Device Not Responding This Morning

pinlawr

Hi all!

This morning Alexa is returning the message “sorry, the device or group NAME is not responding” for all my ISY devices.

The Alexa app can’t control the devices either. When trying to control a device the screen briefly says waiting for UDI, and at the top it says the server is unresponsive.

My ISY shows online in the portal, and MobiLinc connected to my.isy.io is working correctly.

I switched to the V3 skill last week and it had been working without issue.

Other Alexa commands still work, including changes to the Nest thermostats.

Any thoughts?

Hi all!

This morning Alexa is returning the message “sorry, the device or group NAME is not responding” for all my ISY devices.

The Alexa app can’t control the devices either. When trying to control a device the screen briefly says waiting for UDI, and at the top it says the server is unresponsive.

My ISY shows online in the portal, and MobiLinc connected to my.isy.io is working correctly.

I switched to the V3 skill last week and it had been working without issue.

Other Alexa commands still work, including changes to the Nest thermostats.

Any thoughts?

I'm experiencing the same thing.  All other Alexa functions work except UDI.  UDI Portal access is ok too

Hmm. Thanks guys. Right now I'm still seeing the issue. All other Alexa skills continue to work as usual. All methods of access to the ISY work fine, except Alexa (and the Alexa app), which still have the errors mentioned in my original post.

I contemplated disabling and re-adding the skill, but I would prefer that as a last resort so that I don't have to re-setup all my Alexa routines and Alexa app groups.

Always open to other ideas.

Hmm. Thanks guys. Right now I'm still seeing the issue. All other Alexa skills continue to work as usual. All methods of access to the ISY work fine, except Alexa (and the Alexa app), which still have the errors mentioned in my original post.

I contemplated disabling and re-adding the skill, but I would prefer that as a last resort so that I don't have to re-setup all my Alexa routines and Alexa app groups.

Always open to other ideas.

I tried deleting devices and then disabling and re-enabling the skill, and then rediscovering devices and now everything works ok.  Maybe that will work for you too.

I have V3 running. I have four Alexa Dots. All reply "Sorry, the device XXX is not responding"  On the other hand, My Google Home is controlling the devices just fine.

I had this problem with both Alexa and Google Home when I first updated from V2 to V3. I had to delete all devices and then disabling and re-enabling the skill in Alexa and in Google Home to get them both working again. Last night Alexa started with "Sorry, the device is not responding" again, yet Google Home still works fine to control my ISY.

Same problem for me. I deleted, reset the skill, all was good. 2 hours later, same result, nothing responding.

My system is set up with a bunch of groups, with one echo per group to allow "lights on" commands. Maybe I'll try resetting again and not adding the echos to the groups? Any other troubleshooting ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks, Michel - I sent a support email (and, my apologies, misspelled your name in the email). The request is #19484.

I've left it "broken" in case the support team needs any data while it's in this state.

I didn't see anything of note in the error logs, but hopefully they're useful.

So I went against doctor's advice and unlinked/relinked last night. The big difference this time is that I went from 4.x to 5.0.11. So far, 12 hours in, links are still working. POSSIBLE CLUE for UDI that wouldn't show up in the logs, I had an echo in the basement that keeps dropping off the network. It was included in a smart home group... Maybe this is Amazon's bug, related to one device in a group going offline?

Hi jpelzer,

Thanks so much for the hint. Benoit spent a lot of time going through the logs and there's literally nothing that may cause this above and beyond the normal culprits (ISY not online, device error, etc.) . So it seems to be quite possible that having a non working Echo in a group may cause these problems.

We'll take another look.

With kind regards,

Michel

Hello everyone,

After investigation, many errors are referring to non-existent spokens in ISY Portal.

This case can happen when a spoken has been added in ISY Portal, then discovered by Echo, then later deleted from ISY Portal. If such a spoken still exists in echo, it will be marked as (offline). You can still try to use it, the request will be sent to ISY Portal, but an error will be sent to Echo.

So, if you encounter that issue, please do the following in the echo app:

1 - Go to Settings / History, and look at the request understood by Alexa. Take note of the spoken.

2 - In Smart Home / Devices, lookup your spoken, see if it is marked offline. Please make a search to find out if you have more than one.

If you Created a spoken "abc", discover, remove it from ISY portal, then re-create spoken "abc", then discover, you will end up with 2 spokens named "abc". One of them will necessarily be marked offline. If that happens, please forget that device.

If you still have issues, please open a ticket and specify your uuid, and the date you tried it. ISY Portal has been updated an hour ago with additional logging to help troubleshoot this issue. If you already have a ticket opened, please reply to the ticket and let us know you still have the issue, and when you tried it.

Thanks,

Benoit

Hello everyone.  I just joined the forum and this is my first post.

I'm a new Universal Devices customer and my ISY994i-zw-ir-pro controller has been installed for about 5 weeks.  I have about 33 Insteon devices, 10 legacy X10 devices and 4 WiFi plugs with associated network resources.  I enabled the Alexa ISY skill on 11/26/2017 and I started with V3.  I have about 175 spoken commands configured.  Everything is working perfectly.

