Ubi is here

garybixler

I think there is better priorities for the ISY team to spend their time on vs this. This is just my honest opinion.

Agreed. In fact, I don't think UDI needs to be involved at all in terms of voice integration. All we need is a network friendly voice interface and we can "roll our own".

-Xathros

I think there is better priorities for the ISY team to spend their time on vs this. This is just my honest opinion.

Agreed. In fact, I don't think UDI needs to be involved at all in terms of voice integration. All we need is a network friendly voice interface and we can "roll our own".

-Xathros

Exactly. Now we need to figure out what that solution is.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

Over the past few days I was working with Leor from UBI to figure out why the Rest commands were not working correctly. Bottom line is Leor was extremely accommodating and helpful, below is the URL to send as a "Get" command.

username: michael

pass: smellydog

ISY Port: 8082

Insteon ID: 0B.21.BC 1 notice the "1" after the ID, you must have it.

Format: http://username:pass@yourwebsite.com:Po ... es/insteon address/cmd/DFON

Http://michael:smellydog@ihatecats.com: ... st/nodes/B 21 BC 1/cmd/DFON

Hopefully this will help.

Hi Guys,

Over the past few days I was working with Leor from UBI to figure out why the Rest commands were not working correctly. Bottom line is Leor was extremely accommodating and helpful, below is the URL to send as a "Get" command.

Thanks for all your work on this to help this move forward. Do you have a breakdown of the list of commands? I know its early but have you been able to activate scenes?

The format is the exact same, the only difference is you replace the Insteon ID with the scene number, which you can find in the ISY admin panel. You can find the ID # at the top of the screen below the scene name.

scene id : 1411

replace /B 21 BC 1/ with

/1411/

commands you can find in the wiki for rest: http://wiki.universal-devices.com/index ... _Interface

make sure you use the correct on/off commands for each device. I had issues at first trying to use /CMD/DON (device on) when I should have been using /CMD/DFON (device fast on). my recommendation is to initially test all devices with the /DFON since they all accept it, and not all devices will respond to the /DON. one last thing. be sure to issue all commands in capital letters, I found that made a difference as well.

I have not messed with dimming or thermostats yet, thats next.

Awesome discussion here. Yes, there's a ton of work left for the Ubi and it required a lot of time / effort to get it to the point where we can reliably push updates to the device. While the Ubi has been shipped there is still a lot to be delivered. We're working on a number of updates that we'll be pushing down that should improve the usability and make it more useful for the applications here:

- Local HTTP request support

- More options for HTTP request out

- Ability to push HTTP request to the Ubi to speak back results / status

- Ability to pass variables within the HTTP request (e.g. "Turn [x] the [y]" will append the HTTP request with the values of x and y)

- DSP to improve voice pickup

- Playing music to the end of the song (this week... need to start with a sample as we cannot yet interrupt the Ubi)

- Reducing latency of requests

It's likely going to take up to 5 months to get the Ubi working much better but we'll be continually working to upgrade the Ubi. Also, no need to go to eBay or elsewhere! As it might take some time to get up and running to the level we want, we've offered to take back the Ubi in the meantime. huddaduda, please PM me and we can work something out :)

Hope to get mbrett's example running soon. We're trying to find out where it's getting stuck.

The Ubi-

Welcome to the UDI forums!

The ability to operate on the local network is most likely the most important feature to this community. I would test the http request from the Ubi but dont want to send my credentials in the clear outside of my LAN.

The ability to have Ubi speak on command is a close second on the priority scale for me.

Once again, welcome. I look forward to working with the the Ubi team and getting things working with out automation projects.

-Xathros

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...

About the same here. It sits in the corner, I have to retry setup almost daily because it won't do anything except beep. I retry setup and it will respond and will tell me the time when I ask. I do have the utterance set, so I can say I am home and it will send a text message to all our cell phones letting the household know I am home. I am patience and will wait until it will really do something.

