Control of alarm
Control of thermostats
Control of IFTTT applets
Flash light when new Twitter follower
Geo based Logitech Harmony scenes
Geo based Nexia

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, mwester said:

Voice commands only - not even sure that echo/Alexa can do more than that for HA.  I've never even checked, because I strive to make as much of my HA *independent of the internet/cloud* as I possibly can!

I am glad you share my thoughts.  I think this whole internet/cloud/subscription stuff is doing everyone a disservice. All it does is train people to give away their personal information  beware you are being watched and tracked. I was shocked how many devices send info to the manufacturer with out your knowledge 

• Like 2

I keep my use of voice commands very simple and very low. My "ON" commands turn on the lights that I use 90% for a given room and my "OFF" commands will turn off the whole room regardless of what scene is on.

During the day/evening, I use keypads for most operations as I have a lot of windows so lights does not necessarily need to be used. Besides, the system doesn't know whether I want to relax, have a super bright room, or levels slightly lower. 

Late at night, automation kicks in. My motion sensors will automatically turn lights on for me at low levels (which I can over ride if needed for more lighting). Some areas are always automed such as bathrooms that do not have a window and closets. 

Edited by lilyoyo1

I've used google and amazon with ISY just for voice control.  Like mwester I am not aware of anything else it can do.  I also am not a huge fan of everything going to the cloud.  Unfortunately, no one seems to be making any speech recognition product that keeps it all local.  My voice control so far includes lights and my whole house audio system.  Unfortunately, my whole house system does not have any integration features, so I have had to use a global cache and teach it all the IR commands and then use ISY network resources to trigger those.

23 hours ago, Autonow said:

I am glad you share my thoughts.  I think this whole internet/cloud/subscription stuff is doing everyone a disservice. All it does is train people to give away their personal information  beware you are being watched and tracked. I was shocked how many devices send info to the manufacturer with out your knowledge 

Absolutely.  I don't mind adding some cloud services as extra conveniences in places but as an example, last night my cable modem glitched and the house lost internet.  All the "Alexa, turn on the office light" in the world would not have gotten me the lights turned on so I go reboot it.  As a basic level home control should reside in the *home* from my perspective.

On 8/24/2018 at 7:30 AM, Autonow said:

Would people please share their stories on how they are using echo/Alexa for their HA projects. 

Besides voice commands like turn this light on/off etc what else are you doing? 

I haven't seen this mentioned here, but I'm using Notify Me (an Echo skill) to enunciate the status of various items in my HA setup.  I use it to announce when various household members cross a geofence, when a program starts supplemental irrigation on hot days, to enunciate the status of my security system when I issue Alexa the "goodnight" command; basically to vocalize things we're interested in.  This relieves me from having to look at something -- a phone, a light, smartwatch, etc. -- to know the status of things.

Edited by Bumbershoot

My primary focus for the whole voice control system has been to allow those with limited mobility / complete disability. Voice control has re-open the door to those who have been impacted by health issues: Stroke, Old Age. Many friends and family who came back from the war and lost limbs have benefited from voice control. Other technical uses is having the ability to query Alexa to tell me real time stats, conditions, and environmentals: Power / Energy, Force Protection, Resource Uses / Status, etc.

All of the above requires the person to inquire / ask Alexa and thus this is a proactive approach. What Bumbershoot has offered is a close gap in reactive response for the system. My hopes are in time Amazon will finalize the ability where Alexa can offer both reactive and proactive response.

In the interim I have enjoyed a fantastic reactive voice announcement which I call Julie U.S.

This system offers literally 90% of what I want, need, and must have in terms of insight and global awareness. Many people think the *Asking* part is the most important aspect but for me having used both for years now. In my world being told something that is happening is more insightful, powerful, and meaningful.

4 hours ago, Bumbershoot said:

I haven't seen this mentioned here, but I'm using Notify Me (an Echo skill) to enunciate the status of various items in my HA setup.  I use it to announce when various household members cross a geofence, when a program starts supplemental irrigation on hot days, to enunciate the status of my security system when I issue Alexa the "goodnight" command; basically to vocalize things we're interested in.  This relieves me from having to look at something -- a phone, a light, smartwatch, etc. -- to know the status of things.

Thanks for that.  Didn't know about notify me.

By the way - if anyone is using Sonos then via the Home Assistant support you can have any or all your Sonos speakers say anything you want via that path also.  I have added Sonos control via HA to my version of the softconsole (probably will push that version if anyone else wants it) but am not doing any announcements at this point.  Just another possible way to voice things from the automation system.