On two occasions since 11/26 I have had Alexa respond with "Sorry, the device or group is not responding" when given a spoken command.  Only spokens for the ISY V3 skill appear to have been affected.  (I also have a Honeywell thermostat skill that was working fine.)  A check of the scenes and devices in the Alexa app showed *all* of the ISY spokens as offline.  Device control through the ISY portal worked fine.

The fix for me on both occasions was to disable/unlink the ISY V3 skill, re-enable it and re-discover all device/scene spokens.  All the spokens were successfully re-discovered and then showed as online.  Spoken commands were then successful.

I don't remember the date/time of the first occurrence (it was about a week ago) but the second occurrence was this morning 12/11/2017 at 8:24am EST.  The last successful spoken command before that was at 12:39am EST.  I performed the relink/rediscover at 9:31am EST.

I chalked up the first occurrence as a fluke since I was making lots of additions and changes to my ISY controller and Alexa spoken commands.  The second occurrence this morning got me looking for answers online.  That's what led me to this forum thread.

From the other posts I'm guessing that this is a problem related to the Alexa ISY V3 skill and there is nothing wrong with my ISY controller or ISY portal.

Hopefully I've sufficiently summed up my observations.  Everything is working now but if I should have another occurrence please let me know if there is anything I can do to help shed light on the cause.

Regards,

Mike

Note - I later sent Benoit Mercier a PM at his request with my UUID.

Hello everyone.  I just joined the forum and this is my first post.

I'm a new Universal Devices customer and my ISY994i-zw-ir-pro controller has been installed for about 5 weeks.  I have about 33 Insteon devices, 10 legacy X10 devices and 4 WiFi plugs with associated network resources.  I enabled the Alexa ISY skill on 11/26/2017 and I started with V3.  I have about 175 spoken commands configured.  Everything is working perfectly.

On two occasions since 11/26 I have had Alexa respond with "Sorry, the device or group is not responding" when given a spoken command.  Only spokens for the ISY V3 skill appear to have been affected.  (I also have a Honeywell thermostat skill that was working fine.)  A check of the scenes and devices in the Alexa app showed *all* of the ISY spokens as offline.  Device control through the ISY portal worked fine.

The fix for me on both occasions was to disable/unlink the ISY V3 skill, re-enable it and re-discover all device/scene spokens.  All the spokens were successfully re-discovered and then showed as online.  Spoken commands were then successful.

I don't remember the date/time of the first occurrence (it was about a week ago) but the second occurrence was this morning 12/11/2017 at 8:24am EST.  The last successful spoken command before that was at 12:39am EST.  I performed the relink/rediscover at 9:31am EST.

I chalked up the first occurrence as a fluke since I was making lots of additions and changes to my ISY controller and Alexa spoken commands.  The second occurrence this morning got me looking for answers online.  That's what led me to this forum thread.

From the other posts I'm guessing that this is a problem related to the Alexa ISY V3 skill and there is nothing wrong with my ISY controller or ISY portal.

Hopefully I've sufficiently summed up my observations.  Everything is working now but if I should have another occurrence please let me know if there is anything I can do to help shed light on the cause.

Regards,

Mike

Hi Mike,

Can you either PM me or open a ticket and specify your UUID.

I will investigate this. The details you posted will help greatly.

Thanks,

Benoit.

I also just experienced this problem. Thanks to Condor for the fix. I've pm'd Benoit my uuid.

Some key times in case it helps:

~7:30am EST last successful command

~5:00pm EST first unsuccessful command

~5:30pm EST disable/enable skill

~5:30pm EST most recent successful command

I also noticed in Alexa devices/scenes were showing as offline (this was after I disabled the skill, didn't check prior). After discovering my devices all show as online and everything works as intended.

Thanks

rob

I had the same "not responding" problem yesterday morning (Sunday) when the same scene worked the night before (Saturday).  Nothing short of unlinking the v3 skill and adding it back again solved the problem - I first tried forgetting all devices and rediscovering without success.  I don't think that I had orphaned spokens, but I suppose that it's possible.

I also notice that my devices all have "There was a problem" in a banner at the top of each device page in the iOS app, despite the fact that they seem to work fine.  If I tap on the icon to toggle the device state, it works, the banner disappears, and then it returns in a second or so.  None of the devices mention "offline".

Rob

Hello Everyone,

Quick update, I have investigated Condor's log. It seems to point towards an oAuth2 authorization issue. 

When Condor's request failed at 13:24 EST, there is no request at all made to ISY portal.

The last working request is a discovery, which runs every hour or so automatically, and that was at 5:43 EST

I will need more time, but at least, I'm on something.

Thanks!

Benoit

Hello Everyone,

I found a potential cause for this issue and made a fix. This is now in production. I also added additional oAuth logging, should the fix not solve the problem.

Please report any other occurrence of this problem.

Please PM me:

- Your UUID

- Specify at what time the problem started, and if possible, when was the last successful request.

Feel free to fix it immediately by unlinking and relinking. 

Thanks for your help,

Benoit

Archived