Where to next

7 hours ago, Michel Kohanim said:

Hi @asbril,

No worries, it'll be quite easy soon … i.e. you will have a box which allows you to install node servers from the store into your ISY:

https://polyglot.universal-devices.com/

We are working on the box … so, stay tuned for more exciting news soon.

With kind regards,
Michel

Hi Michel,

Most excellent and bravo for making the path to Node Servers adoption as Plug & Play as possible for all. Hope very much this box is energy efficient, scale-able, and offers a point and shoot UI to select the Poly's.

Now, just take my money already . . . :lol:  

1 hour ago, Teken said:

Hi Michel,

Most excellent and bravo for making the path to Node Servers adoption as Plug & Play as possible for all. Hope very much this box is energy efficient, scale-able, and offers a point and shoot UI to select the Poly's.

Now, just take my money already . . . :lol:  

Exactly. Can I go ahead and prepay. Lol. I'd definitely interested more things that I don't now with it

23 minutes ago, Michel Kohanim said:

Hi all,

Just some teasers: Quad Core @1Ghz, min 2GB RAM, Fanless, min 2 Ethernet jacks, SD Card. Options:

1. mSATA 

2. WiFi and Bluetooth

3. 3G 4G modem (some bugs)

Controversial feature:

Not Linux!

With kind regards,

Michel

Michel, this is in addition to the ISY correct and not a replacement!

Michel, this is in addition to the ISY correct and not a replacement!

I'm not going to cry if this new box is the preemptive strike to a 99X Series Controller!! ?

It's time for a more powerful controller that will meet the needs of 2020 and beyond.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
On 7/31/2018 at 6:31 PM, Teken said:

I'm not going to cry if this new box is the preemptive strike to a 99X Series Controller!! ?emoji106.png

It's time for a more powerful controller that will meet the needs of 2020 and beyond.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll take a new controller or add on either way. Regardless of path they take, I'll support them by purchasing.

1 hour ago, Michel Kohanim said:

Hi @lilyoyo1,

Currently yes. This said, we are also in the middle of investigating porting ISY over. We will definitely provide more accurate information with milestones and deadlines before we take your money!

With kind regards,

Michel

For some time I have had an idea that Polyglot would end up being ported into the same box with ISY.

The two Ethernet ports sounds real good with lots of promise.

20 hours ago, Scottmichaelj said:

@lilyoyo1 to me its not about cost, its about reliability and a system that is rock solid. That said, I would wonder if I took a look around my house, added up the phase coupler (and cost to add to the panels), my replaced items like PLMs (on my 4th one now), switches, etc, plus all the filterlinc's, you may be surprised at the cost. Surely I am not going to argue its all still cheaper than Lutron, but the plus side is you don't have all these extra items and it does all add up. 

I am not trying to say the Lutron RadioRA2 will replace my ISY controller, I will mostly be using Lutron for "lighting control". In my new home the floor plan is going to be very open, so with Lutron it will stop the "popcorn" effect with the lag that you see as well. So now for me it would be great to have a Lutron Node Server! Additionally I am looking at Lutron to control 7 zones of my HVAC with their small sensors so I don't need a thermostat in each room, then using the seeTEMP wall switch inserts.

I agree with reliability of course. But the downside of those solutions is that they're usually closed / proprietary. They want to use only their solutions, UIs, modules, etc. I don't know much about RadioRA2 but there's a good chance it's a proprietary. In that case, Lutron node server isn't likely to happen. 

In fact, that's the problem I have with z-wave as well. While Insteon if fairly open, z-wave is not. I think there's a large licensing fee involved and protocol is closed. open z-wave project is basically trying to reverse engineer it. 

Integrated solutions are great for people who pay installer to come in, set up the house and never touch or worry about it again though but it comes a more than monetary cost. 

I agree with reliability of course. But the downside of those solutions is that they're usually closed / proprietary. They want to use only their solutions, UIs, modules, etc. I don't know much about RadioRA2 but there's a good chance it's a proprietary. In that case, Lutron node server isn't likely to happen. 
In fact, that's the problem I have with z-wave as well. While Insteon if fairly open, z-wave is not. I think there's a large licensing fee involved and protocol is closed. open z-wave project is basically trying to reverse engineer it. 
Integrated solutions are great for people who pay installer to come in, set up the house and never touch or worry about it again though but it comes a more than monetary cost. 

It appears online via GitHub a node.js and documentation for what appears to show the command structure for Lutron RadioRA2.

https://github.com/djMax/radiora2

http://www.lutron.com/TechnicalDocumentLibrary/040249.pdf
Ok, maybe it's more open than z-wave even if completely proprietary. So I suppose node server is possible. If I get a new house and go with this, I'll write it 

[mention=2229]firstone[/mention], or you can write one for [mention=166]Scottmichaelj[/mention]

With kind regards,

Michel

I would be willing to pay. I could setup a system and you could remote in and just start with basic items and then move forward from there. I think this would be nice for UDI too as installers could buy an ISY to add additional other components in the home as well for their installations.

Edit:@xKing found this,

https://github.com/thecynic/pylutron/blob/master/README.md

@Michel Kohanim

When I was working I ran a few FreeBSD machines that literally stayed up years at a time on consumer grade hardware.  I think it's a serious OS, one that I incidentally found to be as reliable as Tru64 Unix and Sun Solaris, back in their day, for smaller, fire and forget type networked services that didn't require serious hardware. 

Are you intending to support Nodelink on the same box? 

Congratulations in advance.  If you get the hardware right, then we have every reason to expect this box to be a rock, kinda like the ISY, only simpler.

50 minutes ago, smokegrub said:

How will this affect Mac users?

As a Mac user myself, I'm not sure which part part of the thread you're referring to, but I don't see anything that'll affect Mac users any differently than anyone else.  It's all good, especially if you're interested in extending your ISY's capabilities with node servers but have hesitated due to the complexities of setting them up.  Currently, there are 36 node servers in the Polyglot NodeServer Store, which means there are a lot of devices you can bring into your ISY as native residents. 

Of particular interest to you might be the Wireless Tag node server -- it makes integrating CAO Wireless Tags into your ISY so much easier than fussing around with Kumoapps and variables.

I think Michel gave us a glimpse into his thinking about the future with this:

1. Instead of discussing INSTEON vs. Z-Wave, may I humbly suggest spending more time discussing node servers (will replace both INSTEON and Z-Wave )
2. Enjoy whichever you have till one or both of them go away!

I'm getting jazzed about this new Polyglot device.  I don't need it, but I'll buy it.

@Bumbershoot,

Thanks so very much for the vote of confidence. It was a very long and arduous road especially since we come from RTOS world where everything is deterministic (i.e. in ISY, we know precisely when tasks run). Of course, like all others, we started with Linux but after a while had to abandon it:

1. Licensing issues are ambiguous at best (to me, the seem quite hostile)
2. Low level development (C/C++) is a nightmare as you will have to install xxx-devel packages, system v vs. udev, and the list is long

The only drawback for BSD is lack of support for some esoteric hardware.

We are all quite happy!

With kind regards,
Michel

Archived