AEP Smart Meter & Energy Bridge

jblackst5000

I just received my new AEP Ohio Smart Meter. I have also ordered their Energy Bridge so I can keep track of my energy consumption. They also offer a free thermostat that you can control from "It's your Power App". I also have a ISY 994i and Elk panel that I use to control all of my home lighting, programs, Elk Panel, Garage Doors and more. My question is when I connect the AEP Energy Bridge to my network will this cause any compatibility problems with my ISY 994i. I know that there are also other ways to track your energy consumption using plug-ins for my ISY 994i but do not have much experience in using them. Just wanted to put this question out there for any guidance anyone may be able to provide.

Thank You.

Hello Michel,

Thanks so much for responding to my questions regarding my new AEP Smart Meter and Energy Bridge. I just received an e-mail back from AEP and the following third party devices are compatible.

Devices compatible with AEP’s Energy Bridge connected to their Smart Meter

Z-Wave

ZigBe

•Bulbs: Go Control LB60Z-1, Go Control Flood Bulb LBR20Z-1

•Plugs: Aeotec ZW096

•Switches: GE 12724 Dimmer Switch

•Window/Door Sensors: Aeotec ZW112

•Motion Sensors: Aeotec ZW100

•Moisture Sensors: Aeotec DSB45 (EOL)

•Thermostats: Powerley Thermostat

Can I buy the Zigbe SEP Module directly from Universal Device and would it be compatible with my ISY 994ir?. I have been thinking about being able to also use Z-Wave devices. Would I need to purchase another ISY 994 that includes Z-Wave? I know that Z-Wave door locks allow you to be able to see the status of your door (locked or unlocked).

Thanks again for all your help Michel.

Jim Blackston

• 10 months later...

If you guys click on the link - this External Z-Wave+ Module states "Use this module in case you have Zigbee module installed inside your ISY994. This module gets connected to your ISY’s Port A."

This seems to contradict the above, and I haven't seen this module for sale until relatively recently.

hmm.  so, if i want to do insteon and zwave automation, while also using the zigbee antenna for smart meter reading, i'll have to figure out a way to do that with a third party controller and work out some kind of protocol between it and the ISY.

has anyone else worked on something like this?

it looks like the short answer is yes.  not ideal, and certainly not what i'd suggest if you're going to have a large selection of zwave devices... but it looks like node-red could be an intermediary, among others, and I'm using words I don't really understand, but it looks like you can use polyglot, home assistant, and REST to link things programmatically.

sucks.  i was hoping for an easy solution to take care of the few zwave devices i'll have in a few months.

17 hours ago, fisix said:

hmm.  so, if i want to do insteon and zwave automation, while also using the zigbee antenna for smart meter reading, i'll have to figure out a way to do that with a third party controller and work out some kind of protocol between it and the ISY.

has anyone else worked on something like this?

it looks like the short answer is yes.  not ideal, and certainly not what i'd suggest if you're going to have a large selection of zwave devices... but it looks like node-red could be an intermediary, among others, and I'm using words I don't really understand, but it looks like you can use polyglot, home assistant, and REST to link things programmatically.

sucks.  i was hoping for an easy solution to take care of the few zwave devices i'll have in a few months.

Be careful with ZigBee. ZigBee never had any real higher level protocol standards until recently. Most devices older than a few years ago were not compatible with each other.

2 hours ago, larryllix said:

Be careful with ZigBee. ZigBee never had any real higher level protocol standards until recently. Most devices older than a few years ago were not compatible with each other.

Zigbee, or Zwave?  I'm using the Zigbee daughterboard purely to link up with my smart meter so that i can get real time power usage data.  I'll be using the zwave system to link up to some motorized blinds I purchased recently, and that should be delivered in the next few weeks.

Thanks!

2 hours ago, fisix said:

Zigbee, or Zwave?  I'm using the Zigbee daughterboard purely to link up with my smart meter so that i can get real time power usage data.  I'll be using the zwave system to link up to some motorized blinds I purchased recently, and that should be delivered in the next few weeks.

Thanks!

ZigBee has only recently developed some industry standards or perhaps nobody followed them.  The ISY ZigBee board only works with some utility metering and nothing else.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zigbee

Zwave went through this a few years ago but was always somewhat standardised between brands.

Archived