4 minutes ago, FarmerGeek said:

was using edge, switched it IE and it worked fine.

If you haven't updated to the new chromium-based Edge, I recommend doing that. It has legacy support and IE is going away soon because it is not secure.

I have been writing some webpage software in the last few years and IE has become deprecated and does not support most of the newer constructs.
I eventually switched to FireFox due to bugs in the Edge and Chrome browsers but now the same bugs are creeping into FF lately too.

Most webpages will not even allow IE to connect  or display properly anymore.

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, danncas said:

so how does one run the admin console.  Other the the old explorer. I use chrome it doesn't work.

you asked the same thing here:

We gave you the answer and the link to this thread. 

Are you just yanking out chain?  Set up ISY Launcher on your desktop and be done with browsers.  If you're having a specific problem doing that then what version of windows are you using?

The launcher was developed specifically to get away from browsers being used to launch the admin console.

3 hours ago, danncas said:

so how does one run the admin console.  Other the the old explorer. I use chrome it doesn't work.

As @MrBill clearly states you've asked, it's been answered. But, now I've got to ask...what operating system are you running? Because you say "I use chrome". Are you on a Windows computer running the chrome browser or are you on a ChromeOS (Chromebook)? 

If on a Windows computer then just read the first post; it will guide you through the process.

Edited by Geddy
felt like it
  • Like 1

Don't know if this has been covered before in this thread, (no time to go through all the posts). I had many occasions where the launcher would not see my instance of isy. Turns out my problem had to do with my fortinet client being connected to my work network. Disconnect from the network, and launcher sees my isy ok. This drove me crazy for quite awhile

Regards,

BillyT

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Sorry to add on to this interminable thread, but I've noticed an issue that I don't think has been covered.

When I download and run start.jnlp, it installs an ISY Launcher icon on my desktop, just as advertised. This ISY Launcher works fine for a while, until the next time Java is updated. Then it stops working, saying that javaws.exe was not found. If I delete the ISY Launcher icon and repeat the installation procedure, it works fine once again.

When I inspect the ISY Launcher's properties, I see that it is a shortcut to a command that invokes "C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.8.0_301\bin\javaws.exe" -- that is, the javaws.exe that is part of a specific Java version. When Java is updated, this path changes and the old shortcut no longer works.

I wonder why ISY Launcher has a specific path baked into it, rather than just running whatever version of javaws.exe is current.

1 hour ago, eataft said:

This ISY Launcher works fine for a while, until the next time Java is updated.

This has been covered elsewhere…might not be easy to find in search.

But ultimately this happens with the Java update. It’s typically a good idea to clear Java Cache after an update and download a fresh launcher to reset the launcher app on the desktop. Typically this happens if you allow Java to reset warnings (if I recall correctly). 

I know I ran into this issue in the past. It’s not every time for me, but I’ve made a habit to just clear the cache if the icon goes away and to download a fresh launcher to “reinstall” the launcher icon.  

• Like 3
  • 1 month later...

Michel,

The ISY launcher 'new' auto sense does not work on my Win 10 system.  I have been having out of memory & not implemented error messages for months and updated the ISY firmware to v5.3.0 over 2 months ago to resolve the problem.

Today I cleared the Java cache including files/apps.  After doing so, the ISY Launcher was missing and I reinstalled it.  Upon launching the admin console, it reported that it was incompatible (v5.0.13D) with the firmware version (v5.3.0) and stops running.

I have opened a ticket since I can not get access to the ISY now and all of the articles suggesting how to find the curent admin console do not work.243459638_ISYAdminConsoleScreenshot2021-10-10053552.jpg.2542ac33412c54a610b4aaa18ac7a442.jpg

2 hours ago, Kloemri said:

Michel,

The ISY launcher 'new' auto sense does not work on my Win 10 system.  I have been having out of memory & not implemented error messages for months and updated the ISY firmware to v5.3.0 over 2 months ago to resolve the problem.

Today I cleared the Java cache including files/apps.  After doing so, the ISY Launcher was missing and I reinstalled it.  Upon launching the admin console, it reported that it was incompatible (v5.0.13D) with the firmware version (v5.3.0) and stops running.

I have opened a ticket since I can not get access to the ISY now and all of the articles suggesting how to find the curent admin console do not work.

Clear your java cache again and use this link to install the launcher: https://isy.universal-devices.com/start.jnlp

Do not use any previously downloaded files. (in fact you would be smart to delete any files named start.jnlp or admin.jnlp) It appears you are using a file on your hard drive to start the 5.0.13D admin console, and not using the launcher.  The first time the launcher runs it should install an icon on your desktop named ISY Launcher image.png.1e90b71b4260c039fb4430327e663956.png.  When using the launcher the correct version of the admin console will be run each time.

Edit: also note that the java cache memory expansion flag must be re-entered after the launcher is installed:  https://wiki.universal-devices.com/index.php?title=Main_Page#Admin_Console_is_very_slow_or_hangs

ALso consider using -Xmx1024m instead of -Xmx512m

Edited by MrBill
  • Like 2
  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, mcrohde said:

Question.   Is it document anywhere the you click on the Type column to get a list of which console you would like to open. It took me awhile to figure this out.