Hi

I've just been adding some basic functions for it do from voice commands like arm/disarm the ELK and turn ON/OFF local lights as you can't be to far away from it right now. I sometimes use the timer function and play music. I'm kinda waiting for the production version that will supposedly add a lot more functionally

I did set up 8 or 10 custom behaviors to turn on / off lights, on/off tv, lock doors etc. They all worked but until I can send these commands from the local network, I have stopped using them. Right now it requires exposing the non secure http port of the ISY to the internet and sending your login credentials in the clear across the internet. I find this totally unacceptable. After posting a number of times on their site, I have found the lack of response from the developers there to be quite disappointing. Maybe I'm just spoiled by this community but it doesn't seem like the UBI folks are listening to their community at all. I am very interested in the technology and premise of the UBI and I will han on to mine for a while in the hops that they do improve the feature set and get their act together.

-Xathros

I did set up 8 or 10 custom behaviors to turn on / off lights, on/off tv, lock doors etc. They all worked but until I can send these commands from the local network, I have stopped using them. Right now it requires exposing the non secure http port of the ISY to the internet and sending your login credentials in the clear across the internet. I find this totally unacceptable. After posting a number of times on their site, I have found the lack of response from the developers there to be quite disappointing. Maybe I'm just spoiled by this community but it doesn't seem like the UBI folks are listening to their community at all. I am very interested in the technology and premise of the UBI and I will han on to mine for a while in the hops that they do improve the feature set and get their act together.

-Xathros

Xathros,

To be fair, the level of support and interaction from UDI is far above any known vendor I have used. I for one will sit on the side lines until such time as this product is ready for prime time. I have no stomach to Beta test yet for another vendor where the product is lack luster and the features which have been published is simply vapor ware.

If this device comes to fruition and has all of the basic / advanced features it just might be worth my time. After reading their forums and the level of interaction along with development.

I won't spend a dime at this time.

Teken . . .

My issues are also the same as Xathros. I dont like to have my info sent openly and also hate that the UBI light is always on. Which I hear is worse since I got the white one version and the light seeps through supposedly more than the black.

Maybe we should see if there they have an open API and find a developer to make something where we can "hack" the UBI to run internally on our own internal networks so it doesnt rely/bypasses theirs. Maybe running a UBI server on a rPi. Hmm what do you guys think about that? Am I on to something?

I have to add my comments about Michel, the ISY, forum members here and support team - all who are AMAZING! The customer service and support are incredible. Michel is always here helping and keeping is up to date on things, he is simply the best. All business owners big and small should look at what he does customer service wise and model their company after Universal Devices. [sorry end rant here, just cant say enough good things about UD & Michel]

Hello Xathros, Teken, huddadudda, et. al:

Thanks so very much for your kind words. Precisely the type of soothing words I would love to see at the end of a very long day. I must admit that my contributions are nothing compared to all the forum members who are always available and happy to help. I am quite proud to be a member of this community without which we wouldn't have been where we are now.

Thank you all and with kind regards,

Michel

• 5 months later...

I am hoping this thread is still active, since I have received my UBI this week but was not very successful to turn on my light.

The comand I am using is working fine from any browser and my ISY994 is accepting it. However, the same comand in my UBI is not doing anything but just thevoice announcement that the light has been turn on.

What am I doing wrong ?

See screenshot in attachment of my setup

Thanks

Ralf

post-4251-0-30830800-1407605548_thumb.png

I am hoping this thread is still active, since I have received my UBI this week but was not very successful to turn on my light.

The comand I am using is working fine from any browser and my ISY994 is accepting it. However, the same comand in my UBI is not doing anything but just thevoice announcement that the light has been turn on.

What am I doing wrong ?

See screenshot in attachment of my setup

Thanks

Ralf

The problem is the SSL settings in the ISSY dashboard.  Thanks to MWareman, we know that setting the SSL Server settings to SSL3, ALL, Verify unchecked will allow the UBI connections to succeed.

I have been using my UBI as the voice and ears for my ISY for a few months now.  It kinda works, as long as the TV isn't on, nobody else is talking and UBI is in a good mood. I find it more useful as an output device to let me know about critical events in the home rather than an input device for issuing commands.

-Xathros

Archived