I1 ] 02 62 18 58 67 0F 28 0F

Sun 11/03/2013 08:37:06 AM : [iNST-ACK ] 02 62 18.58.67 0F 28 0F 06 SET-MSB(0F)

no response from device

There are no Insteon devices that are expected not respond to commands. 99i, 994i makes no difference. With multiple device comm problems it can be a PLM issue, a problem on the PLM circuit, or if the devices are on the same circuit a problem with that circuit.

What is the origin of the question about what Insteon devices are not compatible with a 994i?

I thought there were insteon devices that were no longer supported by the 994i.

Maybe I'm mistaken.

Today I logged on and found that I have comm issues with 17 devices (all popped up with the 'cant communicate error')

(and as I type my office lights just faded) (?)

Its getting worse.

My problem is when the stuff works fine its bullet proof.

When I start to have one issue it seems to be many little issues.

I never seem to find the source.

Some programs aren't working.

I started having issues when I bought LED lights but everyone seems to say they weren't the issue.

I never solved why they made SWL freeze at 50%. I just moved them to different spots.

(They aren't on when I have all these issues so I don't think theyre the source)

Drew

I thought there were insteon devices that were no longer supported by the 994i.

I believe that any issues of insteon devices that are not supported would fall to the ISY-99 or ISY-26. I understood that the -994 is generally gaining support for all of the newest insteon devices.

I started having issues when I bought LED lights but everyone seems to say they weren't the issue.

I have a lot of LED bulbs and my system appears to be working fine (but I did run into an interesting problem the other day that appeared to be comm related). Having said this, I believe that there are a few random reports of certain LED bulbs that can cause problems. Do not ignore the possibility, especially since it is not overly difficult to temporarily remove bulbs and observe the effect on insteon performance.

I have no definitive response to this...only a personal theory with which some have disagreed.

My theory is that the "sense" current applied by some insteon devices keeps some level of power on attached devices. I don't know how much isolation between the sense current and line power there is, but I do not discount the possibility that some devices, when attached to some (those with a sense current) insteon devices can still cause problems.

My suspicion is that this is a low probability risk, but it is so easy to test (remove the bulbs) that I say, "why not remove the bulbs to see if it helps?"

Remove a few, test, remove a few more, test...perhaps one will jump out at you.

The Admin Console is reporting the comm problem indication from some previous incident, perhaps the 3AM Query All for so many devices to show problems. Starting the Admin Console does not force communication with the devices, it is only reporting the Red ! indicator. Right click and Query node to clear the Red !

With the change of season it could be the heating system. Could be a failing PLM. It can be frustrating evaluating intermittent Insteon issues due to the lack of good hardware tools from SmartLabs. Simply unscrewing the LED bulbs should be enough to remove them from question.

I'll take out the led bulbs and replace them with the bulbs I had previously

For test purposes, I don't believe it is necessary to replace anything. Take the LEDs out. Leave the fixture empty.

Also, I would start small. Take a few out. See if that helps.

I am lazy. I always try easy first.

I also agree with LeeG. Is it, possibly, the heating system? My hot water heater causes problems.

I havent been able to add the device to the ISY.

I've tried typing in the address and linking. I've tried autodiscover. Nothing

Is there another way?

Drew

(During my testing this morning I realized that when I try to add it to the ISY the SWL gives me a beep. That must mean its newer?)

All LED bulbs are out. Still getting about 15-20 cant communicate warnings, cant add SWL.

I shut the breaker off to the SWL. Still problems.

How do I test for a failing PLM?

Any other ideas? I'm running low here.

Drew

Archived