Compatible Thermostat?

Kentinada

It is not changing states from awake to leave to return to sleep at the defined times. If I go through the process to set the time again, it jumps to the right phase. But it won't do it automatically. Defective thermostat maybe?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

See my reply on the other forum.

Ok thanks. One last question. Can I have 2 z-wave thermostats in the house running from the one controller? I have 2 zones in my house.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes, I have two Z-wave thermostats on the same ISY controlling two different furnaces and air conditioners.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Neither was I. I went zwave (a Trane unit). It's worked flawlessly for me.

Michael, if you don' t mind me asking, what was it about the Insteon 2441TH that you didn't like?

I'm in the market for a thermostat and Smarthome.com has refurbed 2441TH units for $39. I have the Z-Wave module in my ISY so I know I have a lot of options but none are nearly as low cost as that.  -- Jim

Michael, if you don' t mind me asking, what was it about the Insteon 2441TH that you didn't like?

It was extremely sensitive to glitches in the 24vac power caused by the HVAC cycling on and off - it would keep switching into the 'economy' mode and setting back the temperature - with no way to detect and reset the setting on the ISY.

Smarthome replaced the thermostat 3 times before effectively telling me it's a flawed design - and they refunded me.

Your milage may vary!

I think if you are an electronics buff you could make the 244TH work anywhere but it may take some ferrous toroid's and MOVs to take out all the spikes and such generated by HVAC equipment coils.

The 2441TH wasn't really ready for the market it was being sold for.

I have realised that every new smart thermostat has problems that need to be resolved. YMMV

The last quirk I found was the ecobee3. Awesome stat but heavy A/C load heats the triac relay up and makes temperature swings up to 8 and 10  degrees. Ecobee's tech support fix? Add a buffer relay in your furnace to reduce the current draw.

Nest's get firmware updates and can hang on reboot and users cannot stop it.

The list goes on. The Venstar has problems too but works quite well with a very particular installation. They all produce too much heat and have to be fudged. when a breeze comes they become very inaccurate. Mechanical types never had this problem. Ecobee3's  remote sensors can fix this problem somewhat.

The only problem I had with our Insteon thermostats was an error in my program. OTOH, I've heard a lot about some furnace igniters being a problem.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, it is too sensitive.

If you are electronically oriented there are many things you could try to alleviate the sensitivity problems.

These are typically components that a more responsible company would have installed after trial and error.

MOVs, inductors / toroids and a few other small components are the usual components used.

Sometimes PCBs will be found with empty solder pads for these components where the newbie engineer showed the old dogs how much cheaper the product can be made, with a pair of side cutters.

"When it stops working, put that part back in, whatever it does, and then try another one."

• 7 months later...

I thought I would chime in.  For the past 2 years, I have tried to get the Insteon wired thermostat to work with the wireless version.  All the programs work fine, but sometime, and too frequently, the wireless one does not trigger the wired one to change the temperature.  I have had help from several people, including programming in Queries, putting in range extenders, etc, and I still have problems.  It is rather uncomfortable to wake up at 3am in the winter with the temperature too high, or the summer with the temp too low.

I have this set up because we keep the temperature appropriate for our master bedroom when the children are not at home.  However, over holidays and some weeks of the summer when one or 2 children are at home, I put the wireless one in their room.

I concur that the Insteon thermostats are unstable.  Is there any hope for this technology?  Or, should I just bite the bullet and add another zone into my home?

Thanks,

Mitchell

I thought I would chime in.  For the past 2 years, I have tried to get the Insteon wired thermostat to work with the wireless version.  All the programs work fine, but sometime, and too frequently, the wireless one does not trigger the wired one to change the temperature.  I have had help from several people, including programming in Queries, putting in range extenders, etc, and I still have problems.  It is rather uncomfortable to wake up at 3am in the winter with the temperature too high, or the summer with the temp too low.

I have this set up because we keep the temperature appropriate for our master bedroom when the children are not at home.  However, over holidays and some weeks of the summer when one or 2 children are at home, I put the wireless one in their room.

I concur that the Insteon thermostats are unstable.  Is there any hope for this technology?  Or, should I just bite the bullet and add another zone into my home?

Thanks,

Mitchell

ecobee3 seems like the best choice for a remote sensor with automatic sensor switching based on motion detection. Multiple wireless sensors

Unfortunately this takes NodeLink running on a selection of computers, usually a RPi for price and reliability. Cloud dependant control and status.

Another alternative would be Venstar T7900, which can be accessed through NodeLink also, by no cloud dependence to be controlled. One wired sensor input available.

Archived