Anywhere on the row (that is in any column) should be clickable to reach the launch context menu.

10 minutes ago, PatPend said:

Is there a way to download admin.jnlp for 5.3.4 to the desktop (OSX High Sierra) rather than having to click through the launcher every time I need to use the console?

yes, same as always http://<IP.ADDR.OF.ISY>/admin.jnlp , replace <IP.ADDR.OF.ISY> with the local IP address.  

Also as always remember to clear your java cache and delete old copy's of the file when changing admin.jnlp versions.

As soon as you are logged into the Admin console with the new file, be sure to check your work but checking Help > About to make sure you're now using the correct version.

Edited by MrBill
19 hours ago, PatPend said:

Thanks, but it only works the first time.  Then I run into this problem - whose solution is to use the launcher.  

FWIW I'm on MacBook running OS X 11.13.6 and Java Script Version 8 update 181.

I'm sorry, I don't have a Mac, this does seem to come up more with Mac users, you might double check the Mac specific instructions https://wiki.universal-devices.com/index.php?title=Main_Page#MAC_Users:

I've been unsuccessful running the admin console directly more than once without getting java errors.  I tried it on the Mac and for giggles on Windows too, same result and error.

It would be great if the new launcher could save the last ISY rather than requiring the user to choose the ISY every time you need to use the console.  While it's true using the launcher eliminates the need to download a new admin.jnlp with each upgrade, in reality upgrades happen much less frequently than logging into the admin console (for me at least).   It appears more efficient to download a new admin.jnlp occasionally instead of performing the rigamarole of choosing the same ISY every single time you use the console. IMHO.

• Like 1
I've been unsuccessful running the admin console directly more than once without getting java errors.  I tried it on the Mac and for giggles on Windows too, same result and error.
It would be great if the new launcher could save the last ISY rather than requiring the user to choose the ISY every time you need to use the console.  While it's true using the launcher eliminates the need to download a new admin.jnlp with each upgrade, in reality upgrades happen much less frequently than logging into the admin console (for me at least).   It appears more efficient to download a new admin.jnlp occasionally instead of performing the rigamarole of choosing the same ISY every single time you use the console. IMHO.
I like that idea but the logic to still give options could be hard to implement.

My idea would be to pause for 10 seconds to allow intervention, and then run the last ISY IPaddress found in the previous success.

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

11 minutes ago, PatPend said:

Downloading admin.jnlp is still a perfectly valid and accepted method.  Also I think it works better for people with Mac's (but that's an unscientific observation).

The Launcher was invented to solve people issues with browsers security not wanting to let users Run Java programs, it also is designed to always run the correct version of the admin console based on the UI version.

"save the last ISY" is great, for someone that only has one.  If fact in my testing (unless something changed recently) if there is only one row in the finder window it won't even stop at the finder window instead it will just pop open the admin console for the ISY in the single row.    Saving the last doesn't work for me... my finder window is pretty busy... i have two ISY 994's and I'm running test versions of ISY on Polisy on two Polisy's... my finder window has about 6 rows every time I open it... if it ASSUMED which ISY I wanted to use, I'd never be able to choose another because that instance of Launcher will only run one admin console (I can start multiple instances of Launcher tho to run more than one at a time, but again... it can't assume that I want the last one I used).

If saving off admin.jnlp works well for you, by all means use that method, just remember that it must be replaced anytime you upgrade the firmware.  (although we tell everyone to re-install launcher when they upgrade I'm not sure why we do that, Looking at my finder window now I have 4 different firmware versions showing... when I right click and open an admin console Launcher does get the correct version of the admin console for the row I've selected.)

A really good principle to follow with user interfaces is to allow power users to do whatever they want to meet their needs, but to configure the default experience for a more typical user who just might want something simpler. I have three ISYs, (and an Insteon Hub), I but would vote to have a simpler interface by default, but one that allows me to dig down to whatever esoteric capabilities I might need. That's where the Insteon Hub interface fails miserably: more complex stuff is impossible, and it's not so easy to use anyway.

An example of a good interface is the Arduino IDE that always seems to do the right thing (Java based, incidentally, but it has never asked me to clear the cache, and it never prompts me to install the latest Java). The C++ compiler within the IDE relaxes some of the more arcane disciplines liked by, and perhaps needed by, power software developers, but confusing and unnecessary for the hobbyist.

@DAlbonese The only time I've ever encountered the error you  are showing is when I either didn't properly clear the java cache or had the wrong version of launcher installed. A third possibility is that you are having a memory issue with Java. To fix this you need to give Java access to more memory. Adding this command switch to the Runtime Command in Java will do that.

-Xms512m  or
-Xms1024m

Use one or the other, not both. I find 1024 works a bit faster on my system. I don't speak Mac so I can't tell you exactly how to accomplish that, but there is the command you need to add.

And just in case here is the link to the correct Launcher.
https://isy.universal-devices.com/start.jnlp

Edited by kzboray
  • Thanks 1